RTA in toddler from my blood pressure meds?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
mommy1st

Re : RTA in toddler from my blood pressure meds?

Postby mommy1st » Thu Apr 09, 2009 09:55 pm

Oh no Summer!!! I hope you get things squared away....tomorrow is a new day:)

HUGS,

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 02:19 pm

THanx everyone!

I do strangly feel better knowing at least I wasn't on an ACE inhibitor.......I'd rather dh be at fault than me this time honestly LOL.

Daycare has been an ongoing stuggle. The good providers don't want a 1 day/week baby you know, takes up a FT space, and they can only have 2 under age 2............I drove him 1.5 hours to daycare today LOL and have to pick him up, will get home after 8! What a joke!

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:22 am

Summer,
I am so sorry your little man is dealing with this. I think we as moms always worry if we caused it and/or could have prevented it when something happens to our little ones.

I hope the doctors can help him feel better. I am shocked to hear about your most recent day care provider! I have a feeling they were trying to avoid dealing with diarreah - but starving and dehydrating the poor baby obviously won't make him better. I hope you find a care provider you can really trust.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:01 pm

Summer, I've not seen anything suggesting there's a relationship between the bp meds we take in pregnancy and any outcomes in the children, other than smaller birth weight. And if there is a relationship with autoimmune stuff, the psoriasis will be more than sufficient. :-(

If we were in charge of this stuff it would be a whole lot easier to get it right, you know? No one picks this crap to deal with. I hate watching us all blame ourselves, because it's blaming the victim.

jamie w

Postby jamie w » Mon Apr 06, 2009 09:52 pm

Toprol is also a beta blocker. In the case of the ACEs, IIRC the damage they can cause is later on in the pregnancy. As for the diuretics, IIRC they are more of a concern because they can cause fluid problems witht he baby (i.e. oligo) and stuff like that. I am so sorry you are having such a rough time. I hope things start to turn around for you sonn!

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 09:08 pm

aahh so it is a beta blocker? I was thinking ti was an ace, maybe it's my toprol xl that is a combo of an ace and a beta???? I was thnking the labetalol was too but now that I think about it I think you are right.....................

so this may not be my fault? It could be from the auto immune on dh side? Or the diuretics I took before I knew I was prego? Do you think just 8 weeks could cause this? I am really freaking out......................I am glad I didn't read the benzos could have caused it cuz I don't htink I could handle that right now honestly.............

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Mon Apr 06, 2009 09:03 pm

Labetalol is a beta blocker. Lysinopril is one ace inhibitor. I am allergic to both. I don't think you are supposed to have ace inhibitors while pregnant though. I was taking Lysinopril before I found out I was pregnant & had to switch to labetalol because Lysinopril is a category D med. Eventually had to quit BF to get on different BP meds (after trying so many different combos for 11 months) and went back on Lysinopril but had an allergic reaction to it that time.

Sorry I don't know anything about RTA. Sorry you and Kade are having such issues.

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 07:12 pm

I'm okay just gettign ready for my surgery on the 15th...........lost daycare again LOL (she wasn't feeding him or giving him any fluids).........you know the usual. Stil having a crapy year LOL. It's nothing new I"m dealing with, he's been sick since the day he turned 1 so..................he sleeps about 3 hours a night cuz he has such severe gas and gas pains.

jenanderson

Postby jenanderson » Mon Apr 06, 2009 06:57 pm

Aww Summer, you just can't catch a break girl! I'm sorry your dealing with this now too. How are you doing otherwise?

summerw77

RTA in toddler from my blood pressure meds?

Postby summerw77 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 06:49 pm

So Kade has had diareah for months now, first consitipation, now diareah. Well, the bloodwork came back today and they said it is RTA, Renal Tubular Acidosis. I read online this can be from Ace inhibitors and diaretics, I was on a dieretic the first 8 weeks of pregnancy, and on Lebatalol the whole pregnancy, isn't that an ACE inhibitor? I read half are on meds for life for this, I am relaly freaked out. It can also be caused by auto immune stuff, and he has psoriasis adn so does his dad.
Any thoughts? They are doing another test on Friday to confirm.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a baby diagnosed with RTA from all the bp meds we take while pregnant? Or if anyone knows anything about RTA?

Return to “After your baby is born .....”