Terrible two's...

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
dja

Re : Terrible two's...

Postby dja » Tue Jun 19, 2007 02:09 am

Gloria - I keep wondering when this will pass too. Malcolm is absolutely exhausting right now and I also feel at times that we go from one reprimand to a time out to a scolding to even the occassional yell. There are days when it feels like he wakes up on the wrong side of the bed and we're at odds all day. We've gotten past the hitting and pushing pretty well, but the biting was gone and now is back. And now he is throwing stuff all over. Gack. My husband and I joke that Malcolm could be a poster child for birth control....[8D]

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Sat Jun 16, 2007 08:42 am

I think that every age/stage has its challenges AND it's incredible moments. I love watching twos and threes discover the world. That look in their eye when they find a spider web, or discover that the moon is following them home from grandmas. You get to rediscover the world with them! And I haven't found anything that comes close to the sticky hug and kisses, and the "mommy, you are my best mommy" comments. They make all of those not so great moments somehow bearable. I think I am just in one of those moods as I cook and clean for Arianna's graduation party tomorrow. It all goes so by so fast. Of course, I say this as I watch Jaden shove his waffle into AJ's face. Gonna be fight!

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:33 pm

Oh yeah Alice, you are in for it, lol. When Kirsten was 18 months old, we changed her to a toddler bed and put up a gate in her doorway. With Sara, there ain't no way in the world I am letting her out of that crib any time soon. She's a terror. She can get out but doesn't do it. As long as she is not getting out, she is staying in. Kirsten was horrible as a baby. She was one of the reasons that we waited so long for Sara. Sara was the BEST baby ever. But Kirsten was really really the BEST toddler ever. So I guess it goes hand in hand. Where one child is really good at one age, the other can be terrible and vice versa. Oh and Sara is in a toddler class at daycare of all boys. She is just as rough and tumble as they are. We are Miss Independent as well.

aundapenner

Postby aundapenner » Fri Jun 15, 2007 09:23 pm

Nice Heather, nice ... marvel at!

So, I hate to ask you guys, but are you telling me that my near 13-month old is only going to get, ummm more INTENSE?!? (I really want to say worse, but feel so judgemental in doing so.)

I mean, just today he kept grabbing at my glasses and laughing at me when I would tell him no. And then, as though that wasn't enough, he's learning to talk and I swear his first word will be NO. Ugh. And biting. Boy does he bite. And his dad is teaching him to wrestle. Ugh again. Oh no. Please tell me it's gets better!!!

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Fri Jun 15, 2007 04:36 pm

We had tried the toddler bed convert when Nicolas was 2.5, but he was sneaking into his closet at 2 am and having a party with all his toys...'til he got caught and the rails on the crib went back up. Then, when Ella was born (he was closer to three at this point) we converted it back to a toddler bed so I wouldn't have to lift him out post-section. That little stinker has never stepped out of bed since! He sits in there and yells, at the top of his lungs, "Mama, come get me out!" Kind of defeated the purpose of giving him a little independence, but I guess it's better that late night closet parties! We have no idea why he won't get out now seeing as he never had a problem with it before. Two-year-olds are definiely something to, ummm...marvel at [;)]!

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Fri Jun 15, 2007 04:29 pm

Bedtime is my biggest challenge. AJ has a queen bed all to himself. Or I should say, his teddy bear does. He generally sleeps on the floor next to my side of the bed. Outside of locking his door, which I am not going to do, I have no idea how to keep him in there. My girls were the same way, so I look forward to any advise you get!!

josiah1112

Postby josiah1112 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:05 am

Well, I see that I am in good company.I've been realizing that Max is actually not as bad as other kids I've seen.Different moms have also started telling me that with boys 3-4 and 5 can be way more intense!I pray for energy,consistency and patience.Time out for us is putting him in his room.Also,do any of your children sleep in a toddler bed?Max has in own bed but we have not figured out how to get him to stay all night.Perhaps if we just leave since his room has a gate at the entrance.

amiejo

Postby amiejo » Fri Jun 15, 2007 09:40 am

I am in this all so fun terrible two's club. Ty is a little monster now. He will tackle, hit, kick, and slap anyone, but mainly his big sister. I swore it was a boy thing but I guess not since there are plenty of little girls making there mark here too. We cant say anything to him at the moment because he just laughs. We have to use the time-out without saying anything except "no hit" while we are carting him off to time-out. I cant wait till this passes. He is just so much more aggressive than Alyssa was. She was worse at 3 so please dont let him get even worse!

miracle3

Postby miracle3 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 09:32 am

Lindsey who just turned two has been biting as well!!!! My boys never threw temper tantrums but man she can throw them well. So well we nicknamed her DRAMA PRINCESS!!!! She has been biting her brothers and she gets a time out for it... but its not working. I am right here with you I really don't have any advice. I just wanted you to know I feel your pain literally!!!! In my experience the 3's have always been worse.... I wonder whats in store for us???

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Thu Jun 14, 2007 03:19 pm

The physical aggression will likely pass once he is more verbal. Then you can join me in the mouthy threes. When AJ gets angry his eyes flash, his fists ball up, but he now will let you have it with his little mouth. And some of the things he comes up with-well, I have to turn away and get it under control because I am laughing so hard. As far as the bundle of energy piece, I have no idea when that will pass. DH is 35, and I am still waiting. Time aways worked well with AJ because he hates not being in the middle of everything and everyone. Now, he will try to engage in an argument on the way to his room. So, yes, the twos will pass. Into the threes, fours, sixteens.....Take a deep breath and enjoy them all.

Return to “After your baby is born .....”