The whinning....

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
aundapenner

Re : The whinning....

Postby aundapenner » Thu Feb 21, 2008 04:15 pm

To follow along with what Cindy said, I have to confess to whining and now "adult" temper tantrums.

I was always a temper tantrum girl. I'm talking major kicking and crying and throwing things for a loooong time (10+ years of age). I think of it as good experience for my nieces who tend to do the same and I'm the only person that can get them out of it (or at least I like to think so!).

cindyh27

Postby cindyh27 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:41 am

Kara... my girls still whine! And the oldes is going to be 20 in May ((hugs))

mayasmom

Postby mayasmom » Thu Feb 21, 2008 09:55 am

When my oldest was 2 she whined about everything. I tried something I read in a magazine, it was kind of silly but it worked. Everytime she whined, I would say, "oh you have the whinies again, let's stomp those whinies." Then I would stomp imaginary whinies. At first she looked at me like I had lost my mind, then she started helping me stomp those whinies and we would have so much fun chasing whinies all over the house and laughing that she would forget what she was whining about. Then I would ask her what it was she wanted and she would tell me in her big girl voice. After awhile the whinies went away.

laura

Postby laura » Thu Feb 21, 2008 00:23 am

See, 3 was much easier with our wild 18-month old than 2 and younger- with our middle girl, once we could make her see the reasons for the things we said, her behavior got much better. So it doesn't necessarily have to get worse!

And- there were these twins I knew at 2&3- they were like Thing 1 and Thing 2 with the screeching and whining. I thought they totally would get kicked out of kindergarden. Now they're in second grade and are lovely kids and have been since they entered school. Ya never know!

kelly8sully

Postby kelly8sully » Thu Feb 21, 2008 00:10 am

I have a whiner too! I told her when she whines it tells me she's tired and needs a nap and for some reason that's worked lately. I often tell her that I can only do things for her if she can ask without whining.
And, the "stop it" and "listen to me" and interrupting are the latest challenge. My husband and I will be having a conversation, and she'll tell us to stop talking and listen to her. We're working with "wait your turn" since she has to wait her turn when I am breastfeeding her brother. And, my husband taught my daughter that patience means "calm down" -- which she defines in our dog-and-pony show for friends and family. She seems to understand it better than my freshmen high school students!
It always amazes us how she turns into a completely different, well-behaved child with other people (grandparents, other adult friends and family)!
And, I agree 3 is much more challenging than 2! On our sheet from the doctor, it said "a 3-year-old will ask more questions than a district attorney." Oh so true! I get annoyed with answering the same question 15 times in a row!

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:27 pm

Good news...your tips are working already. "I'm sorry, mommy can't hear whiny voices, only big girl words in big girl voices." She stopped and asked nicely...on two seperate occassions tonight!! WOOHOO! I'm sure this isn't a cure...but it has helped already...and that's what I needed!
Thanks ladies!

kelly w

Postby kelly w » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:05 pm

IME, some kids are whinier than others. I absolutely refuse to listen to whining [I use the same thing you do "I can't understand you when you whine. Come talk to me when you can speak without whining"]. This has worked brilliantly with most of my kids, but with my 4yo ... well, sometimes she just HAS to whine for some reason [she's a fantastic kid in every other way though, so I can't really whine about her [:D]]. I still say my line, and I totally ignore her request until she can speak correctly, but she still has to fall back to whine mode some times.... hopefully your little darling will outgrow it much sooner than my 4yo! [;)]

Kelly

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Wed Feb 20, 2008 05:46 pm

quote:Originally posted by AveryAnnsmom

She already throws fits and tantrums. She also says , "Stop it mommy, stop it!" and puts her hand out stop-sign style! 2 going on 13, I tell ya!

If they are this temperamental already, what are the teenage years going to be like? Aieee!

Boarding school anyone?

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Wed Feb 20, 2008 05:42 pm

She already throws fits and tantrums. She also says , "Stop it mommy, stop it!" and puts her hand out stop-sign style! 2 going on 13, I tell ya!

onesock

Postby onesock » Wed Feb 20, 2008 04:57 pm

Hahaha...Jamie, I was just going to post saying the twos were a breeze compared to the threes!! :P
Good Luck with Miss Diva :)

Return to “After your baby is born .....”