miscarriage after hellp

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
elainej9

Re : miscarriage after hellp

Postby elainej9 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 05:00 pm

Hi Linda,
I did have a miscarriage after suffering from HELLP. I'm not sure if it was linked but I thought it was.
I hope you find answers and that it works out better for you soon.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Apr 01, 2009 02:16 pm

Linda, they're working on this sort of thing right now. They know that hypertensive pregnancy conditions like preeclampsia and HELLP are related to what they call "failure of maternal tolerance induction", which means that the placenta couldn't hide effectively from your immune system.

There are several research teams looking into this, and they've pegged a relationship between initial implantation of the placenta going awry, and later hypertensive pregnancy. If initial implantation goes wrong it can also result in miscarriage. They think in some cases that this is because the signals being sent from the placenta are ones that the mother's body cannot see -- a basic genetic incompatibility -- and in some cases perhaps there is something else going on. The genetics they've isolated are HLA-C in the trophoblast (the part of the blastocyst that turns into the placenta) with maternal activating KIR. This doesn't seem to explain the majority of PE pregnancies, but it is definitely relevant to some of them.

I know we've had at least one or two other posters with recurrent miscarriage after HELLP who may stop by and post.

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:51 am

I'm sorry for your losses. It sounds like you are facing one of those frustrating mysteries of life. Just like the answers we all wish we had about preeclampsia.

I hope you find peace, if not answers for your situation.

lindamary

Postby lindamary » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:04 am

Hi Linda here, thanks for your replies, my husband and i have both had lots of tests over the years and have been told we are in perfect working order (which i find a bit strange and untrue). I have had heparin injections,asprin,naltrexone (I had to get them posted from the US because they are not available in Ireland) clomid to help with a healthy ovulation, thats all I can think of so maybe they are not related who knows.

carjashaner

Postby carjashaner » Tue Mar 31, 2009 04:51 pm

I cannot relate to your story, but I just wanted to post to tell you I am so sorry to hear of all your loss. I hope that you can find some answers here. There are a lot of brilliant minds here that may be able to help, or at least point you in the right direction. Good luck!!

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Tue Mar 31, 2009 04:20 pm

Hi, Linda. I'm so sorry for your losses. I'm wondering if you've been tested for any underlying disorders? Several of them (including clotting disorders) can be related to miscarriages and can contribute to PE. I haven't personally heard of HELLP causing miscarriages, but I have heard of the underlying problem causing both - if that makes sense. Hopefully, others will be along with more explanation and/or experiences.

Again, I'm so sorry for all you've endured.

lindamary

miscarriage after hellp

Postby lindamary » Tue Mar 31, 2009 02:38 pm

I developed hellp at 32 weeks but with no previous bp problems up to then. My son Darragh was born small 2Ib 14oz but very healthy and had no health issues or problems, it was an emergency c/s, I also made a full recovery after a bit of a struggle, my wound took a long time to heal after getting a sever infection in it which was due to my blood not clotting properly a complication of my condition, since then I have had 7 miscarriages. My husband and I both believe it must be connected to my c/s although the medical profession do not agree. We have been to lots of doctors over 14 years. At this stage I dont want to get pregnant again but I still want answers. Anyone out there with a similar story I would love to hear from you.

Return to “After your baby is born .....”