BP post delivery ?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
carjashaner

Re : BP post delivery ?

Postby carjashaner » Sat Mar 21, 2009 02:34 pm

PE can hang around, so be careful and keep an eye on things. If you don't feel like yourself let your doctors know. I suffered from post partum PE, no signs of PE during the pregnancy at all, BP's were all normal until the day I delivered her at 39 weeks. They decided to do the c-section because I was a gestational diabetic, and were afraid she was very large. 2 weeks PP I was in ICU with ridiculous BP readings of 214/128 on mag and a variety of other drugs to try and save my life!!!! My daughter is now almost 10 months and I am now a stage 2 chronic hypertensive with ongoing health issues. I survived my ordeal, and don't want to scare anyone, but we all can read in these forums that it seems with this illness you can take NOTHING for granted. Hang in there!!

melly

Postby melly » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:46 pm

My bp's went down pretty quickly after my son was born. However this past pregnancy they were higher pp than while pregnant. I was put on Procardia XL and a pill to help me shed some of the water gain. I had an allergic reaction to Procardia that made things worse for awhile, but by the time 6 weeks rolled around I was at 135-140/85 with no meds and released from my ob's care. I checked my bp's often and it wasn't until a couple of months ago (8 months pp) that they were 120/78. My pre-preg bp was 120/70.

You may want to get your vision checked out. I had floaters that turned out to be caused by optic nerve detachment. The opthalmalogist said that floaters are normal most of the time, but a sudden increase in the number of floaters can be a sign of damage.

I hope you start feeling better soon. PE can really kick your butt! Just when you think you are done with Pe after delivery, you are still trying to recover months later. The hard part for me was I felt like everyone else expected me to be myself again too. Give yourself time and let your body heal.

halo79rn

Postby halo79rn » Tue Mar 17, 2009 02:25 pm

my b/p was worse for a week post partum... bottom number above 100 for 2 weeks (had headaches and nosebleeds throughout this time) and above 80 for 6wks.

steffieg

Postby steffieg » Sun Mar 15, 2009 07:41 pm

So glad to see this post. I had my daughter last Tues. at 36 weeks... I had mild PE this time. hardly any swelling, but BP was up at 36 week appt. and I had +1 protein in urine so they sent me to L&D for monitoring and anyway, I had the baby that night cause platelets were on the low side of normal. Baby is perfect but it's 5 days PP and my BP is still high (it was at this point with my first pregnancy as well) and I started meds today (toporol XL) and hope it will go down. I took one pill this morning and it's still high, as high as 160/100 sitting with feet up! It scares the **** out of me but I am hoping it will resolve soon. Last pregnancy I had meds and it went down and then back to normal and no more meds after a few weeks. I am experiencing the occasional white noise vision stuff, but no headaches.

theartsymom

Postby theartsymom » Sun Mar 15, 2009 03:22 pm

the swelling is starting to subside, the shivers at night and many trips to the bathroom-
I feel better already.

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Sun Mar 15, 2009 09:50 am

My bp dropped-literally-during delivery, and has stayed down. So, everyone is different. My swelling, though-Uhg. About two week or so after delivery I had a couple days of constant peeing and dropped about 30lbs of fluid. I felt so much better after that!

debbie78

Postby debbie78 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:00 pm

At two weeks pp for me, my providers decided to put me on BP meds. I don't think they waited long enough, IMO-- because like Caryn has already said, from what I have been reading this time around, it can take up to 6 weeks for bp to return to normal.

I hope you are feeling much, much better and more like yourself with each passing day. <3

theartsymom

Postby theartsymom » Sat Mar 14, 2009 09:22 pm

Thanks! I have had more pre-e symptoms post partum than ante. But I was on hospital bedrest for 2 1/2 weeks before delivery. Now I am home and up moving around. The headache is come and go- the spots come when I have over done things. The swelling is totally irritating!
It is getting better by the day.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Sat Mar 14, 2009 06:39 pm

Mine are back to normal now. I am still on double the ziac. I think I can drop the dose in a couple of months.

wrennie

Postby wrennie » Sat Mar 14, 2009 04:24 pm

mine took abt 3 weeks, seemed like forever tho!

Return to “After your baby is born .....”