Weight Gain for Preemies?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
momma1408

Re : Weight Gain for Preemies?

Postby momma1408 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 09:35 pm

My son also started slowing down his weight gain i think at about 6 months probably. He went from gaining a pound a month to half a pound a month. After that he ran into some problems but now he is 14 months old and weighs 15 pounds. I think he's somewhere around 26 inches maybe 27 not quite sure. My pediatrician did tell us that it is normal to slow down in weight gain but of course they always want preemies to gain as much as possible to help them catch up. Good luck and I hope I helped a little. Your baby will do whatever is right for her. Take care

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:52 am

Does your peds office show you her growth chart while you are there? They should be plotting her height and weight on a chart that tells them what percentile she is in for her height and weight. As long as she is staying on a relatively steady growth curve then, she is fine.

The other indicator that I use for myself is clothing sizes. Since they run 0-3, 3-6, 6-9, I figure that they should be outgrowing their clothing about every three months (give or take a month or so). If it has been 5 or 6 months and you are still putting her in the same clothes then maybe you should ask your doctor about it.

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:15 am

Weight gain does slow as babies get older and more active. (A very frustrating fact for preemie moms to accept.) Her weight gain may very well be fine for her - but momma often knows when soemthing is amiss.

It may be worth discussing the vomitting with the ped. again. The cereal in the bottle and tummy sleeping are often treatments for reflux. As well maybe just let the ped. know how much she's eating - bottles plus solids to see if she is getting enough calories.

mommy2maddie

Postby mommy2maddie » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:44 am

When we first brought her home she was throwing up all the time, and sometimes she couldnt breathe, scared the heck out of me! One doctor said she had reflux and gave her medicine, well then I swithched doctors and he told us to stop giving her the medicine, put cereal in her bottle and feed her less often but more at a time and put her to sleep on her stomach and it worked. So I dont know if she technically has reflux or not.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:33 pm

10" is a lot given she's only 8 months old. My dd was also somewhere around 15lbs at 12 months old. She's now 3 years old is only 10 inches taller than your 8 month old. :-) Like Jenn said, it's hard to compare.

It never hurts to call the doctor if you're worried, but her weight and length seem good. The throwing up issue might be something to ask about though. Does she have reflux?

mommy2maddie

Postby mommy2maddie » Wed Feb 18, 2009 04:24 pm

No, they did not measure her but everytime they have at the doc. they say she is short, at her last appt in december at 6 months old, 4 months adjusted she was 24 inches that is only 10 inches more than her birth length, come to think about it, that worries me too lol. I worry too much, but shes my first, cant you tell?

jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby jenn » Wed Feb 18, 2009 03:57 pm

Alissa,
Like snowflakes all kids are different. Especially when it comes to weight. From what your explaining it sounds like Maddie is doing very well for age. My former preemie weighed about 16 lbs when she turned 1. See how hard it is to compare?
What's really important is having her growth monitored by your physician so any major gains or losses are tracked.
I'm willing to bet that Maddie's vomiting issue may have played a role in her weight drop. Not to mention infants go through so many growth spurts. I found that when my daughter Jaidyn was growing taller - her weigh dwindled a bit. Did they happen to measure Maddie at this last appt??

I'll also add, never second guess putting in a call the dr. and to address any concerns like how much she should be eating or her growth. You her mommy and nobody knows her best. :o)

- Jenn

hols537

Postby hols537 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 03:51 pm

I think it's normal for weight gain to slow down, but obviously, I can't say what's normal/healthy for your baby. You can probably call the pediatrician's office and ask for a weight check (our office lets us do that at any time).

mommy2maddie

Weight Gain for Preemies?

Postby mommy2maddie » Wed Feb 18, 2009 03:32 pm

At what age did your baby stop gaining so much weight? My daughter is 8 months old actual, 6 months adjusted and she was gaining alot of weight in the beginning, and when she hit about 6 months old she started gaining only about a pound a month. The nurse just came to give her synagis shot to her today and she weighs 15lbs. Last month they weighed her on the same scale she weighed 14lbs. 14 1/2 oz. She only eats about 3 times a day, if I try to feed her more she throws up. Also when she first started baby food last month she had a vomitting issue that lasted about two weeks, but it is better now. Should I be concerned? Should I take her to the doctor? Should she be eating more?

Return to “Parents of Preemies”