Migraines

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
wrennie

Re : Migraines

Postby wrennie » Tue Mar 03, 2009 05:54 pm

good to know.....i havent had a headache for about 2 weeks. I am thankful for that!

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:20 am

I took Kirsten to the neurologist yesterday. He was asking me about a family history of migraines and I mentioned I had had them since delivery. He also asked about the pe. He said that it would take several months for the migraines to go away. He said it was a combination of hormones, transitioning from pe, and reducing the inflammation that was there.

celticepona

Postby celticepona » Mon Mar 02, 2009 09:15 pm

I have been plagued by migranes too that have gotten worse since Isabelle was born. I cant go on IMITREX due to the bp meds I am on. MY doc put me on topamax, which worked okay but put me into a stupor, so I was taken off...so far still no successful treatment...very frustrating and uncomfortable...

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:05 pm

Carin, I'm glad you are feeling better. Hopefully this is the start of a new headache free trend *fingers crossed*

I wanted to add, make sure to check with your doc or pediatrician before trying any headache/migraine meds if you are breastfeeding. Excedrin migraine, though it is an OTC med, isn't always recommended for nursing moms due to the aspirin content.

wrennie

Postby wrennie » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:49 pm

thanks everyone, i havent had my head ache since thursday. So, maybe, OH JUST MAYBE, they have passed! well, ill keep my fingers crossed!

jen44

Postby jen44 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 06:45 pm

I am also a mifraine sufferer and I take Excedrine Migraine which has a combo of aspirin, acetominophen and caffeine. It works wonders for me.

mom29

Postby mom29 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 05:23 pm

I take midrin (prescription) but I also started taking a powdered magnesium supplement (Natural Calm) when my OB refused to prescribe any meds. for migraines during pregnancy and that has helped quite a bit.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Wed Feb 11, 2009 09:58 am

I also find caffeine helpful with migraines. However caffeine is a migraine trigger for some people, and caffeine withdrawal can also be a trigger for others. So individual experiences may vary.

hols537

Postby hols537 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 06:35 am

I've been getting migraines very frequently since Jonathan was born too (an my BP gets high during them - like 145/100 last time). I echo everything said by alviarin about the meds. One other tip is (if the baby is OK with it) to have a cup of coffee when you take the tylenol or ibuprofen. I try to avoid the narcotics when possible for many reasons, but when it gets really bad and I really need to sleep or get some relief, I do take them (right after a feeding so it has time to work out of my system before he eats again or will have DH offer a bottle).

I hope you get some relief. I know it's miserable!

karoliina

Postby karoliina » Wed Feb 11, 2009 04:27 am

We have different meds here, so I can't give any advice on that, other than that for my migraines only the prescriptive meds designed specifically for migraines help. Not your regular pain killers.

I had migraines before pregnancy, but when I was breasfeeding, they were triggered more easily and by different things. After breastfeeding period I started to get hormonal migraines every month when I gt my period. It wasn't that regular earlier. So I think pregnancy and hormones definitely change your system also in this respect.

Karoliina

Return to “After your baby is born .....”