Ages and Stages - Infant (0-12 months)

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
paige_va

Re : Ages and Stages - Infant (0-12 months)

Postby paige_va » Mon Oct 24, 2005 08:12 pm

Julie,
A friend of mine recommended the book Twelve Hours by Twelve Weeks. It's actually not even available on Amazon until January, but you can get it on the author's website. If you're interested, I can email you the URL. The author claims to be able to get any baby to sleep twelve hours by twelve weeks of age, and without tears, simply by putting them on a schedule, and emphasizing routine. We've been doing a modified version of her plan for the last five weeks. I say modified because, for instance, one of the things that she stresses is putting the baby on a feeding schedule, and spacing feedings out to every four hours during the day. Because of Meredith's low birth weight, this was simply not an option for us. She needs to be fed on demand. However, the rest of it we've followed pretty closely. The thing that I like best about the program is that the author does not advocate CIO. She says that babies don't really learn anything if they cry more than 3-5 minutes, and advocates parents calming the baby if they cry. With Meredith, this meant sometimes 10-15 "visits" to her room each night, but she would always eventually go to sleep, usually within about 30 minutes. One night, she just didn't cry at all, and she hasn't cried since. It just seemed to click one night.

julie f

Postby julie f » Mon Oct 24, 2005 00:52 am

Paige - Please fill me in on sleep training!!! I read the No Cry Sleep Solution and think it's great but I got a bit lazy and haven't given it good enough effort...

Jack doesn't mind sitting in poop either... He's never gone for that long with a dirty diaper (he usually makes it very well known when he's pooping...[:0]) but there have been times where I've had to finish something - grocery store, a drive, a walk home from the park, etc. and it never seems to bother him. I never thought about it making him harder to potty train...

paige_va

Postby paige_va » Sun Oct 23, 2005 09:39 pm

I guess all babies are different. One night, Meredith just didn't wake up, and she's slept through every night since. She's not eating any more than she was before, and we haven't done anything different with her routine. We were doing sleep training, however, (not CIO) and she has successfully put herself to sleep for the last week. [:)]

One question. Does anyone else fear that their babies don't care if they're dirty? It doesn't seem to bother Meredith at all! I swear she would sit in it all day if I let her! Is this normal??? I'm concerned this could make her difficult to potty train. (Not that I have to worry about this for a long, long time, but still...)

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Fri Oct 21, 2005 03:40 pm

Julie,

I really thought that Dylan was going to skip crawling, but he just took his time. He only crawled a couple of months before he began walking!

I was like you with the night feedings. I kept being told that he should be sleeping through the night, yet he kept waking up for a bottle. Dylan has never drank more than 6oz and when I we offer more his "automatic shut off valve" tells him that he's hit 6oz.

Dylan is now 12 1/2 months and he still won't hold his bottle! Not even in a good mood! I think he knows he's got me wrapped around his finger!

julie f

Postby julie f » Fri Oct 21, 2005 01:30 pm

I haven't been on this thread in a while but I'm wondering some of the same things about night feedings. My dr. says that Jack is big enough to be able to sleep through the night without eating (he's 18lbs.9oz. @ almost 9 mths) but Jack still wakes up, a lot sometimes!

The most he ever takes from his bottle is four ounces, day or night, it's like he has an automatic shutoff valve at that point. So during the whole day, he maybe drinks 12oz. (He has baby food for lunch and dinner) He goes to bed at 6:30pm and wakes up at 10:30, 2:30, sometimes 4:30, and then up for good by 7. At all of those times, he inhales four ounces. I feel like he must be hungry so I'm real hesitant to take those feedings away. Plus, CIO is not going to happen here. I'm not opposed to it but 1. Dh and I don't agree on the issue and 2. I'm a pushover...

Rachel - Jack will only hold his bottle if he's flat on his back AND in a good mood...

Does anyone else think their baby is going to skip crawling? Jack seems to have no interest. He's just now started to stay on his tummy instead of immediately flipping but he rarely pushes up. He can sit on his own just fine (can't get into the sitting position on his own though) and he's started to pull himself up to standing in his crib. I'm quite certain he's realized that there is no need to crawl - why bother when Mommy will take you everywhere??[;)]

lorelei

Postby lorelei » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:41 am

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but LOL...I still do the same thing to my 4 year old Frasiah! I was so paranoid of losing him due to the p/e thing while pregnant that I had in my head that "something was going to get him one way or the other" I was TERRIFIED (if that's a strong enough word) of Sids and still am. He slept w/us until he was over 2 years old! I am doing much better w/Dalton. He's been in his crib all night by himself now for a little over a month and he's close to 15 mos. I still check on him a lot though...

frasiah
Forum Moderator

Postby frasiah » Fri Oct 21, 2005 09:55 am

Let me tell you what I have even done ladies... gone into the room and the child is sleeping too peacefully for me. So what does this crazy mama do, I try and open their fingers, if I get no response, like a sigh, a lift the hand, if nothing, the leg, nothing yet, tickle the stomach. By this time the child sighs and will continue sleeping. Sometimes they breath so shallowly that I really cannot tell if they are okay by merely looking at them, LOL!

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Fri Oct 21, 2005 00:03 am

Paige,

I still wake up wondering if he's "still breathing," because he hasn't peeped all night long, and Dylan is a year old.

When he first started sleeping through the night I kept going back and forth to check on him. You brought back some vivid memories!

I'll pray that this is her new routine!! And, that mommy can relax and enjoy a full night's rest!

paige_va

Postby paige_va » Thu Oct 20, 2005 08:58 pm

I'd like to jump in on this thread. I'm the mother Meredith, a 34 weeker, now 15 weeks (9 weeks adjusted). She's just about the most wonderful thing in the entire world, but nearly gave me a heart attack the other night, sleeping through the night for the first time! I had to run into her room to make sure she was still breathing!!! [:0] We'll see if it continues!

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:46 am

Frasiah,

That is awesome!! And way to go lil' man on the shot! Don't you just love with they flirt with the nurses?? Too cute!

Return to “After your baby is born .....”