Terrible Twos, Aye yie

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
christine lyn

Re : Terrible Twos, Aye yie

Postby christine lyn » Sat May 10, 637969 8:32 am

Amy yes Shane is doing great like nothing happened. He's still a very busy boy but what can you do. Good thing I'm a hairdresser to cover the gray when it comes in.

celticepona

Postby celticepona » Sat Jan 28, 637967 10:43 pm

quote:Originally posted by christine lyn

Hi Amy I have a monster who is two. He keeps me very busy and tries everything he can with me but when he is with others(grandparents, aunts, etc.) he's great with them. The thing I don't understand is I don't let him get away with anything but he keeps testing me over and over. Him being also a climber he decided to climb over the back of the recliner chair and let go....well he hit his head and off we went to the emergncy room for 3 1/2 hours to get two staples in the back of his head on New Year's Night. I keep telling myself that it's not forever and he'll out grow this two thing.

Whoof! Is he doing better now? No wonder we moms get gray hair so quickly! Yes Emmy still test boundaries, but I am finding I always remind her with "Excuse me! No, that's not how we act." and she usually apologizes with a hug. Thing I am finding is maintaining the patience on my end is all!

ozierja

Postby ozierja » Mon Nov 07, 637966 9:28 pm

Testing boundaries is a big part of development and I read somewhere they actually do better presented with firm boundaries instead of caving (which is so easy to do at this age). I too have a very creative 2 ish year old who tests constantly! I have heard it does get better somewhere along the way...maybe by 35???

laura

Postby laura » Fri Oct 28, 637966 3:23 pm

YES! I hadn't thought about that in a long time.. we had some moments of sheer * (that were inevitably side-splittingly funny) with Camille between 18 mos and 2.5 years, but at 3.5, she's outgrown it almost entirely. Now, she's content with giving everyone directions. Sometimes I miss that wild kid, but it all goes so fast...

christine lyn

Postby christine lyn » Thu Oct 27, 637966 6:41 pm

Hi Amy I have a monster who is two. He keeps me very busy and tries everything he can with me but when he is with others(grandparents, aunts, etc.) he's great with them. The thing I don't understand is I don't let him get away with anything but he keeps testing me over and over. Him being also a climber he decided to climb over the back of the recliner chair and let go....well he hit his head and off we went to the emergncy room for 3 1/2 hours to get two staples in the back of his head on New Year's Night. I keep telling myself that it's not forever and he'll out grow this two thing.

celticepona

Postby celticepona » Sun Oct 16, 637966 6:53 pm

Thanks ladies. I am finding that being firm and using time out whenever she hits and gives me attitude is helping to counter the neg behavior. I am also trying to redirect her more and offer her choices so she is more responsible for her behavior. I am trying everything in the book here! She has been better lateley. For example "No hitting! I like hugs better!" then she give me a hug. awwwww...I forgive her and we move on. I have no idea if it will work long term but we will see!

brooklynsmom

Postby brooklynsmom » Sun Oct 16, 637966 2:50 am

Wow...I feel so much better about my little devil right now! They can be so cute one minute, then turn the next...welcome to the terrible twos! And I heard three was worse...I hope I heard wrong!:)

darcynulph

Postby darcynulph » Fri Oct 14, 637966 9:13 am

I am going through the same thing with Madeline right now and it is driving me crazy. My sweet little girl is the devil right now. You are not alone in this struggle.

kelly w

Postby kelly w » Wed Oct 05, 637966 12:57 am

All of my kiddos have gone through this around age 2. I think it is a pretty normal stage of development - even if they don't have a bad example to follow [though I'm sure that doesn't help!].

You are doing the right thing in dealing with the behavior and letting her know it won't be tolerated. Keep being consistent and I bet this phase will pass quickly with her. It always did with my little guys!

Kelly

sarab
Site Admin

Postby sarab » Sun Sep 11, 637966 8:47 pm

Oh, that's so frustrating! I remember the day our sweet little Maggie came home from the nursery class at church and started hitting - something that she had never done, or really even seen up to that point. I know they are bound to learn this stuff eventually, but it's still sad when your sweet girl starts picking it up from other kids. I'm not saying that Emmy was never going to start doing negative things, but it's frustrating that another kid is leading the way. I'm sure the fact that it's a close relative just adds to the trouble.

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. I hate to say it, but I think it just snowballs from here right on the through the teenage years.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

Return to “After your baby is born .....”