Adam's bath

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
darateacher

Re : Adam's bath

Postby darateacher » Thu Mar 12, 2009 09:50 am

Thanks, everyone! Whew! Just gas is a good thing. The tub we bought is called the "4 Moms" tub. Comes with a temp gauge and a way to filter out dirty water and keep the incoming water clean.

Both boys are over 5 pounds now, so I'm not sure the pink tubs would work...could give it a try, though. Thanks!

sheri-ct
Forum Moderator

Postby sheri-ct » Wed Mar 11, 2009 06:51 pm

Dara,

I hated bath time when they were first home. Bathing TWO tiny babies is soooooo stressful. My DH and I would get so stress out. You will get used to it and they will start to enjoy it. We found that the little pink tubs they give you in the hospital worked best until they got a little bigger.

Sheri

hols537

Postby hols537 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 04:12 pm

Alexander was just a "bath hater" until he was about 5 months old. They have opinions and some don't hesitate to share them :)

I put a towel right down in the baby tub and use that for some traction. I don't move the baby around too much (just to reach his backside and get out). You might find that small washcloths will help you get a better grip too. I hate bathing little ones, so we only do/did about 2 times per week while they aren't doing much to get dirty.

Keep up the good work! (Oh, and it probably was just gas...if they get all worked up, they tend to swallow air and get gassy.)

patty

Postby patty » Wed Mar 11, 2009 03:52 pm

You are doing a great job. I hated the baby bathtubs. When they are newborns we would just let them bath with one of us and the other one get them out of the tub. That system worked really well for us.

onesock

Postby onesock » Wed Mar 11, 2009 01:04 pm

Sounds like you are doing a great job! Preemies are fighters..sounds like that is kicking in :) Would love to see some pictures of these boys!

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:09 am

The other thing to remember Dara, is that babies don't have to be bathed every day - really they don't.

I was freaked out bathing Jay when he was tiny, it was winter, he was slippery - and he didn't like it that much. We didn't do a daily bath until he was crawling and actually getting dirty.

Sacha loved his bath, it really helped settle him - so he did have a daily bath. Sometimes he had more than one - because it was the only thing that would make him happy ;-)

All babies are different. And there may be many books on how to look after them, but there are also many right answers.

ladybug76135

Postby ladybug76135 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:36 am

The NICU taught me this: wrap the baby in an inexpensive/thin terry cloth towel and slip them into the baby bath tub in that. Move it around as you need to wash various parts but keep majority of it wrapped around them as you work. They don't slip around as much and they feel more secure bundled up. It's not like they need that much scrubbing. When you're ready to rinse, have a 2nd set of hands ready with a clean towel, scoop the baby up and just do the wet baby pass off!

You're doing great! I can't imagine having 2 home. It must be overwhelming.

jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby jenn » Wed Mar 11, 2009 09:11 am

Dara, Amanda couldn't have said it better.
I'd like to add an idea for ya'... if Adam doesn't have a latex allergy - perhaps putting on an inexpensive pair of latex gloves could give you a better grip on the slippery lil' guy.
Just an idea.
I send my love and hugs, hang in there mama :o)
Jenn

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Wed Mar 11, 2009 06:32 am

No, I don't think you hurt him - I think he might have a bit of a temper coming though! LOL
It's so much fun to see their little personalities start to come out - Adam 'sounds' like he might be more apt to 'tell you how it is' while Noah 'sounds' like he might be a 'little more laid back'. You'll continue to be amazed at how two babies who have the same of most everything will be so TOTALLY different!

Dara, you are a great mommy and you only want what is best for the boys. I remember being scared while caring for my little ones but honestly, you are doing great. I hope that what I said made sense - I do understand sometimes we ALL don't have a lot of trust in ourselves however I have trust in you and know that you will do the best you can do at all times - give yourself some credit mom - it's hard work having twins!

Thinking of you. :)

darateacher

Adam's bath

Postby darateacher » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:12 pm

I gave Adam and Noah their first real bath tonight. I had trouble with Adam because he was slipping out of my hands a lot, and we were over the kitchen sink in a baby bath tub that hooks up to the sink.

Anyway, worried...as usual...'cuz when I got him out of the tub he was okay. Tears subsided. Then, when I was holding him afterwards, all ready for bed...jammies, swaddle-me and blanket...he was arching his back amidst the relaxation and crying a bit. Then, he'd stop, and then do it again. That would be gas, right? I didn't hurt him, right? I'm so petrified to do anything new with the boys. I guess I don't trust myself.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”