anyone having difficulty losing weight now?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
halo79rn

Re : anyone having difficulty losing weight now?

Postby halo79rn » Sat Jun 13, 2009 04:16 pm

thanks everyone.
AmandaH, I did have "borderline" hypothyroid readings a year before my first pg, but since then, they've been within normal limits... I had the panel drawn a year ago because I was finally not pg to get a good reading. lol. but great suggestion. I am due for another physical.
I may just join the Y. I do know that I am sleep deprived. I work 12 hr nights, and don't sleep well around those shifts.
I did complete a 5K today (jog/walk/jog/walk). 1st mile in 13minutes... the next two took a little longer b/c my friend and I had to keep stopping for our fussy kids. They were getting tired and hungry... we had snacks for them, but had to stop to hand them to them. So 45 minutes (4 years ago, I would have completed it in less than 30minutes). but no heart attack! So I'm feeling pumped to keep trying.

annes
Forum Moderator

Postby annes » Sat Jun 13, 2009 01:15 pm

Not that I am happy that anyone is having difficulty losing weight, but I am honestly glad I am not the only one. My problem is that I feel really run down, and when I feel that way, I eat too much. I am having no problem maintainig my weight, just can't seem to lose it. So, still working on 17 lbs. Good luck to all, as I sit here eating Hot Tamales!

amandah

Postby amandah » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:20 pm

I have severe hypothyroidism keeping me from losing the weight, tired, sore and achy, joint pain, hair loss, concentration issues, and just emotionally physically and mentally exhausted. I was biking 8-10 miles a day on a gravel/dirt trail (up and down hills) and not budging a pound. i would talk to your doctor and see if you can get tested if you fit any of these symptoms. I started meds 3 weeks ago at the lowest dose (the make every one start there usually) and then i go back in a week to check my levels and most definitely up the dose. So far i started to lose but i feel just as bad so hopefully when i get my meds adjusted the weight should just fall off as my doctor puts it. fingers crossed

dodson_clan_5

Postby dodson_clan_5 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 04:50 pm

I agree with Sonja! What a wonderful idea! Good Luck, honey! I know it will all fall into place! Maybe even keep a journal, if anything it will be cool to look back on and say "I kicked this Weight's butt" because you will :-)

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Fri Jun 12, 2009 04:03 pm

I belong to a Y and love it - we have great childcare at ours, so while I am getting a workout and some ME time my kids are having fun playing. You can also shower at the gym and get a chance to shower in peace!

kdreher

Postby kdreher » Fri Jun 12, 2009 03:35 pm

I am. I have about 20 lbs to loose and it's hard for me to get into a routine. I think moms do so much more than dads and it's hard to find OUR time. I am trying to watch my diet, use the gym at work at lunch, and walk at least 30 min with the dog after dinner. It's not easy. I was on the Depo for a month before I had the Essure done and that helped deflat my lower belly a bit.

halo79rn

Postby halo79rn » Thu Jun 11, 2009 04:52 pm

unfortunately, I don't have many opportunities to go alone... my husband and I work alternating shifts. so the nights I don't work, he is working later evenings so that the nights I work, he can come home a little early so I can nap. I only work 2 nights a week, but man, does that mess me up for days after. I know that my schedule is a big obstacle. I cannot jog the days after I work. I barely function to keep up with the kids. I try to schedule around weekends so I can sleep after a shift, but sometimes I'm staying up after a shift until that night. so no, I'm not sleeping well.

I love the P&T! It's what I use as well. I was unsure about jogging with it, so test drove a few at BRU , they were crappy strollers.. they were less expensive. I wasn't going to spend that again on a stroller... so tried with the P&T and easy breezy! So usually it's me, the kids and our dog (which he adds to the chaos of it as well)... I need a treadmill. Maybe I'll join the Y?

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Thu Jun 11, 2009 04:28 pm

Bridget, running with your two kids in the Phil & Ted's is a WORLD different from running solo. I do both. With my two, I'm looking at an additional 75 lbs. between the stroller and the kid cargo -- that's A LOT of weight to *push*. I can go at least twice as far without the kids and I'm far less fatigued. Have you tried a run without them for comparison's sake? I usually only take mine with me if I need a really hard workout or DH isn't around ;). I know you're training, but I'd also try to schedule a day off during the week and really push yourself the other days you're on (I do two days off a week).

Two things to keep in mind: 1) make sure (I know this is hard) you get enough sleep, especially now, and 2) try to not compensate calories for the ones you are burning. If I take an extended vacation and start back, I want to eat like a horse because I feel like I'm starving (especially late at night), so keep an eye on that if you aren't already.

Otherwise, I think it just takes time. Don't discredit yourself; pushing two kids in a double is a TON more work than you're giving yourself credit!!!!

dodson_clan_5

Postby dodson_clan_5 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 04:11 pm

Hi! I just want to assure you that this is normal and I am going through the same thing....some days it really gets be down. I noticed when I don't try I lose the weight. Then I stress eat (still on BP meds at 4 months Post Partum) and I gain. So keep up the walking and even exercise in your living room (work out DVDs)! I have a mommy and baby one I can give to you...let me know :-) I am happy to do it! Thank you for sharing this. I can totally relate and I know it's hard, but this too shall pass. You are doing your best and that is all we can do! GOD BLESS!

halo79rn

anyone having difficulty losing weight now?

Postby halo79rn » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:33 am

Hi! it's been a while.

I just cannot lose weight now. I bf both children. Logan weaned in January, and I initially gained a little. But now, I've been watching my weight, trying to train for a 5k.... I cannot get my endurance up... having a really hard time with jogging for an extended period (and I've been training for about 8 wks)... 7 wks 3 times a day and I don't know that I could jog a half mile straight. Not sure if it's b/c I'm pushing both kids in the stroller.. but even still, I should be improving quicker than this, right? My weight is in my midsection and not going away. my b/p was fine last I checked, been a few weeks. I really want to get in shape again b/c I feel rotten. I know a lot of that has to do with me working night shifts... that completely messes the system up.

anyone else having this issue or had this issue? any tips to help me along or words of inspiration/wisdom/motivation? I'm really bummed out this isn't as easy as it used to be. pre children I'd jog 3 miles a day just for the heck of it. I jogged a few months between babies... and have attempted a few times since having my son. Since having him, it's just really harder than ever to build endurance.

Return to “After your baby is born .....”