Nipple Biting

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
melly

Re : Nipple Biting

Postby melly » Mon Mar 02, 2009 09:54 am

I do think Caroline is teething. Her gums are looking swollen and she's chewing on everything. Yesterday I was sitting with my son in my lap and Caroline came up behind me and bit me! I am hoping she was just trying to chew on my shirt. I try very hard not to over react when she bites my nipple, but its sooo hard not to. My son did the same thing when he was nursing, but it seemed to only take a few times of being put on the floor for him to get the idea. I wish there was a warning sign that Caroline is about to bite. She goes straight from nursing to biting. It doesn't seem like she pauses or slows down and believe me I've been looking for a sign! I'm going to tough it out awhile longer and pray she stops soon. Thanks for the sympathy and suggestions!

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Thu Feb 26, 2009 07:17 pm

I have very mellow babies apparently- mommy screaming was funny & interesting.

Saying no biting and putting them on the floor and ignoring them for a minute is what worked best for me. It took a week for my daughter to stop biting, and if it had gone on for one more day she might have weaned early...

Is Caroline teething? You could try to preempt her by giving her a teething toy to chomp on when she slows down nursing. Hope this helps!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:56 am

I never was able to pull off the stern thing. Instead I screamed, involuntarily, and unlatched the baby yelling **&^ *&&^ OUCH (*&^$#!!

Seemed to work tho.

mommy1st

Postby mommy1st » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:46 am

My sister had this happen a couple times with her daughter and she nursed until she was 13 months old. My sister would just sternly tell her no that it hurts her and that seemed to stop. HOpe it gets better for you!!

mkvh

Postby mkvh » Wed Feb 25, 2009 09:23 pm

Ending the nursing session (which it seems you are doing) can work. You also could gently push her face IN toward your breast; then she will unclamp. I would couple either with a stern, "No biting. That hurts mommy." Just stern and flat--if you get excited she might think it's fun.

Or, you could preemptively end the session by unlatching her as soon as you notice her sucking stop. This doesn't give her the opportunity to get bored and bite.

melly

Nipple Biting

Postby melly » Wed Feb 25, 2009 08:32 pm

Caroline has started chomping on my nipple when she's finished nursing. I put her on the floor as soon as she bites me. It really hurts to the point that if she continues this much longer I'm going to have to give up nursing. I'm nervous every time I try to nurse. I want to nurse her at least until she's one. She'll be one in a couple months. I really hope we can work through this because I enjoy nursing and I'm not ready to give it up just yet.

Return to “After your baby is born .....”