How do you get them out of YOUR BED?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
summerw77

Re : How do you get them out of YOUR BED?

Postby summerw77 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:04 am

Hi! Sorry I haven't had access to the computer! I don't know if you guys have seen on the news but Ft. Carson is on fire and it's 1 mile north of my house LOL so we have been sleeping on the sofa at my mom's house.......with 8 dogs in the garage OH FUN! Anyways thanx for all the suggestions, I'm goign to get that book! The problem is I'm so exhausted and I don't sleep well w/him, because I am such a horrible sleeper> I kick, I use like 5 pillows cuz of my back and am afraid I'm going to suffocate him. He HAS to get out of my bed......
This sounds like it's going to be an uphill battle huh? SHOOT!

surefoott

Postby surefoott » Thu Mar 05, 2009 08:58 am

This post brought back the memories because I had one, my youngest, who didn't get out of my bed until she was about 6 or so. My fault; I was a single mom at that time and it didn't really matter to me that she was there, so I didn't force the issue. When she was ready, though, it just happened. Looking back now it wasn't such a bad thing; although I know some people frown on the 'co-sleeping' thing. When I had babies, it was just much easier for me to have them in bed with me to roll over and nurse several times a night. My daughter has some kind of form pillow thing that their baby can sleep on in between them, but it's funny; I never worried about rolling over on them and women have been sleeping with their babies since the beginning of time without any problem!!

brooklynsmom

Postby brooklynsmom » Tue Mar 03, 2009 09:38 am

OOOOhhhhhh....RSV did it for us last year, too! Our youngest was hospitalized for 5 days, and we pretty much held her EVERY second. I felt so bad for her, she was on oxygen, and she didn't know where she was, strange people, etc. etc. Once we were home, it was horrible....I was on the kick that "if she was sleeping, so was I, so I didn't care where!" We decided to break that habit about 2 months ago when she was 15 months...it has been a long road, and it isn't all the way traveled, yet. I totally tried soothing her in her own room, didn't work...after trying a few things, and being exhausted, I decided to just let her cry it out (which is HORRIBLE, but what WE HAD to do-depends on the kid, for sure!). She has been doing much better, but last night she woke up 2 times and cried for about 5 minutes each...not too bad, she used to cry for 45 min. to an hour, with me outside the door with tears streaming down my face. I am just. so. tired. I HAVE to do it...I'll be looking back for more suggestions!

mikeys mom

Postby mikeys mom » Tue Mar 03, 2009 08:18 am

IF anybody has the secret answer let me know... My 6 year old grew out of it. However, everyonce in a while I find him there.. My 3 year old... Well he doesn't even bother to fake going to bed in his anymore...

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Tue Mar 03, 2009 07:50 am

Summer, I slept last night with DH hogging most of the bed, Jaden laying sideways on top of my head and AJ clinging to my arm cuz he kept falling off the other side. It's no wonder I am always tired. They start in their own room, but at least a few times a week, one will wake up screaming, which wakes the other, and they both end up with us. My daughters weren't much better, but quit by early elementary school......I'm no help at all, but will be reading your post for advice for myself!!!! I guess it just wasn't one of those battles I felt compelled to fight. Last night was miserable, but sometimes I love to wake up to one of them snuggled on each side of me:)

karoliina

Postby karoliina » Tue Mar 03, 2009 01:33 am

We moved our daughter (will be 2 years 3 months soon) in a "big girl's bed" (= out of crib) maybe 6 months ago. It was only recently that she started to come to our room and bed occasionally, but it was so rarely I didn't worry.

Then little by little the habit has slipped to become a routine for every night... SHe usually climbs to sleep with us around 3 am, sometimes only around 5.30 am. We don't mind terribly much, even though it would be nicer if she just stayed in her own room. The only thing that worries me is that soon we'll have a baby that I will probably breasfeed in our bed a couple of times at night. I'm worried Stella will wake up to that, and then the nights will be awful for everybody...

I'm at 33 weeks now and just don't have the energy to try and get rid of her habit before the birth of the baby. :( Maybe I have to move to the guestroom with the baby for a little while. At least Stella wanted breast at night only for a couple of months.

Sorry, no advice, only rant! :D

Karoliina

onesock

Postby onesock » Tue Mar 03, 2009 01:18 am

No help here...mine always slept with us. They grow out of it, however at 7 and 9 they still crawl in bed with us in the middle of the night sometimes. So, no advice, we just rolled with it and got a bigger bed...if they were sleeping so were we :) Good luck

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Tue Mar 03, 2009 01:17 am

The book The No Cry Sleep Solution - For Toddlers and Preschoolers has a lot of great ideas in it dealing with situations just like yours.

laura

Postby laura » Tue Mar 03, 2009 00:21 am

It is hard after they've come to expect to sleep in parents' room, so our first step is to give them a blanket and pillow and tell them they can sleep in our room but it has to be on the floor. Then after a while, we'll move them back into their own.

Depends on the kid, though!

celticepona

Postby celticepona » Mon Mar 02, 2009 09:01 pm

uhhhh...we had that problem with Em. The only suggestion I have is to set up a routine and stick with it. If Em woke up I'd let her sit with us in our bed but then take her back to her bed in her room. Do you have a rocker or chair next to his bed? I have had to sit next to Em's bed and rub her back to soothe her to sleep. Or rock her for a while. I think the idea is to try to soothe him in his room so he begins to associate calmness with his own area and won't feel the need as much to come into your bed. For Em it was a few weeks, and she still relapses..just establish a routine, bedtime, and procedure for whenever he climbs into your bed, and try to stick to it. :)

Return to “After your baby is born .....”