How are you SAHMs doing?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
mommy1st

Re : How are you SAHMs doing?

Postby mommy1st » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:03 am

I'm planning on making it for St. Patricks day, it's a tradition I started just last year! I make it in the crock pot as well and it's sooooo good!!!

melly

Postby melly » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:44 am

Oh I'm so glad you reminded me about the corn beef! My FIL and his wife made this for us last month. They poured a couple of beers into the crockpot with the corn beef and cooked it on low for about 8 hours. It was so good. I've never made one myself. St Patty's Day will be here soon!

shelbys mom

Postby shelbys mom » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:40 am

yes I do corned beef in the crock pot all the time my DH loves it, I throw it in add carrots and potatoes, fill with enough water to cover meat, set onlow for 8-9 hours, about an hour before it is due to be done, you can tell by touching with a fork, if it falls apart it is pretty much done!! so an hour before it is done I add the cabbage. I also set my oven to 350 degrees put my meat in a baking dish, mix together syrup horseradish, and mustard for a glaze, pour it over the meat and bake it for about 15 minutes. It is yummy!!!!! any questions email me!!!

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:08 am

Yes and I used onion soup in the package (the lipton I think) w/water in it. Are you doing it with cabbage or with onions and carrots??

mommiesangel

Postby mommiesangel » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:05 am

Has anyone cooked corn beef in a crock pot before?

hols537

Postby hols537 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 04:05 pm

Thanks! I'm going to pick up ingredients tomorrow and try some of these over the next week.

melly

Postby melly » Wed Feb 18, 2009 01:56 pm

Holly...here are a few crockpot recipes for you...

This first recipe is from my MIL...

FRENCH COUNTRY SUPPER (Crock Pot)

Prep time 15 minutes. 4 servings. Cooking time 5 hrs. on high, 8 hrs. on low.

1 to 1-1/2 lbs. bone-in skinless chicken thighs
2 tsps dried basil or herbs de Provence
1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper
1 sm chopped onion
1 (15- to 19- oz) cans cannellini or other white beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14-1/2 oz) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano

Place chicken in a 4-qt. or larger slow cooker; sprinkle with basil or herbs de Provence, salt and pepper. Add onion, beans and tomatoes. Cover and cook on high 5 hrs or low 8 hrs or until chicken is no longer pink.
*********************************************************************************************************

http://www.recipezaar.com/Whole-Chicken ... cipe-33671
I usually buy a chicken with a pop-up timer so I don't over or under cook it. I also put the rub on under the skin as well. I serve it as is for a couple dinners and still have enough for chicken salad or soup.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Slow-cooked-B ... -pot-16705
I use this recipe as a guideline, but I first sprinkle a bbq rub on the ribs. An hour before they are done, I drain the fat and pour a bottle of bbq sauce over them. They really do fall off the bone!

Recipezaar has some other really great sounding recipes that I haven't tried yet. I just got a new crockpot to replace my hand-me-down 70's pot. I'm lovin it!

Amanda...love the ideas on how to organize your coupons! I have piles of them. I have an organizer, but they don't all fit in it. I'm working on my own stockpile. Its so much better to buy a lot on sale than to buy something full price because you need it. It really bothers me now to pay full price for something.

panguitch02

Postby panguitch02 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:14 am

I am not a SAHM, but I have a few suggestions:
1) A good friend on mine does The Grocery Game. He saves soooo much money and gets tons of free stuff. The free stuff drives his wife crazy b/c it takes up too much room.
2) I am starting a meals exchange group with a few of my working girlfriends. We cook the same meal in bulk and divide for each family. It will save time and money, since we will be buying in bulk. A price limit per serving can be established for extra savings.
3) I read this online: Freeze leftover veggies in a Tupperware for soup at a later date. Just throw the leftover items into your "Soup" container for later use. The container should be labeled with the date the first items were added, and all contents should be used within 3 months. Many people don't eat leftovers, but if they are added to soup...who would know the difference. We love leftovers, but we often have a small amount of veggie leftovers at dinner that wouldn't make a satisfying 2nd meal, so this will work perfect for us.

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:02 am

I've been a coupon clipper forever. As far as groceries one thing that I do is buy a gift card at the beginning of the month for our budget and then, when it's gone it's gone. It really keeps you thinking about what you spend - LOL.

I also stockpile and have been for a while so we are set on essentials that are outside of meat/bread/fresh veggies and milk for quite a while. I highly recommend stockpiling if you can!

Tip: Always buy more than 1 paper on Sunday - preferably 4. I only cut out one set of coupons and then file the rest of the inserts away, by date. I use a blog to make my shopping list and they will tell me what coupons match with what sale and what insert the coupon is in and voila - my list is made. I also only buy meat when it's on sale and freeze it. With chicken I only buy split breasts and then debone them myself. Finally, creating a meal plan every week (I have 6 that I rotate) really helps too - a little boring but...

I hope this helps!

mommiesangel

Postby mommiesangel » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:56 am

I have joined the bandwagon of putting things on craigslist too. So far all of Gabrielle's clothes have been sold. Except for her spring jackets, winter jacket (which still has tags on it). I am still keeping them up there in hopes this weather will break and people will be more inclined to buy them. Plus I still have tons of toys she no longer plays with that no one is buying. My next move will be to take it to a consiment shop. There is one way out that will pay money up front instead of having everything on consiment.

Other than that just clipping coupons like you ladies, and trying to find a SAH job that I can still watch Gabrielle but wrk to help out DH.

Return to “After your baby is born .....”