Crying at bathtime

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
dja

Re : Crying at bathtime

Postby dja » Wed Sep 13, 2006 01:06 am

Lucy - I tried putting in much less water, plus I made it cooler. It isn't perfect, but he'll stay in long enough to let me get him relatively clean. Thanks for the tips!

lizzybeth

Postby lizzybeth » Sun Sep 10, 2006 04:29 pm

That was great Lucy, thanks!
lizzybeth

lucy

Postby lucy » Sun Sep 10, 2006 01:10 am

I heard they go through that stage I found this quote:it's common for babies and toddlers to be scared that they might be swept down the drain with the water because their sense of scale isn't developed enough for them to realize that's impossible), but whenever a child develops a fear, it's crucial to accept it. It's helpful to tell your toddler when there's (truthfully) nothing to fear, but it isn't helpful to tell her not to be afraid. Saying "The tub is perfectly safe, but I can see it frightens you, so let's just use the sink for the moment," shows your child that you're on her side. Saying "There's nothing to be frightened of, you silly girl," on the other hand, offers her neither reassurance nor support.

Most toddler fears pass as quickly as they arrive, especially if they're handled tactfully. You may be able to speed this one on its way with lots of water fun that has nothing to do with baths and bathrooms. If your daughter still loves her Mommy-and-me swim class or enjoys splashing around in a wading pool, she'll soon come back to bathing, especially if the first few times you put only a few inches of water in the tub and get in with her. If she can't face the wading pool, either, offer her a plastic dishpan and lots of cups to fill and empty.

darcynulph

Postby darcynulph » Sat Sep 09, 2006 02:20 pm

My daughter started to get like that about a month ago so we started giving her a shower in the morning with us and she loves it. She will stand next to the shower in the morning and wait while we are getting her things ready. She has no interest in taking a bath, but loves to go swimming. So I suggest a shower for awhile.

timelessbeauty

Postby timelessbeauty » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:10 am

My kids would do this because they disliked being in the seat thingy for their bath. I had to put them in it for safety but they didn't seem to care about the reason, it was just frustrating for them. Of course you do the obvious and check the water temp to see if it's too cold (especially for boys) or too warm. Too many distracting toys or not enough?? And then once you run down the list of obvious reasons, you just end up chalking it up to another stage in their life. My son didn't mind his baths, then he had a stage of crying, now he's back to kicking and splashing around. Sometimes that last bit of energy needs to be expended, even if it's crying, if you are bathing before bedtime and they are just getting tired earlier due to a growth spurt. Good luck on the bathtime ritual!

dja

Crying at bathtime

Postby dja » Sat Sep 09, 2006 01:38 am

Malcolm has enjoyed having a bath since he was tiny. In the last month or so, having a bath has turned into a crying struggle. He keeps trying to stand up and climb out, and cries while I get him clean. Has anyone else had this experience? If so, what did you do? And how long did it last?

Return to “After your baby is born .....”