20 months old and bad news---Is this the place?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
keneke68

Re : 20 months old and bad news---Is this the place?

Postby keneke68 » Wed May 10, 2006 03:15 am

Suzanne
I am so sorry that you are having to deal with all of this. My prayers are with you. Both my niece and nephew both have CP. My nephew is 16 and my niece will be 11. So I am familar with alot of issues surrounding CP. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. If I don't know my sister inlaw sure will.

rareepiphany

Postby rareepiphany » Wed May 10, 2006 00:22 am

My prayers are with you. The not knowing can be so horrible! May you get the answers and peace that you deserve and need. I'm praying for the very very best.

blessings

crogers

Postby crogers » Wed May 03, 2006 09:08 am

This might not help you at all- but I want to tell you that I had an RA (Resident Assistant) with CP who is graduating in a few days with her degree in special education and regular education. She is a very bright young lady and has overcome her physical disabilities to go on and have a very successful life (she had a severe case- adn the doctors said she would never walk, etc- she does and can also roller skate). Even though she uses a wheel chair, she is quite mobile and has done so well.
However, I know this doesnt bring comfort at a time when you have lots of unanswered questions...but I guess the reason for posting is I wanted to give you a scenario that turned out really well and didnt mean worse case. You and the baby will be in our thoughts and prayers. Please let us know how everything goes.

susan belisle

Postby susan belisle » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:20 am

While I can't help you with the CP issue. I can share that when my last daughter was in the NICU they did find some cycsts (SP) on the lower back of her brain near the brain stem. They had no idea what would become of them. And we never found out cause she passed away shortly after due to unrealted circumstances. I was told that CP effects muscle development. And that most kids with CP have fabiouls brain power since they can really build up knowledge to make up for the lack of mobilitly. But this is just hearsay.

I know you must be feeling very lost and confused right now. I hope that you can come here and find the support you need to guide you though.

jenchar

Postby jenchar » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:01 am

Hi Suzanne,

I'm sorry to hear that Jane may have CP. Darn after effects of PE! We are currently watching our daughter, Meghan, born 5/04 for CP, too. She was a peanut weighing in at 1 pound, 9.5 ounces at 27 weeks. She suffers from left-sided weakness issues, but cognitively is all there. Anyway, I wanted to say that I know that this is scary right now, but hang in there honey. Jane is a survivor and, you can help her through this. [:)] Many people live their lives with CP, and do great.

Does Jane currently receive any "early intervention" programs like speech therapy, physical therapy, or occupational therapy. If not, you might want to look into it since early intervention is a federally funded program available in your county. You could contact them to ask for an assessment to see where Jane's delays are or aren't. The reason I suggest intervention is that the earlier therapy starts, the better...at least that is what our EI coordinator told us. My daughter, Meghan, has made really great strides now that she has therapy. I'm so proud of her and glad to have her therapy team working with us to help Meghan.

If you'd like to chat more, feel free to email me or post here.

Hugs,

Jen [:)]

miracle3

Postby miracle3 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 09:41 am

I wanted to let you know you are in the right place. I don't have any experience regarding this but I wanted to let you know I am thinking of you. I hope you get some answers soon.

suzanne

20 months old and bad news---Is this the place?

Postby suzanne » Thu Apr 27, 2006 06:43 am

Hi---It's been a LONG time since I've been on this site! My daughter Janey is 20 months old. She is my 3rd child. I had preeclampsia during my pregnancy with her, as well as during my 1st pregnancy with my son William (but NOT during my 2nd pregnancy!)

We have had some concerns about Janey for a while, mainly in the area of motor development. She just very recently started to pull up to standing, and she can't stand alone, walk, etc. She didn't crawl until a few months ago. She understands everything we say, but her speech is hard to understand, although she talks a lot. We saw a neurologist last month, and she ordered a MRI. Yesterday we finally talked to her about the results of the MRI, which was done April 5th. It was a hurried conversation, but the gist of it was that the MRI was abnormal---that Janey showed several spots on her frontal lobe.

Of course we are devestated and not sure where to turn next. We have a follow-up appt. next month, but I have of course been trying hard to find out all I can on the internet, and it's not much---I think frontal lobe damage is a rarer diagnosis in toddlers. I think this means she officially has Cerebral Palsy, but I am not sure. I did find almost every site mentions pre-eclampsia as a risk factor for CP, and I did know that was the case.

I am not sure if this is the right group to be posting to, but I was feeling completely alone this morning and remembered all the wonderful support I got here during my pregnancy!

Thanks for listening---Suzanne

Return to “After your baby is born .....”