Kindergarten

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
jamilyn

Re : Kindergarten

Postby jamilyn » Mon Apr 13, 2009 06:18 pm

I would check and see if you can go sit in on a class and see what it is they do, they may even let you bring your daughter for a little bit to see if she interacts well in the classroom setting. I was not premature but I did have a summer birthday and was at the younger side of my grade and it worked well. Every child will be different though. My son will turn 4 this april and I wish I could start him now hes been in a preschool since he was 1 1/2 and seems to be ready but I will keep him at his school till next school year so still a year to go! Still goes way to fast. I would def check out the school though and see what goes on day to day and decide if its something your daughter would be able to do at this point and you can always pull her out if she doesnt adjust.

hannahsmom

Postby hannahsmom » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:07 pm

We had the same issue with Hannah. She was supposed to be born at the end of November, but was born on August 24. The cutoff for kindergarten is September 1st. We decided to go ahead and put her in kindergarten, just to see what happened. She did have to repeat, but it was the best thing for her. She did great in her second year of kindergarten, and is at the top of her first grade class.

Best of luck to you on your decision, I know it's not an easy one!

christine lyn

Postby christine lyn » Thu Apr 09, 2009 09:19 pm

Hi Carissa,
My son was a 29 weeker at 1 lb. 9 oz. He's in his 2nd year of preschool and moves on to kindergarten in the fall. I am worried about him being ready since he'll only be 4...on the younger side. I've talked with his teacher recently and they can't keep him for a 3rd year of preschool but have him go through kindergarten and if he needs to then keep him back for another year of kindergarten. His teacher said some kids his age do well and some don't. My son does great in preschool now but I guess I'll wait and see next school year.

raetay

Postby raetay » Thu Apr 09, 2009 07:30 pm

We had a very similar choice with our son, who has a late May birthday. It's a long story, but he kept getting pushed through the system even though I didn't think he was ready. I wasn't so terribly worried about him academically as I was about his immaturity. But the teachers kept telling me that he was doing fine and he ought to go on. Well, we're nearing the end of his first grade year and guess what? His teacher has recommended - with my complete support - retention because of his immaturity. He's reading beyond a second grade level, other grades are acceptable as well. But he's just so young compared to his peers. He is also very small still (32 pounds) so it may give him a bit of time to catch up. I do know that girls with summer birthdays tend to do better than boys with summer birthdays. Boys really do need that extra time.
Anyway, I had a gut feeling that he wasn't ready. So, my advise would be to really pay attention to whatever your gut is saying. Something else to consider is that if you think she may need services, it may be a good idea to get her in the system and consider retention later if necessary since early intervention is the key to developmental problems.
It's such a tough choice, though. Good luck!

quincyf

Postby quincyf » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:13 am

And just to add...if DD's prematurity puts you into a special category, pursue it! I think an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) for your situation would be a wonderful tool to monitor your DD's progress and make further decisions later in the school year.

quincyf

Postby quincyf » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:09 am

This is such an interesting topic and one I have been thinking about. In our case the prematurity has not caused any learning disabilities (so far discovered) but she has always been a slow developer physically (partly due to personality...she didn't walk until 15 months, but when she did, she rarely fell down). Since she ended up with an August birthday, she started preschool (we have free preschool for all in Illinois...apparently the only good thing Blago ever did) shortly after her 3rd birthday. Now she has tested into a gifted kindergarten which will accelerate her academically but keep her with children her same age for social reasons. A true blessing for DD because of her size and emotional maturity we could never consider a grade skip...not to mention I don't want to lose her to college a year early...

All I can say is every parent deals with "asynchronous" development...but if you have a SN kid, you are more acutely aware of it...they do some stuff on time, but lag or exceed in other areas..this goes for delays, accelerations, or in our case, possibly both...

I thought the advice to start her and leave the decision to repeat for later was right on...you may find that she thrives in the classroom environment and her delays disappear. I also was grateful for the teacher's role in our daughter's daily life...for instance, trying new foods. Total struggle at home, but when they did a unit on Japanese food, DD decided she loved sushi and edamame...not what you think of when you consider reasons to go to school, but incredibly beneficial to have that third party reinforcing behaviors and lessons for your child...

Good luck! I bet DD would have a blast at school. Let us know what you decide...these experiences are so useful for others in your position...

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Wed Apr 08, 2009 03:47 pm

This was a difficult decision for me. I have two who were fall bdays, so they are/will be on the older side. AJ starts kindergarten this year and he will turn six in October. My youngest daughter was full term with a late May birthday. Academically, she was totally ready, but she was so quiet and shy in group situations. We did start her, and she made it through, but it was tough until towards the end of second grade. She is now in college and doing wonderfully, so we didn't scar her too much:)

I really think that emotional and social maturity are more important indicators of kindergarten readiness. Has she had any group or classroom experience? Daycare, preschool, ECFE, Sunday school? How does she do in those situations?

I wish you lots of luck in your decision. My youngest son is also a May birthday. I have my doubts he will be ready to start at five, but we shall see!

lilliputianmama

Postby lilliputianmama » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:33 am

That is fantastic!!!!

I would call the school district and see what they expect of kids entering kindergarten. My dd misses the cutoff by 19 days and I'm soooooo glad she has another year of developmental preschool. She is really smart but she just isn't ready for kindergarten, yet. They also have testing that they could do to see if she ready.

Good luck!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:12 am

A lot of them have trouble with things like flipping around the shapes of the letters or confusing lower-case b and lower-case d at the start of kindergarten.

Is there a kindergarten orientation or anything like that? Here the teachers take turns with the kids while the rest of them, the principal, and the school nurse talk to the parents, and they might be able to say more about her readiness if they'd met her...

chemmer

Postby chemmer » Wed Apr 08, 2009 09:53 am

Thank you that is a great Idea! I never thouht of that. I do not really think that she needs special services. she does have trouble with her letter / numbers but the school said that alone can not qualify her but since she was under 3lbs birth wight. that would be the qualifying factor. She has had a hard time since January when we had a stillbirth baby boy due to PE. She has been acting out mroe and not paying as much attnetion to things but I think that is the normal greiving behavior. I will talk to the school about Kindergarten rules! Thanks

Return to “Parents of Preemies”