Sensory Integration Disorder

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
kara
Forum Moderator

Re : Sensory Integration Disorder

Postby kara » Sat Jul 26, 638600 9:45 am

Yes, DD had horrid sleep issues, from not being able to soothe herself to sleep (read: rocking, banging head, pulling out hair, rubbing - needing rocking, silky blanket, nuk, etc). Then we went through night wakings 7+ a night, not sleeping well when she did sleep. She just started sleeping through the night around her 3rd birthday. For her it stems from her brain not processing "input" that she is getting throughout the day, OR, processing an entire days worth of input right at bedtime making her overwhelmed. Fun stuff. And OT helped. The OT evaluation will give you a good idea. Just be very thorough in your answers to the questions.

dja

Postby dja » Sat Jul 26, 638600 7:30 am

Thanks - we did get the referral for OT, and it looks like our insurance will cover at least some of it. An evaluation will at least tell us whether this is an issue or not. I'm curious that you mention sleeping problems, because Malcolm didn't sleep through the night for 2+ years and still has trouble with sleep - not exactly night waking, but more like a situation where he isn't resting fully when he sleeps. Anyway, thanks for the input and I'll keep you posted. [oh, and I'd forgotten about the search feature = totally cool - I read the old posts on this!]

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Fri Jul 25, 638600 8:11 pm

Sensory integration disorder can present in so many different ways. I think I'd get him evaluated by an Occupational Therapist first, before approaching any other methods or therapies. Or at least talk to your pedi about whether to continue the play therapy until you get the OT evaluation.

DD is a SID kid and it comes and goes in waves for us. She had sleeping problems, emotional problems, and physical problems that all stemmed from SID. A little OT therapy made a huge difference.

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Fri Jul 25, 638600 2:47 am

Hi Danae -
I know there are several posters who have posted about this same issues. Kara is one and I'm sure she will be around shortly - I believe that Jenn is another. In the meantime you can also search on sensory and see some of the past posts.

My middle child was SID as well but not due to PE - she did the play-therapy - one of the things they had her do was to put her hands in a sandbox and find toys - same thing but with rice. I know that she kept her paci FOREVER because of it (it was a soother beyond just 'normal' soothing) and she has never worn a shirt with a tag in it, socks that don't have toe lines (hard to find too), and turtlenecks.

I hope someone comes around soon!

dja

Sensory Integration Disorder

Postby dja » Mon Jul 14, 638600 10:42 pm

Hi ladies, I haven't posted in a while, but I know have a question and I thought I'd throw it out to a group I trust. Malcolm has been a challenging kid since birth. After seeing some improvements as he hit 3 (and me thinking we were done with terrible 2s), I have seen an interesting pattern with him of very negative behavior toward me that seems much worse whenever my DH must be out of town. Our ped suggested some play-therapy counseling. After having intake appts with 2 different counselors, both suspect at least some of Malcolm's behavior problems may be related to sensory integration problems. I am just embarking on getting a handle on this, but the suggestion we are working with today is to get that evaluated, and then know and address it rather than just approaching the more parenting/play therapy thing without knowing if this is an issue. Ideas or input anyone who's been through this?

Return to “After your baby is born .....”