Showering when you're by yourself with babies

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
momma1408

Re : Showering when you're by yourself with babies

Postby momma1408 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 06:46 pm

When I first brought my son home from the NICU i would wait until someone else was there with me to shower I was always afraid of me being in the shower and his apnea monitor going off or something. I also have done the bouncy seat thing when he actually liked it lol. Now he's 15 months old so I just take a shower while he is napping or while he is eating a bottle in his pack and play. My DH thought I was crazy too but they just don't get us Moms lol. I like all the other creative ideas you have all given. I will definitely remember them as Scott gets older and when we are out places. Good luck Dara with the showers I know its hard to leave them alone for just a sec even.

carjashaner

Postby carjashaner » Sat Mar 21, 2009 02:13 pm

I applaud your creativity too andrea! I have always left the baby in her crib when showering, though I think about her the whole time and rush to get done. I think we as moms all worry about stuff like that, especially when they are very young. I realized though that it's when they get older that you need to worry more, since they are so mobile. Hannah is still too small to climb out of a crib, so for now I still feel safe, and my bathroom is right beside her bedroom, so I too leave the door open. ;)

darateacher

Postby darateacher » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:41 am

Oh, that's great! Isn't it nice that others helped ya too? :-) We've already been offered help in carrying our kiddos in for a check up. the man said, "You've really got your hands full." My response was, "Always!" and the man laughed in an understanding way. Dan didn't want the help. Darn it!

dohertyab

Postby dohertyab » Mon Mar 16, 2009 04:18 pm

It's always fun with twins - one in a bouncy chair and the other in a swing worked for me for showering, sometimes would put the pack and play next to the bathroom and leave the door open with them lying down in it. I used the exersaucer when they got older. I must say that SOMETIMES I would take a shower when they were wailing - the shower water could drown out most of the noise. Maybe I was a risk taker, but I needed a break too from the chaos. They were always fine when I got out. Funniest story - nursing number 3 while peeing and making the twins (aged 4) stand outside the stall with the luggage and stroller singing so I knew they were still there, all while at an airport by myself. Came out to find 2 ladies clapping at my creativity and they they helped me for the rest of the trip. Aren't we all wonderful?

jenanderson

Postby jenanderson » Mon Mar 16, 2009 02:37 am

How's the shower situation? I hope your finding a way that will work for you! Glad your home with your boys and getting the time to figure out all the fun details!

jacobkaden

Postby jacobkaden » Sun Mar 15, 2009 01:48 pm

We wait for Jacob to nap and then put him on the monitor. It hasn't ever been a problem. Good luck!

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:02 am

Dara- Car seats work great also. And, when mine were really little I put them out in the hallway, outside the bathroom door and showered with the door open. I am a "very" hot shower person and the bathroom is a sauna when I am done! The car seat was nice because I could strap them in and knew there was no way they could wiggle out. But, I do have to admit, once they were 6 weeks or so, I left them in their crib when I showered. Once they were fed, changed and sleeping. And as far as "what if they cry?"- as long as they are in a safe place-crib, strapped in a seat.....so be it. I promise you, my girls cried for me more than once during infancy, and really, they haven't needed any extensive therepy as adults:) You are going to have so many fun adventures with your two little men!!

darateacher

Postby darateacher » Sat Mar 14, 2009 09:08 pm

So, we can hear them over the water running? That's good to know. Thanks! :-) I only bought one bouncy seat. Better get another one. Silly me! I thought they could share! :-)

sheri-ct
Forum Moderator

Postby sheri-ct » Sat Mar 14, 2009 07:10 pm

I used to put them in their bouncy seats and bring them in the bathroom with me. Then I could hear and see them.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Mar 14, 2009 06:26 pm

Mine was loud enough that it wasn't a problem to hear him, and I lived in Phoenix, so humidity wasn't a problem either. I don't imagine it would really be a problem for any baby, though, because humidity rates vary worldwide but there are babies in both the Sonoran desert and in Seattle.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”