OK weissbluth sleep question....

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
season
Forum Moderator

Re : OK weissbluth sleep question....

Postby season » Fri May 29, 2009 11:37 am

Su -

I think you need to decide what you want for him long term. Like Heather said - if you are going back to work and need him getting up, then working toward that wake-up time might be a good idea. I did not work and so my baby who like to sleep in late was able to continue (I homeschool too so now he's 7yo and still asleep at 8:30 am today.) It does sound like you too are getting good sleep at that time though - so it's something to consider.

In my experience the big chunk of time he's awake in the middle of the night will go away eventually. Do your best to keep that time dark and quiet, so he does not find it "fun" to be awake in the middle of the night.

I can not say whether you should keep him in his crib or with you - as I co-slept all night - you have to again decide what works for your family.

surefoott

Postby surefoott » Fri May 29, 2009 10:51 am

I think Jen hit the nail on the head when she said that you should go along with the baby's natural sleep schedule. AND, definitely relax and not worry if he is not on a schedule, or a 'traditional' schedule whatever that means. Of my 3 kids, I can say that they were each different types of sleepers and none of them followed the same type of schedule. After my first one, when I finally figured out that she wasn't going to be a baby who slept much and that it was OKAY that she was just that way, we never really had much of a schedule for any of them. My 3rd never actually got to finish a nap, since she was always picked up and taken somewhere as I had 2 older kids to take to school, Scouts, ball practice, swim lessons, you name it.
I can tell you that all 3 are well-adjusted functioning adults with their own families. I think that way too much emphasis is put on forcing our children into some sort of schedule that might just go against their normal built-in patterns.
That being said, I say relax and enjoy your adorable little baby boy! And if he does get going on some sort of schedule, I can tell you that he will change once you think you've got it down! HA HA.
Have fun with him, he will grow so fast you won't believe it.

hols537

Postby hols537 » Fri May 29, 2009 07:01 am

The big thing with Weissbluth is to work with the baby's natural sleep rhythms. If his natural schedule works for him and you, go with it. It's a little out of sync with the majority, but there are always exceptions to the rule. Alexander was very "by the book" with his schedules. Jonathan does a little more of his own thing. My biggest lessons were to put them to bed earlier if they weren't sleeping well at night and to follow the 2 hours of wakefulness rule when they were young infants.

jenanderson

Postby jenanderson » Fri May 29, 2009 01:38 am

I personally say go with your baby and your gut. What is your gut telling you to do? I so remember not trusting my guy with my 1st, I wish I would have! You really can't do all that much damage at this point. I think I heard somewhere that any habits that form can be undone in under 1 week with babies and young children. Don't ask me where I got that info, but I know one of my friends told me this! I have never insisted on a schedule for my kids, I can't force myself to be on one either! That being said I work from my home and my only restriction is a portion of it needs to happen during daylight, we can be lazy in the morning and it's not world (or work!) ending.
So...all that to say, do what works for now and when it doesn't work any longer...change it! I promise his sleep patterns now won't do any permanent damages (at least not that I know of!).
Kick back...Relax...and ENJOY HIM!!!
I really do hope you are having an easier time as he gets older!

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Fri May 29, 2009 00:15 am

LOL, Julie. Perhaps my kids just inherited my laziness. My boyfriend in 8th grade nicknamed me Garfield due to my love of sleep and food. But I digress (and hijack).

julie f

Postby julie f » Thu May 28, 2009 11:16 pm

Ok, I'm obviously four years too late to this post... You can set their wake up time?! Jack is up and ready to go at 6am every morning...

Su, I was going to say - DON'T wake him, enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!!! But after reading Heather's post, it makes sense to take care of it now. I guess I should start looking into this!

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Thu May 28, 2009 10:50 pm

I think it depends on what time you want his "wake-up for the day" time to be. We didn't use Weissbluth, but it sounds (based on my mad google skilz, lol) very similar to what we did use. I knew I'd be staying home with ours, and I didn't want them to set early wake times, so our aim was 9 am and the schedule picked up from there (they still wake at 9). Does that make sense?

It's hard to wake them when they are sleeping, but if you're aiming for a schedule (particularly for when you start back to work), I'd work on getting that morning wake time set. If you want him up and at 'em at, say 7, then I'd wake him at 7 and go from there. Then the rest of his naps would fall into place according to the initial wake time.

I know it seems counterintuitive to wake a sleeping baby, but it worked for us - at least in this situation.

suleaf

OK weissbluth sleep question....

Postby suleaf » Thu May 28, 2009 10:39 pm

I am trying to follow his method.

So far the night training part is going better than the napping...
But here's the pattern (and Sam Jam is 7 weeks old tomorrow):

Sam Jam goes down at 7:40 to 8 pm- we do bath, bottle, bed. 5 oz of formula although lately he's been wanting more.
He is usually awake around 12 am to 1:30 am- and he eats. About 5 oz
Then he is usually up at 4:30 am- and eats another 5 oz, sometimes a little less.
Ok and then this is weird- he sleeps from about 5 am to 10 am.... sometimes even 11.
That is another 5 or 6 hour stretch! Am I supposed to wake him up and keep him up around 5 am to let him nap? Or should I just let him sleep for now and developmentally his sleep will organize?

I don't totally mind that 5 am to 10 or 11 am stretch in the sense that I get to sleep in with him in the morning... usually at that point Q goes to work and he comes into the bed with him or his pack and play.... I think he just likes that. But maybe I should keep him in the crib and see what happens and he wakes up more.... or should I just not worry about it??

ACK. All this sleep stuff and feeding stuff is hard!

Return to “After your baby is born .....”