Who's currently nursing?? And or extended nursing?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
rachel a

Re : Who's currently nursing?? And or extended nursing?

Postby rachel a » Fri Sep 01, 2006 02:03 am

I am nursing Addi! We've been going for an easy month. It's been so much easier than with Dylan!

patty

Postby patty » Fri Sep 01, 2006 01:09 am

My first two boys nursed until they were 2 the first weaned himself naturally right at his second birthday and the next I weaned easily a month after he turned 2 because I was pregnant with his sister. I went back to work when she turned 2 and I thought she would wean at 2 as well but she was more persistant. I practically had to beat her off with a stick after her third birthday. It was good for her though she was the only one of my kids ever in daycare (in her grandma's class) and she never got really sick or had ear infections. My new baby is 6 months and happily nursing I am sure for months (or years) to come.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Wed Aug 30, 2006 09:02 pm

Survival of the species!!!!

mommajo

Postby mommajo » Wed Aug 30, 2006 06:43 pm

I guess they come by it naturally, hehe

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Wed Aug 30, 2006 03:59 pm

I guess I probably don't really belong on this thread as I'm not breastfeeding. I read what you said, Joanna, about your son touching your breasts...my two year old has become particularly obsessed with mine (albeit they are huge now from early pregnancy). He likes to poke them, tap them, mash them, anything really (and in public!) and he was only b-fed for 2 weeks (bp issues). My nephew, when he was three-ish, was also fascinated with breasts. Maybe it's a boy thing?!?!

mommajo

Postby mommajo » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:27 am

I nursed my son until he was 27 months old and I am very proud of that we had a lot of mommy and baby bonding time. At the end it was getting embarrassing there was a couple of times he came up and pulled my shirt up in front of people. He was really attached to the breast feeding and it was how he went to sleep every night. It wasn't hard to wean him when the time came I just told him he's a big boy now and doesn't need it. He accepted that but I have noticed that now at age 3 and half he still tries to touch my breasts at times. I wonder if that is because of the all the breastfeeding. I think you should breastfeed as long as the two of you want. It s better for your baby than cow's milk, and good for you too. I started gaining weight after I stopped breast feeding so watch out for that when the time comes.

cindergretta

Postby cindergretta » Mon Aug 21, 2006 03:40 am

I am currently nursing my 3 y/o. [:D] I nursed my 1st for 9 mos, my 2nd for 22 mos, my 3rd for 30 mos, my 4th is still nursing and my 5th never learned but I pumped for her for almost 13 mos. [:)]

jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby jenn » Wed Aug 16, 2006 04:16 pm

Anika, oh Anika... teeth. My sympathy in advance.
I wish I had some outstanding words of greater mommy wisdom.
But I don't really have much.
Talia got teeth around 10 months and I lived in fear of the day she'd chomp down. Sure enough the day came and it took all my might not to scream and jump through the ceiling.
Out of reaction I yelped 'NO!' and she started crying and let go.
This became a routine reaction for anytime she got a hold of my nips.

I've found that if they have the chance to bite, then they are not activly nursing. So my best words of wisdom would be to make sure your feeding her when she's truly hungry and make sure when she gets her fill that you part on good terms and end it so there is no chance of bordom biting.

Best wishes!!
Jenn

GraysonsAunt- Envy of my world! I know exactly what you mean by having your own body back. I feel like mine has been out on loan since the day Natalia was born.....I'm so wanting to lean!

TracyM, Aww it came to and end huh? But the good news is that is sounds like it was a good time for both of you. Niether you ro your daughter seem to have any sadness or frustation with the decision- your choice or not.
And I think I actually grabed for my nips when you mentioned "teeth grinding your nipples!" OMG! poor thing! Perhaps the timing couldn't have been better [;)]

all my best to all. Jenn

tracym

Postby tracym » Mon Aug 14, 2006 00:00 am

I think we're done :(

She hasn't had any or asked for a week now. A couple of times she's looked down my top and said "gone" so I'm wondering whether she just wasn't getting anything the past few weeks, it was only once a day.

And as horrible as what I'm about to say makes me feel...I'm glad. I haven't enjoyed it as much for the past few months, and she'd developed a lazy latch so her teeth were grinding on my nipples.

Still, 2+ years with ds, and 18m with dd...I'm happy with that overall :)

graysonsaunt

Postby graysonsaunt » Tue Aug 08, 2006 03:17 pm

I tried to nurse my son, to no avail, but I did manage to pump for about a month. He would just not latch on. My daughter, however, picked it up easily. After I returned to work, my supply dwindled and I supplemented with formula, but I continued to give her what I could each day. She weened herself right before her 1st birthday. Or maybe I weened her because she started biting me and when she did that I would stop nursing. Either way, we both handled the weening easily. I really enjoyed nursing, it was one of the greatest joys of parenting, but.... I am relieved to have my body back to myself, LOL!!!

There was just a snipit on breastfeeding in this article about NEC, which I know many people on this forum have had to go through with their babies. It says that breastfeeding preemies with intestinal problems can actually help them from developing NEC!!!

Here's the link...
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14231980/

BTY-Great post, it brought back all the happy memories [:o)]

Return to “After your baby is born .....”