maintainence of body temps--Adam UPDATE 2-25-09

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
aggie95mom

Re : maintainence of body temps--Adam UPDATE 2-25-09

Postby aggie95mom » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:01 am

Hi Dara,

I've been away for a while, but was so happy to see your news that both boys are home! Many happy congrats!!! When my 26 weeker came home at 37 weeks, he was 5 lb 5 oz and we kept him bundled with the house temp around 78ish like others have mentioned for MONTHS. It was fall/winter for us and we were honestly wearing shorts inside while there was snow outside. Like Sabrina said, we sucked up the high energy bills as it was the best way to keep Jacob's temp correct. I seem to recall that we didn't lower the thermostat until the end of the winter and he was around 12/13 pounds by that point.

With my new FT baby who was born 5 lb 11 oz and also came home at 5 lb 5 oz, we had to keep him bundled for about two months, but he also came home in July so it was obviously a lot warmer then, cheaper too since it meant we didn't turn the a/c on too much.

All the best!!

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:02 pm

We are doing as Amanda said. Our house is being kept at 77-78 (normal is 68-70). Cate is dressed in a onesie and warm fleece sleepers plus several blankets and a hat. Her temp at the peds today was 96.5. That was naked and wrapped in a blanket. I figure the higher gas bills are worth it.

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Wed Feb 25, 2009 09:15 pm

Dara, not much advise here. My youngest son was just under 35 weeks and came home at over 5 lbs. They never even mentioned watching his temps. I guess it was summer..... but my guess would be that once he is just a little bigger, it won't be an issue you need to worry too much about. But, just like every other baby, he will find something else to throw at you:)

I am so happy for you that he is home and healthy and his brother will be there tomorrow. You will be one busy momma!

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Wed Feb 25, 2009 01:51 pm

Dara,

Yeah for having him home and his brother to follow tomorrow!!!

I too agree with the idea that wearing him will help him regulate his temps. Although I know that once they are both home you will not always be able to wear them all the time.

Hopefully the layers and the extra warm room temp will help.

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:29 am

You could also try one of those electric baseboard heaters with an internal thermostat from Lowes (my hubby just said that he does hvac) make sure it's 120 volt so u can plug into an outlet, he thinks they are under $100. Wouldn't do a space heater because they can cause fires, and draw alot of power, but these baseboard heaters just heat a room and mount to a wall. Also you could do an Edenpure if you wnat to spend a little more. Depending on where you live, you might use these for a long time....................

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:26 am

Oh yaeha nd I 2nd the layers, kade was really cold the first couple weeks, but I used those sleep sacks without sleeves, with long sleeved PJ underneath, they were AMAZING! Just make sure he doens't get too hoteeither. carters makes the sack, and alot of others too. they are AMAZING

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:17 am

OMG Dara you have a BABY HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited to hear that DARA BROUGHT HOME A BABY FINALLY WOOOHOOOO! I'll have a margarita 2day for you after my dr. appt! =) =)

onesock

Postby onesock » Wed Feb 25, 2009 08:47 am

That was what kept Tam in the NICU so long was his ability to keep his temps up (and eating too). Sounds like you are doing the right things to keep him warm. How long was he in an open bed (no warmer) in the NICU? He is still adjusting to home :) One thing our pedi told us to look for was mottling (sp?) on Tam..kind of a lacy purple appearance to his skin...he said that was a good indicator he was cold..how are you taking his temp? I can't beleive they will both be home!! How exciting :)

hols537

Postby hols537 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 08:18 am

We kept the house warm when Alexander came home too. He was usually wearing socks, a sleeper, in a swaddle blanket with a light blanket over his bottom half and a hat. We also did lots of cuddling :)

Congrats on Noah coming home! I'm sure it will be so wonderful having them both home with you!

mikeys mom

Postby mikeys mom » Wed Feb 25, 2009 08:11 am

I also had this with Mikey. WE did multiple light layers and always put socks underneat the onesie and a hat on his head... Even today (6 years later) he runs a 97.1 temp most of the time.... Guess I am glad that they let him out of the nicu when they did or it would have been a long 6 years :)

Return to “Parents of Preemies”