Tubal Ligation

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
jrmerritt

Re : Tubal Ligation

Postby jrmerritt » Tue Jul 22, 637681 4:02 pm

I was 28. Having 3 high risk pregnancies all with pre-eclampsia, I wasn't taking any more chances. Plus 3 is enough for me and DH.

darcynulph

Postby darcynulph » Tue Jul 22, 637681 3:48 am

I would like to know how old everybody was when they decided to get a tubal. My situation is that I will have one more child and was thinking about having it done during the c-section. I will be 36 (hopefully) when I have my next child. My dh has offered to have the Big "V", but since I am already there I thought it would be best. I don't want to have regrets about getting it done too soon, but I can't see myself having another child at 40.

jrmerritt

Postby jrmerritt » Mon Jul 21, 637681 11:08 am

I got mine done after having my 3rd child almost a year ago. They did mine during my c-section. I just wish my anesthesia (sp?) wasn't only half working. Let me tell you it hurt like crazy!! Anyways...love not having to take birth control anymore. It's great. No complications here. I definately would recommend it.

caitlynsmama

Postby caitlynsmama » Sat Jul 12, 637681 5:55 am

Amanda,

I had mine done with my c-section last year with Gennavieve. I knew that my body could not take another high risk pregnancy but I do know that I have regretted from time to time in the last year due to the fact that I feel that there is another baby in my heart but I know that I made the right decision for my health. I did not have PE come in with the pregnancy with Genna but I was on the borderline when she was born. My bp was sky rocketing, my blood platelet levels dropping dangerously, the swelling was miserable, etc. I have A LOT of scar tissue in my belly button area, in fact I have not belly button now. Unfortunately I do not have health insurance at the moment and do not have the money to pay the bill but within the next couple of months my husband will be permanent with his job so hopefully I can get the scar tissue problem looked at since I do have a lot of pain during ovulation and my af time. I don't know if it is the cause but with what Sabrina said I do not want to take a chance. Good luck with this choice. It is a hard one.

surefoott

Postby surefoott » Sat Jul 12, 637681 3:30 am

I'm one of those who wished I hadn't had it done. I had it done immediately after my 3rd daughter's birth. She is now 25, but I can tell you that I had regrets many times. Plus, now I'm married to another man and we would have loved to have had one together; but by the time we got married, I was older than what most are when they get a reversal. I have always thought I did it just at what I thought at that moment, although at the time I believed that I'd given it alot of clear thought. But you just never know what the future will bring. Everytime I hear of someone planning to do it; I just hope and pray they don't have the same regrets that I did. I don't even know if I would have had more kids; it's just that having the tubal took away any choice I would ever have. I'm over all that now; I have grandkids and my childbearing years are so far in the past. I would just say to be very very very sure; and know that sometimes things do change.

rosemary
Forum Moderator

Postby rosemary » Sat Jul 12, 637681 3:30 am

I had my tubal almost 2 years ago and I would do it again in a minute. I had no complications and went back to work the next day (which I wouldn't advise - take at least a day or two off). Other than being slightly uncomfortable for a day or two, it was easy. My tubes were cauterized which is the most reliable method of permanent ligation. It is a nice thing to never have to worry about becoming pregnant again.

annegarrett

Postby annegarrett » Mon Jun 30, 637681 4:55 am

I had it during my c-section for the fourth and final and when the doctor asked me "if I was sure" (Bonnie's explanation above applied), I said, "I will sit up and do it myself if you don't"...he did. I have been very happy with it. No complications. The only "regret" has been lately as I am engaged to a man who has no children of his own (fyi, he is fine with this) and every so often I have "twinges" of thinking how lovely he would be with a baby and what a shame it is that we can't have that experience but for me those thoughts are short-lived. We have a full house and not having to ever worry (like I used to--the fear of pregnancy was a monthly anxiety) is a welcome relief. And for me, no obvious issues as a result.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Mon Jun 30, 637681 4:01 am

Emersons mom - Scar tissue could be causing adhesions. I had no risk factors for adhesions but had excruciating pain during ovulation and a couple days before and during my period. I had adhesions on the left ovary, left fallopian tube, bowel and peritineum wall. All the adhesions were on the left, all my pain was on the right. If you keep having it don't wait a year. They do a lap to see what is going on. I waited WAY too long to finally do the surgery.

emersons mom

Postby emersons mom » Sun Jun 29, 637681 5:07 pm

i had mine done at the time of my c-section in april.......wish i had done some research as i have had mega pain during ovulation since......my ob said if the pain lasts more than a year she will look into my scar tissue as the cause......i wish i had not had it done......i was trying to be efficient, I figured hey they were in there anyway!

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Sun Jun 29, 637681 6:15 am

I had mine done at my c-section with Sacha. No problems and I love not having to think about bc ever again.

Return to “After your baby is born .....”