copper vs hormone?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
halo79rn

Re : copper vs hormone?

Postby halo79rn » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:25 am

thanks... I think I'll go with the paraguard. My ob/gyn warned me about heavier periods and cramping with periods for the first couple of months... he said some get it, but it's usually back to normal within 3 months. We'll see??? I guess we'll do it next month.

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:23 am

My doctor recomended the Mirena. It's been great. No periods etc...

She was not too concerned about the hormones in it, and felt it a much better choice for me over the pill.

I had heard the the copper one can make periods heavier and mroe painful. I don't knwo it if does from experience though. Maybe others can chime in on this.

I don't know why your doc would not be encouraging of you seeing a therapist. I hope youar e able to fidn soemone to talk wiht that can help you find a way to feel better.

theartsymom

Postby theartsymom » Thu Sep 11, 2008 09:13 am

I had a mirena after DD (for about 3 years)- I had some side effects that I did not really "notice" until it was taken out- for those reasons alone I do not really want another one after baby #2.
I am leaning towards the paraguard- but not sure.

amiejo

Postby amiejo » Thu Sep 11, 2008 08:49 am

I haven't had either choice due to the decision for the tubal, so I can't be of much help. Before I had my tubal with my last pregnancy, I was discussing this with my OB. They were very cautious and did not recommend anything hormonal due to my blood pressures during pregnancy. My history was very low bp but they considered me high risk for hypertension and heart disease due to the pe and that made them want to avoid all hormonal birth control options. I hope you find some more info on each of them so that you are comfortable with your decision.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:37 pm

The thing about the Mirena is that if they have reason to think you're a chronic hypertensive, they may not want to scrip you anything hormonal.

My internists won't give me the Mirena, or the Nuvaring, or anything else with progesterone or estrogen in it. Which narrows my choices to barrier contraception, sterilization, and the Copper-T. :-)

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:35 pm

I asked about both at my pp check-up, and my peri (actually two and the NP) recommended the Mirena. IIRC the mirena thins the uterine lining, blocks sperm, and can prevent eggs from releasing (and they're not sure which of these or what combination of these actually prevents pregnancy -- I think).

I was actually leaning toward the Paraguard since I knew Jenndola had that one and Caryn (at one point) had mentioned it, but the docs convinced me to go with the mirena. It doesn't last as long as the copper, but you are more likely to bleed with the copper as well. I like mine if that matters at all!

halo79rn

copper vs hormone?

Postby halo79rn » Wed Sep 10, 2008 09:45 pm

Okay, went to a gyn today. asking about contraception... that office really seems to be pushing the copper IUD. I'm just a tad bit hesitant. I thought the hormonal IUC *might* prevent ovulation... but the copper / non hormonal ones just block the sperm or the fertilized egg from attaching... why am I having a hard time deciding? My b/p was fine but I expressed concern b/c my diastolic has been between 60 and 80s since my daughter's birth (used to stay in the 60s prior)... He didn't seem concerned but suggested the copper iuc b/c of the b/p. But the nurse was pushing it before I mentioned anything about my history which makes me wonder if it's just that they get perks for selling this one. ??? Anywhoo... any one with either of these?

I also asked for a referral to a therapist... told him what I was experiencing since our move and since my period returned. He gave me a script for serafem for the two weeks prior to my period. I agreed to try it and asked again for recs for therapists. He seemed surprised, but got me their social worker's number so I could speak with her about finding a therapist... said, "well, it cannot hurt." Way to be supportive. ;)

Return to “After your baby is born .....”