Infant Constipation

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
hols537

Re : Infant Constipation

Postby hols537 » Tue Feb 25, 638600 1:08 am

I can't really remember when we started the sippy with Alexander. I think it was around when he started having solids. I used a Gerber sippy without the valve to give Jonathan the juice. I'm hoping things get more regular now. Unfortunately, he's still having trouble sleeping...but that could be outgrowing his reflux meds dose again. I'm pretty sure he just had another growth spurt.

melly

Postby melly » Tue Feb 25, 638600 12:44 am

Yay! I'm glad you found something that worked. On the subject of sippies...my pedi recommended starting the sippy cup at dd's 6 month visit. I like the small Nuby cup with handles. I put ice water in it to help with dd's teething pain. My pedi also recommended water to get things moving down there. She drools a lot of it out, but she loves having her own cup. Also the small Gerber cups with handles are really great. Also not quite as messy as the Nuby.

hols537

Postby hols537 » Sun Feb 02, 638600 12:20 am

Well, I think the juice was a success. He went twice today. And, all I can say about the second one is "WOW". He went straight to the tub on that one (after I used about half a box of wipes trying to find the diaper...)

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Feb 01, 638600 9:05 pm

I've heard two things from nurses: tablespoon of blackstrap molasses (ETA: over the course of a day, so I guess like a teaspoon at a couple of different feedings) (bonus for iron!) and rubbing around the anus with a Q-tip dipped in Vaseline.

Do not ask me why that last one works. I don't want to know.

jacobkaden

Postby jacobkaden » Sat Feb 01, 638600 6:45 pm

Fresh stewed prunes works wonders!

hols537

Postby hols537 » Sat Feb 01, 638600 10:38 am

I haven't read the Dr. Sears book. I'll have to search that online and give it a try. I hate to resort to the suppository again.

aggie95mom

Postby aggie95mom » Sat Feb 01, 638600 10:28 am

A little late to the discussion, but have you tried the 'I love you' massage in the Dr. Sears baby book? My oldest son Jacob had the worst constipation no matter what I eliminated from my diet (was on BM only) and with the massage and using the stimulation from taking his temperature rectally, we could usually relieve it in a day or so. I know, watching your little one be uncomfortable is the worst.

jamie w

Postby jamie w » Wed Jan 22, 638600 3:10 am

Our Dr. recommended and I concur that for some reason pear juice works best. Apple never really did the trick but Gerber pear juice always works. Good luck, I know it is so hard on mom and baby!!

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Tue Jan 21, 638600 3:15 pm

If the baby is exclusively breast fed I would try elimintaing things out of your diet, like go all the way down to a diary-free diet wiht limited items. My friend did it for gas and it worked miracles. I don't know enough about the diets to know what to eliminate but I know it was a VERY strict diet, and then you add one item back eery few days...........
Also, the suppositories aren't bad for them. I am using them on my 1 year old right now, I Know how hard it is to watch them suffer! Mine hasn't slept in 2 months since we introduced dairy and it's been AWFUL! The soft spout sippys' are great, my guy refused a sippy cup unitl I offered him the Born Free, he LOVES it!

hols537

Postby hols537 » Tue Jan 21, 638600 7:54 am

I made him take an ounce of the apple juice (at least what he didn't spit) using a syringe. That was tedious. I'm trying a soft spout sippy (it said 4-9 months on the package) for the next ounce. He didn't seem to mind the taste, I think it's mostly the bottle issue. I hope it works. We used the suppositories as a last resort, but were told by the doctors office that 6-7 days is the most they let breastfed babies go. Hope it doesn't come to that again! He sees the pedi next week. I'll check on the karo syrup too...

Thanks. I'm so sad for the guy!

Return to “After your baby is born .....”