Flu shots!

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
christine lyn

Re : Flu shots!

Postby christine lyn » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:47 pm

Thank you every one for your inport. I did take my son for his yearly check up and he did get the flu shot along with 4 others for kindergarden. I almost cry every time he has to get a shot, it just pains me to see him in pain. I question every thing but to enter school he needs to be up on all the shots, correct?

mkvh

Postby mkvh » Thu Dec 11, 2008 09:33 am

quote:Originally posted by fancy19

Our doc wants to give our 7month old one, we have to give her egg yolk first though.

We did not have to give our DD egg first. Instead, our ped has you wait in the office for a specified period of time after the flu vax--they set a timer--and checks the baby for a reaction. I found this comforting because, at the time, our 8 month old DD was showing some food intolerances, and I feared an egg sensitivity. (She was fine.) Most peds now are encouraging waiting until after a year for eggs, so I find it a little strange that your ped is having you introduce them to check before the flu shot. Plus, most food allergies don't surface until subsequent exposures to the food--the allergen must be introduced to the baby's system first for the allergic response to trigger with subsequent exposures.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Dec 10, 2008 07:22 pm

Not that I know of.

haileysmom

Postby haileysmom » Wed Dec 10, 2008 06:50 pm

I read somewhere that boys have a harder time filtering out the toxins in vaccines because testosterone makes the process slower. I'm not sure if there is any truth to that or not......

fancy19

Postby fancy19 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 03:45 pm

On a side note, the childrens hospital in my city are conducting a study right now on flu vaccines that don't have preservatives in them.

vaccinesexposed

Postby vaccinesexposed » Wed Dec 10, 2008 03:40 pm

That's o.k. Fiona. I'll just retype some of it. My family is prone to severe vaccine reactions - which is why I don't buy the 1 in a million are affected (which doctors claim anyways). My baby is in recovery right now from his vaccine injuries. I am taking him to a medical doctor (MD) who only treats vaccine injured children (Hannah Poling is a perfect example of a child not able to tolerate the vaccines due to genetic defects and there was not mercury in her MMR which was the final straw for her). Like Hannah Poling, for whatever reason, my family is also not capable of detoxing viruses and chemicals properly and cannot handle what is in the vaccines. Unfortunately, there is no "screening process" to detect the Hannah Polings of this world either.

My only advice to everyone is to read the vaccine package insert that is in the box with the vaccine. Do not read the bogus vaccine information statement that the doctor gives you. A lot of important info is missing and doctors do not read the package inserts.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Wed Dec 10, 2008 03:38 pm

Fancy,
Because the flu vaccine is incubated in eggs, they want to make sure the kiddo's are not first allergic to eggs before they administer the shot. Typically egg allergies are mild at the first introduction. You'll want to watch for hives, wheeziness, rash, or diarrhea. If he does well, you'll probably get the go ahead for the vaccine. As mom to a preemie, we were first in line to get the flu shot her first winter after the nicu, and every year since. Our whole family gets one.

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Wed Dec 10, 2008 02:55 pm

I have to apologize Dawn - I meant to quote your post to point out I was referring specifically to the risk associated with Guillan Barre syndrome - being used in the media to engender panic, IMO.

And hit the edit button instead of the quote option and deleted the rest of your response. I am so sorry - I shall not try and respond in such a hurry next time.

fancy19

Postby fancy19 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 02:49 pm

Our doc wants to give our 7month old one, we have to give her egg yolk first though.

vaccinesexposed

Postby vaccinesexposed » Wed Dec 10, 2008 02:43 pm

I have to politely disagree with the vaccine risks being 1 in a million

Return to “Parents of Preemies”