Speech problem?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
mother bear

Re : Speech problem?

Postby mother bear » Sun Apr 05, 2009 07:15 pm

I've got a 3.2 year old preemie. We did speech therapy for 10 months. When we started, at 2 years old, she had three consonants, and 10 words/gesture combinations. She continued to very slowly make progress, up to 30 words at 2.75 years old (including all the variations on "da" based on intonation and context). And then... she started to talk in 6 word sentences within the span of two weeks. And a month later, she had a 20 word paragraph, spontaneous, not memorized.

She is still very hard to understand. Any double consonant combination, she will leave out entirely. So, "stop" becomes "op". "story" becomes "ory". "tree" becomes "ee". That's okay, in my book. She'll get there.

But if you are concerned, then definitely go see somebody. The worst that happens is they say no.

mommakk

Postby mommakk » Sun Apr 05, 2009 03:22 pm

Are,
I am a speech language pathologist in the states. It is obviously hard to determine speech issues byy email. Check www.asha.org, there is a locator service there. I would even go so far as to say call the headquarters for more ideas.

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:05 am

Are you near any of these universities in Taiwan?

http://www.speech-language-therapy.com/Asia.htm

I there an International School near you? They may have therapists - or know of one.

canuckmom

Postby canuckmom » Tue Mar 31, 2009 09:52 am

Hi - here's a link to a chart that shows the age range for sound acquisition http://secenter.net/secimages/SEC%20Speech_Sound2.pdf Hope it works.

As for her intelligibility (her ability to be understood by strangers) here's another link that may be useful to you. http://speech-language-therapy.com/intelligibility.htm

There are lots of sites discussing learning two languages which you can research. Here's one with a quick info: http://www.smalltalkinfo.ca/pdf/two-languages.pdf

Early intervention is best so perhaps there are some private English schools near you that may have an SLP on staff that you may be able to track down or try the ASHA (American Speech and Hearing Association) website for some help.

jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby jenn » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:00 am

Hi, I too have a former preemie that has been receiving speech from very early on and is still continuing today.
I see that your situation is rather complicated due to your location and how frustrating it must be. But I would still strongly recommend trying to find someone for therapy.
I do wish I could be of better assistance, but I'm not a speech therapist or any expert of any kind to say to what or what not in terms of consequences of not receiving therapy. Though coming from experience with a child that needed an extra edge...I very happy with the results of getting the help.
I wish you the best in finding a therapist that can be of some help to you and Nicole.
-Jenn

are

Postby are » Mon Mar 30, 2009 07:13 am

My other problem is finding an English speaking speech therapist here in Taiwan (we are expats here).

What would be the consequences if no intervention has been done?

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Fri Mar 27, 2009 07:59 am

My middle child wasn't a preemie however she did have significant language delays/concerns. Speech issues are tightly integrated with language problems later on - I didn't know that when my little one was ..umm..little (LOL). We are now having some challenges in school. Would it have been different if we had an early intervention? I don't know, maybe not - but I know that it wouldn't have hurt.

christine lyn

Postby christine lyn » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:35 pm

Hi my son was a preemie and he received speech therapy when he was 2 yrs. old and still does in preschool and he's 4 now.

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Tue Mar 24, 2009 08:16 am

I also have an almost 35 weeker who is receiving speech therapy. He will be three in May and has been receiving services for about 10 months. It has made a world of difference in his case. I believe that all states have some form of early intervention, either through your local school district or public health department.

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:59 pm

I often tell parents I speak to, "If you are already concerned then an evaluation can not hurt. You will either be reassured that there is not problem, or your child will receive some help to catch up."

Return to “Parents of Preemies”