Ages and Stages - Infant (0-12 months)

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
rachel a

Re : Ages and Stages - Infant (0-12 months)

Postby rachel a » Thu Aug 25, 2005 07:51 pm

Thanks SueAnn!

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Tue Aug 23, 2005 07:35 pm

To switch from formula to whole milk. Start with 1/4 milk to 3/4 formula (mixed like normal) in the bottle or cup. Gradually increase milk and decrease formula. I've heard though that breast milk and/or formula is still their main nutrition up to a year. Whole milk is not the same, so that's why usually the switch is not recomeneded until then. Diluting it with water would make it have even less nutrients that they need.

As for their tummies. If they can tolerate formula made with milk (vs needing soy formula) then they usually can tolerate whole milk. As I said above the issue with switching is a calories/nutrient issue.

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Tue Aug 23, 2005 06:00 pm

Thanks T! I felt fine starting him on the whole milk when I did, but to have PED so say "GOD NO!" I felt horrible! Especially since Dylan really enjoyed the whole milk.

Thanks!

Edited: Strike through

angelkat

Postby angelkat » Tue Aug 23, 2005 08:26 am

Some Doctors are for whole milk around 8 months as long as the baby tummy can handle it. To be honset one night I ran out of formula (thinking he wouldn't wake up in the middle of the night and I had time to run to the store in the early am hours) WELL... what I did was do half whole milk and half water. He LOVE it. His tummy never had a problem with it.

My thoughts are try to see what effects it might have on the old tummy. I would start off doing 1/2 and 1/2 then adding less and less water as the days go on.

Casey's not a juice person at all so he mostly gets milk. Talk about I need to own a cow LOL!

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Tue Aug 23, 2005 01:10 am

T,

Oh yes!! Thanks T! Any advice on how to properly wean him from formula? Our ped says that whole milk will tear up his stomach, but (being investigative) we've tried it and he likes it and it hasn't seemed to bother him the few times we tried. What's your personal opinion on this?

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Tue Aug 23, 2005 01:07 am

Jenn,

Dylan just got his first tooth right after/at 10 months. A couple days later he got tooth #2! B'feeding...I wouldn't complain either. Congrats on waving...Dylan is now 10 1/2 months old and we just started that this past weekend!

Donna,

We introduced stage 2 food by six months (Dylan was eight weeks early and we don't adjust his age...so he really got it at six months, four if you attempt to adjust). We also introduced sippy at the same time. He wasn't always excited to take it, but sippy can take a while, so I would introduce as soon as you start juice.

bethaniesmommy

Postby bethaniesmommy » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:49 pm

Donna,
Elianna is 6 months old as well and I just started her on stage 2 (better deal, bigger jars but same cost, makes no sence to me). WE have tried the bananas and applesauce and they didn't seem any different then the stage 1 ones. We tried chicken and rice today and that DID NOT go over well, 3 bites is all I could get into her. She loves her fruit babyfood but hates the veggies baby food, yet she loves the veggies we share with her of ours.

Jenn,
Elianna was 5 months old when she got her first tooth and less than a week later got #2! But Bethanie was 14 months (she was 3 months early so 11 months if you go by her adjusted age, which is still late for teething). It seems that there is no rhyme or reason to teething. My cousin's baby got her first tooth the same week that Elianna got hers, she is 2 1/2 months older, but a few weeks later she got another but it was on top. So she has one tooth on the bottom and one on top and they meet perfectly when she bites down.

Angela,
So glad to hear that Hayden is doing so well!

Sandy,
I wouldn't be too concerned either, I read somewhere that rolling over isn't a major developmental milestone. Bethanie never rolled over, she HATED tummy time and would spend it with her arms and legs raised up and cry the whole time because she was so mad. I would say if she seems to be doing most everything else that they do at 6 months (sitting with support, trying to pick things up, gabbering, etc) then I wouldn't worry but would probably give her more floor time to work on it. Elianna first started rolling at 3 months old but she still doesn't do it all the time, it seems like when she does it's more of an accident than her really trying to.

I love hearing about the babies!!

meljoi

Postby meljoi » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:54 am

Sandy-
I wouldn't be all that concerned, as she is attempting it by rolling to her side-I would be vigilant about tummy time and back time and holding things of interest to her where she will have to attempt a roll to see what you've got. I would give it a bit longer before asking her pediatrician-if you have an appt coming up, I might bring it up.
She'll do it soon and then there will be NO stopping her :-)

sandy

Postby sandy » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:51 pm

Hi again,
My smallest is 6 months old (already!) and I keep reading about all your babies who are rolling over by this age.

She is not. She'll roll from her back to her side, but has not yet rolled from tummy to back or back to tummy.

At what point would you be getting a little concerned about the not rolling over yet?

meljoi

Postby meljoi » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:33 pm

Howdy!
I am Melissa, mom to Lucy Isabelle-
who is now a very hyper 9 months old.
She has a half a tooth on the bottom....stands, walks around the furniture,
says "ma ma" and "brabra" (for brother).....
she is refusing spoon foods and only wants those Gerber Puffs...that and the boob-nonstop. I thought I'd wean at 6 months and here I am 3 months later. She's about 18.5 pounds and loves....LOVES rough housing with big brother.

Return to “After your baby is born .....”