Showering when you're by yourself with babies

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
hols537

Re : Showering when you're by yourself with babies

Postby hols537 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 01:47 pm

Bouncy here too for Alexander, portable swing for Jonathan. But, once they were napping in their cribs, I would jump in the shower as soon as they fell asleep. I always took the monitor with Alexander, but am more relaxed with Jonathan.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu Mar 12, 2009 01:09 pm

Heh, I did the bouncy chair thing too. He generally screamed the whole time but that was because I wasn't holding him, and I could *see* him, and I could take a two minute shower after a bout of night sweats (ewwwwwwwww.)

Can you fit two bouncy chairs in your bath? :-)

shelbys mom

Postby shelbys mom » Thu Mar 12, 2009 01:01 pm

I too did the same when Shelby was a baby, I talked to her the whole time I was in there!! if anyone would have heard me they would have thought I was nuts!!! Glad to see you and the boys are doing well.

babyemsmom

Postby babyemsmom » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:58 am

I also put Emerson in the bouncy chair and brought her in the bathroom with me. That way I could keep an eye on her and also relax and enjoy my shower too :)

You are not alone!

annes
Forum Moderator

Postby annes » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:32 am

I did the same thing that Amanda suggested, with Parker anyway, I have been a little more relaxed with Clover, but then again, I have her 5 year old brother around who can run in and get me if something is wrong (which has NEVER happened :)!) I think your concern is shared by many mommies with brand new babies at home, do you have a monitor you could bring into the bathroom? Good luck, being clean is overrated in my opinion ;)!

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:12 am

I always put mine in the bouncy, in the bathroom on the floor when I showered. I figured their vision wasn't too good from a distance anyway so I wasn't going to frighten them too much with a view of my body. LOL

darateacher

Showering when you're by yourself with babies

Postby darateacher » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:00 am

I want to take a shower so badly in the morning,and have switched to evenings because I don't want to leave my babies alone for too long.

I go to the bathroom without worry. Anyone else feel it is necessary to have an extra adult/responsible person in the house with you while you shower?

I've always felt uncomfy leaving kiddos alone for even a split second because ANYTHING can happen at ANY time. Am I right? My DH thinks I'm paranoid and that nobody else waits to take a shower they just do it as long as the kids are sleeping in their bassinets. What do you all do/think?

Return to “Parents of Preemies”