Showering when you're by yourself with babies

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
darateacher

Re : Showering when you're by yourself with babies

Postby darateacher » Sat Mar 14, 2009 06:11 pm

OMG, Jen, that's funny! :-) I'm sure DH and I will come across that situation more than once.

As for the bouncy chair in the bathroom...I can only fit myself into mine. Thinking about using the one upstairs, though. Btw, the humidity from the shower doesn't bother the babies? How do you hear them over the water?

jenanderson

Postby jenanderson » Fri Mar 13, 2009 04:07 pm

Oh I am so glad I am not the only one! I did the bouncy thing with Sydney!
We went to a boat show when Mason was maybe a month(probably less) and I had to pee, he needed to eat. I went in to the small little stall, sat on the pot, and peed while I BF him. I figure it was a win win situation (wiping and pulling up my jeans were another story, not to mention washing)! There was literally no where else to go besides the car which was probably a mile away (and neither of us were going to wait that long)!
I say you gotta do what you gotta do! If your not comfortable with it, then I promise you will find a way to make it work. I also promise the day you had those boys you got a new talent you didn't ever know you had (making it work with what you got).
Wait til you have to change one of them and your only option is for DH to sit on the toilet holding one of them while you manuever a quick change! (We did it last night at Cold Stone-they have no changing station or even a countertop-of course he had to poop and it was about a cm from a blowout!) Thank goodness there was a toilet seat that had a lid! Without a doubt you will find yourself in some sort of akward situation where you need to improvise on the diaper change deal!
You just have to remember there is always more than 1 way to get the job done!

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:07 am

I second the bouncy in/near the bathroom. Or wait for the morning nap, take the monitor into the bathroom so you can hear them and shower while the house is quiet.

It is truly amazing how much these tiny people can disrupt every part of out lives. Mine are 4 1/2 and 7 and I still appreciate when I can pee by myself.

onesock

Postby onesock » Thu Mar 12, 2009 09:14 pm

I put T in his car seat and put him in the bathroom with me...How about peeing while slinging AND nursing?!? HAHA. Many fun adventures ahead for you :)

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Thu Mar 12, 2009 09:01 pm

BTDT with the bouncy and the peeing in a sling in a public restroom. While were at Disney last month I wore Ali in a Mei Tai and peed with a 3 & 5 year old in the stall too. Talk about a crowd!! Ah the joys of multi-tasking motherhood!!

darateacher

Postby darateacher » Thu Mar 12, 2009 07:24 pm

LOL about peeing with Baby in a sling in a public stall! :-) Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one who felt it's not a good idea to leave them in their bassinets while showering. Thanks! I knew I couldn't be totally paranoid!

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Thu Mar 12, 2009 05:45 pm

hhehehe showered with them in the bouncy in the bathroom, and peed with them in the sling. Man, we women are multi-faceted, multi-talented, and efficient!

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Thu Mar 12, 2009 04:27 pm

quote:Originally posted by Fiona

wait til you start peeing with them still in a sling ;-)

Or with a one-year-old hanging off your chest in a baby bjorn while you pee in a public stall because they are *never* big enough for a stroller and if you've got to go ... well.

I've always just showered at night and rinsed my hair in the am. I enjoy showers too much to want to rush through them ;).

aundapenner

Postby aundapenner » Thu Mar 12, 2009 03:41 pm

Me me me ... I shower now when hubby is home and will probably continue to do the same. Before Sofia though, I was finally at a point I could shower in the morning - with Henry. It was the only way. The bouncy seat never worked for me - I couldn't handle hearing him cry.

And like Fiona said, peeing with them in a sling ... what an experience!!!

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Thu Mar 12, 2009 01:47 pm

wait til you start peeing with them still in a sling ;-)

Return to “Parents of Preemies”