Am I starting a bad habit?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
jen44

Re : Am I starting a bad habit?

Postby jen44 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 00:45 am

the thing is, i think every child is different so its really tough to predict how yours will respond...

as you know Holly, i'm in the same predicament but a few months ahead of you -- right now, Spencer is in the swing half the night because of his reflux and then in bed with me the rest of the night (he gets unsettled in the swing around 2am). We do crib naps during the day which work out fine but he WILL NOT settle in the crib at night for more than 20 minutes or so. He'll fall asleep in the crib and then wake up every 15-20 minutes after that crying. We've abandoned trying to get him in the crib at night right now since he's sick with a terrible cold (as am i, yuck) but we've moved his crib into our bedroom hoping that since he's used to our room, he'll get comfortable in his crib in here at night and then we'll transition him back into his room. i can't even believe the trouble this little guy has given us when it comes to sleep, our other son Luka is a dream sleeper and always has been and transitioned so easily into his crib. every child is so different! i never really knew what that meant until now. my husband desperately wants to come back to our bed and four months of sleeping apart (we can't cosleep together with Spencer, i'm too nervous of that) but we'll do anything to get sleep at this point so we do what works! good luck, i hope Alexa cooperates when the time comes!! maybe girls are easier? ;)

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:26 pm

Holly,
We did what you did...Cosleeper at night, bassinet during the day. Eventually we got to bassinet at night and crib during the day, then crib for both. It worked well for us. We switched her to her crib completely well before her firt bday and I don't think she knew the difference.

mommy1st

Postby mommy1st » Tue Feb 10, 2009 09:54 pm

Thanks ladies I appreciate all of your thoughts and advice! We are sticking to putting her in bed with us and in her crib during the day. She sleeps fine in her crib during the day so I am thinking the transition when we do it will be fine!
Yes, I will do anything to get a good couple of straight hours of sleep, ANYTHING!!

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Tue Feb 10, 2009 05:32 pm

Mine all slept with us for the first couple months and had no trouble transitioning to their own beds. But my thought is you gotta do what you can to get some sleep NOW and deal with the consequences later!!! (this advice from a mom whose 13 month old still sleeps in her infant carseat every night because she got used to it for the first 9 months with reflux & has been congested with one thing and another since). Don't know when we'll break that habit!!

But she is in her own bed, in her room (just in her carseat!! UGH!)

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Tue Feb 10, 2009 05:05 pm

Holly- First, I feel your pain. I do not do well with sleep deprivation, and my kids are lousy sleepers. We, well, I have made the choice that whatever gives me the longest stretch of uninterrupted sleep is the right answer for me. DH isn't quite on board, but he would sleep through the screaming and crying, so in my world, he doesn't get an equal say in the matter. I have found that once I let them sleep with us, it was pretty difficult to transition them back to their own beds. Then again, it wasn't one of those battles I chose to fight very hard, either. Wishing you lots of luck, and sleep!!

aundapenner

Postby aundapenner » Tue Feb 10, 2009 03:35 am

Holly - I'll try to send you a private message ... because I think I scared you on FB! But seriously, just follow your mommy instincts - which sometimes can be lead by sleep deprivation.

Hang in there ... I'll try to send you a message today (am still using DHs work computer so my time is "limited").

julieb

Postby julieb » Mon Feb 09, 2009 08:43 pm

Mason was in his bassinet in our room until he was 5 months old (2 months adj. though) and had no trouble transitioning into his crib. When he was really little and really fussy sometimes I would put him in bed with us, especially if it was after his 5 am feeding just so we could get a couple more hours of sleep in! He has always been a pretty good sleeper but I think if you get her used to her crib at a young enough age you probably won't have much trouble once she is sleeping better.

hols537

Postby hols537 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 08:08 pm

I think if you have the baby in your bed or not is totally a personal preference, but if the goal is to have her in her own bed sooner rather than later, you'll probably want to think about moving her. Jonathan was back and forth between the bassinet and crib at night until he was almost 4 months (basically when he got over the weight limit for the bassinet). The trick for me to get Jonathan sleeping well in his crib was putting him to bed earlier (5 or 5:30 most nights). It sounds crazy, but when he went to bed at 6 the other night, he got up every 2 hours. I think until like 4 months it's still easier to make the transition. If I were you, I'd do what I needed to get some rest for the next few months and then worry about it. Even if you have a few rough nights a couple of months down the road, at least you'll get some rest and give her the comfort she needs right now. My 2 cents. (But, I have 2 really awesome sleepers, so I might not be the best one to give advice.)

mommy1st

Am I starting a bad habit?

Postby mommy1st » Mon Feb 09, 2009 07:50 pm

Okay so we have been having some rough night with Alexa the past month or so but it has gotten better, thank God! We had her in the bassinet to begin with and she just HATED it so we bought this cosleeper thingy. It is for the middle of the bed so it goes between me and my dh and it defines her space. Well we have a queen size bed and are backs were killing us so we let her sleep in it in our bed for about 3 mights and moved her in it in her crib. Ever since we have done that she is TOUGH to get to sleep and stay asleep!! So last night we had it and I put her in the bed between us, is this bad? Is it bad that we had her in the crib and now she is back in the bed? I just need some good couple hours of straight sleep and this seems to do it. I know this phase of her fussiness with her reflux will pass so I was thinking when it does subside to put her in the crb. Do you think she'll go back in the crib by then which will probaly be in about 2-4 months? I am thinking it will be easy just because she's still a baby not over the age of one or am I wrong?
Any advice, input would be great!
Thanks!

Return to “After your baby is born .....”