Update, pics & ???s

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
lizzybeth

Re : Update, pics & ???s

Postby lizzybeth » Sat Nov 19, 2005 02:44 am

Hi Julie,
Here's a few suggestions to add:
try the teething crackers/cookies, you know the really hard ones that Jack can hold in his hand like a toy, stick in his mouth and they eventually melt some and slowly get him swallowing solid-mushy stuff. The good thing is that he still is holding it so he won't go looking for it in his mouth and take it out. It will also help with the teething in general.
The cereal type foods in the bottle also works really well.
Please make note of what Gossamer said. My first had severe food allergies. We ended up calling 911 at 6 months when he had an anaphilactic shock reaction to scrambled eggs. We changed to a pediatrician that specialized in allergies and he took Donovan off all solids and back on soy formula until he was 2 years old. We then had a regime of what and when to introduce new foods. Worked just like the doc said and now he is food allergy free.The doc also said that food allergies is common with preemies... He had symptoms of food allergies since birth, and my then pediatrician kept blowing off my concerns as an overly nervous new Mom. Yup, you bet I fired him!

Best of luck with Jack and his chompers!
lizzybeth

gossamer

Postby gossamer » Sat Nov 19, 2005 01:11 am

Julie, I don't know if you have a history of allergies in your family, but there is a theory that babies who are slower to take to solid foods are protecting themselves from food allergies. They seem to instinctively know to avoid the solids for as long as possible until their little systems can handle it. Just an idea. Good luck.
Gossamer

heather h

Postby heather h » Thu Nov 17, 2005 02:12 pm

Oh my gosh - what a cute little pumpkin... [:D] how adorable!

dja

Postby dja » Wed Nov 16, 2005 07:53 pm

Julie, Malcolm gets very picky about food when the teething is at its worst. I would think it woudl be a nice distraction, but when his teeth hurt he just gets bad and wants to bite the spoon.

Have you tried making some of your own mashed veges that are a rougher texture than what you often can buy? Malcolm is just getting used to more texture, and we're done well so far. It might help. I've also been told that it can help because it usually tastes better than store cans.

mom29

Postby mom29 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 07:36 pm

You got lots of great advice. One thing I tried with my youngest is those Gerber fruit & veggie puffs. They melt in the baby's mouth before he can gag on them and he gets practice picking food up and putting it in his mouth. After trying those my son quickly progressed to other things.

shelbys mom

Postby shelbys mom » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:43 am

Julie, what great photo's Jack is an absolute sweetheart!!!!

lorelei

Postby lorelei » Wed Nov 16, 2005 09:01 am

Those pics are adorable Julie!!

bethaniesmommy

Postby bethaniesmommy » Wed Nov 16, 2005 00:04 am

Oh goodness Julie, he is SOOOOO cute!!!! And I just LOVE the pumpkin costume!!

As for the feeding, I wish I could help but Elianna loves to eat and she will eat just about anything except babyfood veggies. I started off by just giving her little bites of things we were eating when she started showing interest which is why she won't eat the babyfood, she knows the real stuff tastes so much better. Now she will eat just about anything we eat and the only babyfood I buy is bananas, she loves those.

I remember having a hard time with Bethanie getting her to eat solids but I can't remember what we did to help. Sorry!

We think Elianna says "Hi" too. When she first sees someone she puts a hand up and says "I". It's so cute.

Thanks for sharing the pictures!

julie f

Postby julie f » Tue Nov 15, 2005 00:18 am

Thank you guys so much for your advice. Dh and I were talking about this issue and I told him, "Don't worry, I asked the 'mommy hotline,' they'll know what to do!" I just worry all the time that whatever I'm doing, or not doing, is going to screw him up for life...![:0]

I'll just keep offering and let him so his own thing. I've got to go get a mat to put under his high chair...[;)]

I'll let you know when we have success!

angelkat

Postby angelkat » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:12 pm

Julie.... Jack is just the cutest!!!.. Thanks for sharing. As for the food issue, I agree with the other ladies...

Give Jack a huge hug from me!!!

Return to “After your baby is born .....”