Hotel sleeping & little ones

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
jmom08

Re : Hotel sleeping & little ones

Postby jmom08 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 01:37 am

A pack n play worked really well for us up until my son was just over 2, and he never had problems sleeping in it. The padding seemed thinner/harder to me than our mattress at home, so I bought padded mattress covers - they make them in P&P size, I think at BabiesRUs. He might have slept OK without it, though. I also brought an extra couple of sheets in case of accidents (& was glad I did a couple of times!).

We've had mostly good experiences with hotel cribs, although I admit to bringing my own mattress pad & sheet! We haven't tried the inflatable mattress, but my son is really a roller, so I am still sicking with rails at this point. =)

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Thu Mar 19, 2009 09:53 pm

Absolutely try out the mattress and/or pack and play beforehand! As babies, our kids couldn't sleep a wink if it was unfamiliar, but a couple naps at home in the P/P before the trip, and they were good to go. FWIW, Ella and Gabrielle are close in age, and we'll be taking the P/P with us in May for a long trip. Have fun!

hols537

Postby hols537 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 07:35 pm

Good luck! Just one warning if you try the matress at home - if she likes it, she may decide she doesn't want a crib anymore. Just something to be prepared for :)

mommiesangel

Postby mommiesangel » Thu Mar 19, 2009 05:55 pm

Thanks for your replies everyone!

Def going to be weighting the options of using their pack and play since they don't have any use for it anymore or we have a inflatable mattress that we used to use when we went on camping trips at the drag races. Its big enough she should be ok and won't fall off. That way I can bring her own sheets and hopefully the smell at home will help her sleep well.

Do you think we should borrow the pack and play and maybe try out the mattress before her trip to get her used to it?

bcrnjo

Postby bcrnjo » Thu Mar 19, 2009 04:56 pm

We have done what a pervious poster suggested, I slept in bed with DS on one trip and another time we booked a King sized bed and all slept together and both ways worked out well.

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Thu Mar 19, 2009 03:40 pm

How fun!! Mine have never slept well in hotels, and end up in bed with one or both of us. Pack n plays are great also. Jaden never did transition to the big crib; he loved his pack n play and slept there until he was well over two, so that is certainly an option.

My best advise is to not expect too much in the sleeping department, and plan some good nap times for both of you! Have fun.

melly

Postby melly » Thu Mar 19, 2009 03:22 pm

Aerobed makes an inflatable toddler air mattress with short inflatable "rails". I bought one from Amazon before dd was born so ds would have somewhere to sleep at his Uncle's while I was in the hospital. He loves it. It has a soft fleecy cover for it too. Have never had good luck yet with ds sleeping well in a hotel. But the last time we tried it he was only 2. He usually ends up in bed with us. Good luck!

hols537

Postby hols537 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:40 am

I wouldn't hesitate to put her in a Pack N Play just based on age/size. Alexander is slightly above average in height and slept in a pack n play over x-mas. We're traveling in a couple of weeks and I still plan to put him in a pack n play even though he sleeps in a toddler bed at home. He's really mischevious and curious and is unlikely to not make trouble if unrestricted. It's a call you need to make based on her personality and your comfort level.

Have a great trip!

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:37 am

Sounds like an exciting time for all 3 of you!

She may not sleep so well by herself in a strange bed, esp. if she's used to a crib. Many hotels provide cribs - or you can bring along a pack-n-play. Or as suggested above - create a small palette for her one the floor.

Another option is to have one parent sleep with her. This will allow her some security, since the hotel is a new environment and the parent will be close to her to keep her on the bed. You can make a pillow barrier on the other side of her, so she is more aware of the edge of the bed.

Or you could request a different room, with King sized bed. We used to do this with just one kiddo. Then the kiddo slept in the middle of the two of us.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:13 am

Sara napped in a pack N play till she was 3. You can also bring one of those side rails. When we went on vacation last August, both of nmy girls ditched the bed and made pallets on the floor.

Return to “After your baby is born .....”