How to transition to crib?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
dodson_clan_5

Re : How to transition to crib?

Postby dodson_clan_5 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 04:47 pm

I am finding this soooo helpful and I hope it's helping you as well...lots of wonderful ideas!!!!! I am also FOR the monitors :-)

hols537

Postby hols537 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 01:46 pm

I'd start a routine about 15 minutes to an hour before she settles in for the night (that is, when she only wakes to feed or be cuddled). Starting a while before putting her down, allows her to calm down and eventually will become the signal to her that it's time to go to bed. Alexander had a longer routine (PJs, books, rocking, nursing and then bed), Jonathan has a much shorter routine - it depends on the kid and your lifestyle. I'm a big advocate of the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Marc Weissbluth. In fact, my copy is on loan to a friend and I need it back to consult how to get Jonathan to stop waking up to eat!

To your specific question about how to set a bedtime...we considered it bedtime when we put the boys down and weren't going to allow them to play if they were awake. Feedings happened in their rooms after that, we didn't turn lights on, we didn't talk or play - if they woke after "bedtime", it was just business. Good luck!

dodson_clan_5

Postby dodson_clan_5 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 01:42 am

These are some wonderful ideas. I just posted about my fear of putting Kayla in her crib. This does help. She has a good routine in her Pack N Play and I don't want to mess them up, but I guess now is better time than any to transition since she is 4 months old. If you see my post you will understand more why I have waited, but I really need to get over my fear!!!! Good Luck and keep us updated!!!

suleaf

Postby suleaf » Thu Jun 11, 2009 08:02 pm

Oh Jen welcome to my life!

I started a bedtime routine with Sam Jam. I bathe him, put him in baby jammies, nurse him and put him in his crib. This is around 7:30 pm to 8 pm. But he's like Bridget's Logan..... he goes down from 8 pm to 1 or 2 am... and then he's up at 4:30. Then 6. But at least that stretch from 8 pm to 1 or 2 am is something!

This started somewhere around 6 weeks. When I started the routine, I dragged his pack and play into his own room. He slept fine in there. Then I moved him to his crib. And he was perfectly fine in there too. He's doing much better at night since he's been in his crib actually- that is when I got the longer stretch of sleep.... I think we were all driving each other crazy at night.

halo79rn

Postby halo79rn » Thu Jun 11, 2009 05:00 pm

what I did was start a routine at 5 or 6wks. Nothing was firm other than at 7pm, we'd have bathtime, nurse, read a book, and then put them in their crib. If they fussed, I'd rock them a little while and try again. if they stayed awake, but calm, I left them in the crib. Libby had been eating every two hours around the clock b/c we had to force feed her the first 3 wks. within a week of the routine (she was willingly eating by now and had gained enough that the pedi said I could loosen up a bit), she was eating at 9p, 11p, then not until 5ish (give or take an hour), then back to every 2hrs. My son did something similar at 6wks, only he would sleep from 8 to 1or 2 and then be up again at 4, 6, and so on... by 3 months my daughter was sleeping 10hr nights most every night (I mean, they all have their nights)... and by 5 months,my son was doing the same most every night. I have no idea if the routine makes a big difference. I'd like to think it teaches them to differentiate between daytime and nightime... but who knows? made me feel more sane though. Most nights I was going to bed with them at 8, I'd sleep until the 2 o'clock feeding (Adam would feed them a bottle of pumped milk for that half of the night, I'd get second half)

it all falls into place eventually. hang in there. get some rest when you can.

joker

How to transition to crib?

Postby joker » Thu Jun 11, 2009 04:43 pm

So I want to start to transition Alison to her crib to sleep at night over the next few weeks. I go back to work August 1, so that gives me six weeks left at home and I would like to have her sleeping in her crib by then.

I also think I need to start a bedtime routine and schedule. Right now she generally eats around 8-9pm, then again around midnight and then sleeps until about 4am (although she wakes up an hour after falling asleep at midnight and fusses. I don't know what to do to break that habit.) But, how do I start a bedtime with her when she eats her last bottle at midnight?

This mommy stuff is hard!

Return to “After your baby is born .....”