a new personal record ...

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
mnmom
Forum Moderator

Re : a new personal record ...

Postby mnmom » Thu Feb 14, 638318 9:27 pm

Congratulations! What a wonderful birth story.

sonja
Forum Moderator

Re : a new personal record ...

Postby sonja » Thu Feb 14, 638318 8:29 pm

I love a good birth story!!

I too had a little one back in for jaundice at around day 5 - the thing about the pin sticks at that age is that they don't remember it!

I am glad that you are all home now and that everything is going well.

Take care and enjoy your new little one.

timelessbeauty

a new personal record ...

Postby timelessbeauty » Thu Feb 14, 638318 6:50 pm

OK, Matthias James entered the world on 11/24/08 at 1:17pm with the aid of vacuum extraction and an epidural that helped numb everything but a very painful hot spot. He is my longest pregnancy at 39 weeks exactly, my biggest kidlet at 7 lbs 6 ozs, and 20.5" long. Once labor took off with induction, it was less than 2 hours before he was born. It was my most painful labor though as to how fast and furious. The funny part of it was my doctor was cracking jokes to help with the pain and wondered why the end of the bed was sinking where he was sitting. What he didn't realize and neither did I was that as I lay there with an emesis basin clutched in my arms, my elbow was on the lower bed button for where he was sitting. LOL

Our story doesn't end there as I was able to start nursing well and established a few supplemental feedings hoping to edge off jaundice this time around as all of my kids have suffered that in the past. Well, boys will be boys and 6 days out from birth, we were back in the hospital with numbers in the 20s for billirubin/jaundice. We spent two more days back in the children's hospital under the lights and nursing around the clock to get my milk production up. We are home now and doing better after a week on the billiblanket. Go figure my boys were my longest pregnancies, my healthiest pregnancies and both my boys were sent back to the hospital with billi counts higher than they would like after a short period of time. My girls had jaundice but their levels never went above 13.

Matt was poked in the scalp, both hands and 5 times between both feet to do the level checks. I felt so bad for him that his body must be hurting from all those sticks. His left hand is still bruised, they had blood all over from trying to get it from his left foot and then the next nurse double stuck his other foot the next morning (unnecessarily in my mind) and then couldn't get the bleeding to stop. The doctor took over compression on his foot and then when I removed the gauze and bandaid later that night the bleeding started all over again. :(

I'm just so glad to have him earthside! The longer the pregnancy went, the more I worried about the evil shoe of PE dropping which came close. As my BP went up during the last week, my protein went from 1+ on the dip strips to negative and I only showed swelling when they introduced procardia to help my BP come down and that stayed around my midcalf to ankle level. So I never exactly developed PE persay but I came close, but wow .. I made it to 39 weeks. My jaw is still hanging open on that fact.

I am so thankful to nursing taking off the first 20 lbs of weight after birth. Now I need to work on diet and exercise when I am released to get the rest off.

Now if I could just get rid of this pregnancy congestion and cold I picked up from the wonderful ins and outs of cold weather and trips back and forth between hospitals and doctor offices.

That is the update from this family. Love to everyone!

Return to “After your baby is born .....”