Give your advise on the topic of potty training.

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
celticepona

Re : Give your advise on the topic of potty training.

Postby celticepona » Sun Dec 23, 2007 09:18 am

We finally potty trained Emily (mostly) within the past month and a half. She was well over 3 1/2 years old. She was not ready before then. We had a heck of a time, add to the mix she has sensory issues where she seems to love to be in pull ups and enjoyed being wet in underpants...anyway, we finally told her pull ups are for bedtime only and we just started putting her in underpants during the day, cold turkey. I used a motivator of fruit snacks. I told her whenever she used the potty AND wore her big girl underpants she could get more fruit snacks. We used the motivator for a couple of weeks, then she did not need them anymore. We found that her being in a daycare preschool with other potty trained children helped, so she made the jump, but it took a while and a lot of patience. I wouldn't get anxious or compare with other children. Some kids learn early, and some, like mine, took a while longer. She is now in pull ups for bedtime only, and in due time we will wean her off of those too.

cindyh27

Postby cindyh27 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 03:26 pm

Bridget,

Sounds like you've gotten some awesome advice already... I wouldn't put to much pressure on yourself to train her... it will happen when she's ready... my 9 year old was 3 when she decided she was ready... and she was an over night success!

Good luck to you :)

amillhouse

Postby amillhouse » Fri Dec 14, 2007 05:30 am

Hi, there. Still in the throws of this but at the daycare they put Jada in panties from about 18 months. I don't know if this method is popular in the States but it is very popular here amonst certain groups. They say it helps sensitise them to the feelings of it all. It has worked tremendously - obviously there was a very wet process to it all. Jada basically wears panties all day and says "wee wee" when she wants to go. Now that she is on holiday I will be able to really see her rhythm with this thing. I agree with others that they let us know when they are ready. . . all the best!

julie f

Postby julie f » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:50 pm

We actually just started potty training today! We've had the little potty for a while and every now and then Jack would go on it but for the most part wasn't interested.

Anyway, we ran out of diapers last night but I did have a pack of pull-ups. So, I told him we'd just have to use those and try our best not to get "Speedy" (Lightning McQueen character) wet or dirty. I had actually planned on getting diapers today but during his little gym class this morning he told me that he needed to get to the potty. So we went and he did. Later this afternoon at the zoo, same thing - peepee on the potty. He told me that he didn't need diapers anymore, that he was learning to be a big boy. Of course he then went on to explain that he's still going to have to poop in his pants for a while because he likes to stand...[:I].

Anyway, sorry to go on about it but I'm excited! For us though, we just had to wait until he decided. When we pushed it earlier he just dug in his heels even more.

Good luck!

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Thu Dec 13, 2007 06:36 pm

I totally let my girls take the lead. One was trained about 3 months before she turned 3, the other about 3 months after she turned 3. We read books about potty training, sat on the toilet when it was fun to, and then they decided to do it on their own. I know that my kids did it later then some people like to see, but my opinion was that they were not going to be going to Kindergarten in diapers and it would come in its own time. I had tried to push it with my first and we both ended up in tears (that was only day one), so I backed off and she did it on her own.

I would be leary of doing it around the move - I think that your little one will have enough to deal with.

Good luck.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Thu Dec 13, 2007 05:46 pm

I wouldn't try to train around any major life changes - and keep in mind what constitutes 'major' to a two-year-old. We tried off and on with Nicolas starting at 2 years. Way too early for him, so we tried again at 2.5, but still no go. Finally about a month before he turned three, it was done in one day! If you're going to do it, I vote for the immersion method - all potty training, all the time! It's hard and miserable for a day or two, but done.

You will *know* if she's not ready; it will be obvious. If she lets you know that she's not (and she can even show all the signs of readiness, but still not be there psychologically/emotionally), then let it go for awhile and revisit it when she's had some time away. The more you push when they aren't ready, the more disastrous it becomes for everyone. Also, the thing I kept in mind, is that like every other developmental stage, he would get this, too - maybe just not when I (or my extended family!) thought it should be.

We tried two potties with N: one that fit onto the existing toilet and one that stood alone. Neither worked for him; he wanted to sit where we did. His rear was FAR too small, but he insisted on supporting himself with his hands/arms, and we bought him a stool to help with the climb. In stores or restaurants, I hold him over the seat (of course he's getting pretty good at standing now!).

I never knew how enjoyable it was to not have a kiddo in diapers until this...it is wonderful; of course, I just started all over [;)]!

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Thu Dec 13, 2007 04:37 pm

Don't worry so much about the move next summer. The new baby may factor in though. My DD is 25 months old and has been "practicing". She likes the potty seat that is attached to the potty. At every diaper change (at home), we change in the bathroom, and ask her if she would like to try sitting on the potty. If she says yes then we sit, for as long as she would like. She wipes, flushes, puts down the lid and then washes her hands (she likes this routine)...even if she doesn't actually potty. If she says no, we change her (usually standing up), and go about business. She almost always wants to sit now, but it wasn't like that in the beginning. We copied this schedule off of daycare. They use actual little porcelain toilets so I think that takes some of the fear away...but you can use whatever seat you have. I let her come to the bathroom with me when I go. She has successfully gone #1 and #2 on the potty...one time each! It is truly still practice though. We are fine continuing in this manner until she shows some more serious signs of potty training. We think she is a bit immature yet to go full force, but we think this is an excellent way of gearing her up for it when the time is right.

But I think you have to judge whether she's truly ready to be fully potty trained. If she's still nervous of the potty, or resistant, it's probably not time...but you could take the next step and have a consistent routine....every diaper change, every 2 hours, etc. It has to be something that works for your usual schedule too. Good luck! Let us know how it goes! We will probably start full on potty training after the holidays!

halo79rn

Give your advise on the topic of potty training.

Postby halo79rn » Thu Dec 13, 2007 03:56 pm

any advise, feel free to post! My daughter is 22 1/2 months old. We bought a potty way back when she was about 15 months just to have handy and we've read potty books when she does sit or sometimes just at random times. She is now showing the signs that she's ready for a little nudge... she hands me diapers and/or fusses when she's poopy... takes off wet diapers and grabs a clean one... stays dry through naptime... just doesn't seem interested in the potty chair itself. I know she didn't care for the old seat (it had a lid that bothered her) and she doesn't like the attachment to the big seat ... still too scary right now. I bought a baby bjorn potty today to see how she likes it. So my question is how did you do it? Did you let them lead the way? Did you schedule times to have them sit on the potty? Did you just have them sit after naptime or before bed? To bribe or not to bribe? I've heard many different opinions on that topic. I'm not sure if it's still early enough to let her be for now or if I should be encouraging it more often now? A couple of factors... new baby 3 months ago and we will be moving next summer. That adds to my dilema to push now or wait.

What worked for you?

Return to “After your baby is born .....”