Potty Training Woes

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
catherine
Forum Moderator

Re : Potty Training Woes

Postby catherine » Sun Nov 14, 637351 11:10 am

Truly a holy miracle guys.... she's even sleeping dry at night so I'm now in the post-diaper phase of parenting, a year before I expected!!

Denise, the panty issue..... tragically the american "spanky granny panty" trend carries all the way down to the 2T range. I'm not advocating baby thongs [:0] but the bloomers that go from armpit to knee are ridiculous. I'd snoop around on line and see if you can find anything manufactured in europe. Chloe is wearing 2-3 irish panties that I bought Lucy when we were home in Ireland last time. They are really nice (soft cotton) and appropriately sized. My mom thinks I'm weird because I always tell her to send the kids "knickers and socks" for birthdays and holidays. She's (Chloe) a dot, only 23 lbs soaking wet but these are working out fine. She can even get them back up by herself (hallelujah).

Edited to apologise for the stray pronoun... I love my mom but she ain't no dot [:p][}:)]!

tahoe4

Postby tahoe4 » Sun Nov 14, 637351 10:17 am

I think daycare was the key to my daughter's success with potty training, also. When she saw all of the other kids doing it, she wanted to join right in. I started sending her in panties and sending an extra pair with her and she has done so well, with the exception of #2. She still has accidents with #1 maybe once a week or even less than that, but I'm amazed at how quickly she learned. She still has #2 accidents often, because she refuses to go in her panties or in the potty. She has held off for 2 days before, but then on the second day it is quite the explosion[xx(]. I asked the daycare if I should still have her in diapers until she learns to go #2 in the potty and they said "nope!", because then she'll never learn.

mamc2003

Postby mamc2003 » Fri Jul 09, 637351 3:45 pm

Denise,

I really think sending Audrey to daycare was one of the main reasons she finally potty trained. I just sent a lot of extra clothes and undies and let them do the rest. They made sure she went at least every hour. If you don't want her wetting herself, you could just send her in pull-ups and tell them to still put her on the potty like they would for one in underwear. That way, even if she doesn't train, she will get into the habit of sitting on the potty. If she's really ready to train, the scheduling from daycare will really help.

And Catherine, WTG Chloe!!! I hope Avery is a lot easier to train than Audrey was(although, I'm sure we're still a long way off).

Mandy
Mom to:
Audrey (born 35 wks pre-e) 5 lbs 4 oz; Now three years old
Avery (born 35 wks pre-e) 5 lb 12 oz; Now over a year

denise

Postby denise » Thu Jul 08, 637351 11:25 pm

Way to go Cloe!!! That is great!

The problem I have right now is that we are camping this week, then she'll be at my parents Sat/Sun while we go to a dinner show, and then I start my new job on the 11th. Can I even attempt this just doing it on a weekend? I don't really want to send her to daycare in undies. Not to mention, I don't think I can find undies to fit her skinny hiney. I bought some 2T's and they are HUGE. We'll just keep plugging away.

Thanks ladies!

-------
Denise / Co-coordinator for WI
Jason (DH)
Ariana (DD) May 2003-just shy of 35 weeks: Class 1 HELLP
Trying for Baby #2

http://hometown.aol.com/oneyodafan/DeniseHomePage.htm

mom29

Postby mom29 » Mon Jun 28, 637351 9:23 pm

I think tearing the diaper off is a sign that Ariana will potty train soon. We got so frustrated a few months back when our 2 yo Sam was constantly taking his diaper off.
Running around in just the undies is good advice.

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Mon Jun 28, 637351 6:35 pm

Denise, you just never know, when they're ready... they're ready.

Chloe has been giving us exactly the same stuff... diaper off etc. Including hopping up onto her changing table, lying down and demanding a new diaper!!! Well, I've been ignoring these signals as much as I could but the free-ranging poopy butt made me realise that I had to go with the flow.

We started today...... one day after her 2nd birthday and we're batting about 1000!!!! She's gone 6/7 times by herself, panties up and down... by herself...... pooping in the potty voluntarily.... by herself...... I'm flabbergasted!!!!! Maybe this will come unstuck but I'm stunned and amazed. I've battled through the "flush fobic" kid, and "princess camel..... I'll hold it until my eyes bug and let me show you tsunami mommy!!" and this is coming way too easily.

Why not give it a try...... diaper off, flood the system with juice and see if she'll get the hang of it. Plenty of M&Ms on hand... bribes for her... and very sedating and mood smoothing for you.

Hang in there Denise, never doubt a kid's ability to surprise the living bejeezus out of you [;)]

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.

denise

Postby denise » Mon Jun 28, 637351 11:14 am

Well, I think this is a game for her at this point. I really don't think Ariana is ready for the potty yet. I did get her to sit yesterday for about 5 minutes, and will do it when she wants to sit, but I don't want to pressure her.
Thanks for all the advice, I'll keep track of this topic and bring it out when we get to the potty stage.

-------
Denise / Co-coordinator for WI
Jason (DH)
Ariana (DD) May 2003-just shy of 35 weeks: Class 1 HELLP
Trying for Baby #2

http://hometown.aol.com/oneyodafan/DeniseHomePage.htm

matts_mom

Postby matts_mom » Sun Jun 27, 637351 10:52 pm

matthew just starting taking off his diaper and, yup, it's usually when he has had a poop. we also have wood flooring so it's not a total disaster to clean up. i started using pins with disposable diaper but have found it's just as easy to keep him in shorts. he hasn't found out how to undress himself yet. i have just starting toying with the idea of buying a potty for him to start experimenting with as he will tell me when he is going to pee. he has done this twice this weekend, looked at me and said pee and then has done it. last night when i changed him, i took off the soiled diaper, he looked at me and said pee and i grabbed a handful of baby wipes to catch it. i have been wondering about starting the potty training as my sister's kids were potty trained by the time all three had hit 2 years old.

andrea(35)
dh reg(52)
matthew-born Feb 6, 2004, at 34 weeks due to hellp syndrome (4lbs 10 ounces)

cdingmama

Postby cdingmama » Wed Jun 16, 637351 5:41 pm

Sorry not much for advice. My youngest also takes off diapers. We use cloth and had some velcro diapers so we had to switch to only diapers with snaps. Luckily he can't get those off. I'm a little worried though. We are going on vacation and We have to use sposies. I am afraid he won't leave the diapers on and I'll have a huge mess.

Caleb never tried to take a diaper off. I finally let him go naked for a week. I put a blanket on the floor for him to sit on. For some reason this worked. If he had underwear on he would wet but without he would run to the potty.

She is really young she may just not be quite ready yet.

Michelle stay at home, cloth diapering Mom to:
Caleb 8/31/99 29 weeks 1 lb 7oz Severe PE emergency c-section
Luke 12/31/03 36 weeks 6 lbs PE c-section

meljoi

Postby meljoi » Tue Jun 15, 637351 6:55 pm

Peyton starting peeing in the potty at 2 yrs old....
never wet the bed-that was something he had total control over....
pooping, well...pooping we just got a handle on at 4 yrs old!
He did it when he was ready and sometimes we still have accidents.
I should state that the poor boy suffers (or suffered) from terrible constipation-even as an infant, so he will start to push before he even gets to the potty.....he has finally gotten to be able to recognize when it's going to be an easy one to get out and one that's not that easy......
we all know they won't go off to college in diapers......
It was a frustrating thing for me to deal with, as I was hand washing 5 pairs of underwear a day......
Good Luck Denise!

Melissa Joi 32
DH Jeremy 43
mama to Peyton John 12/04/00 (severe pre-e @ 38wks)
Lucy Isabelle born 11/16/04-normal, healthy pregnancy!
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/l/lucyisabelle/

Return to “After your baby is born .....”