Need info for Premmie on Vent

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
annes
Forum Moderator

Re : Need info for Premmie on Vent

Postby annes » Tue Jun 07, 637031 12:21 am

GREAT NEWS[8D]! I bet you cannot wait to have him all to yourselves at home! My Parker put on a pound in one week of being home, and has continued to thrive. Hope he's home with you in less than a week!

Anne
DH Richard
Parker 7/6/03(severe pe)33wks

sandy

Postby sandy » Sat May 28, 637031 4:37 am

How exciting!!!!!!!!

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks/1 day June '03 due to Severe PE/class III HELLP

Risk factors: HBP/asthma/high cholesterol

currently TTC for #2

worriedhubby20

Postby worriedhubby20 » Sat May 28, 637031 2:03 am

Today Parker received his 2 month immunizations and had his predischarge hearing and eye exam. Passed them with flying colors. He was feeling quite moody due to the shots, but still managed to take all of his feeds well. He is continuing to maintain his temp while in the crib, and is putting on the weight. He will probably be near 4.5 - 4.6 lbs. by the time I get there tonight. I think he will be coming home Friday or Saturday, still unsure about the exacts, but now that the time is near and I can see it, I feel energized. More updates soon!

Rob, father of Parker, 30 weeks, 1 lb. 14 oz.

angelical

Postby angelical » Sat May 28, 637031 1:00 am

That is wonderful news! Hearing your story brings back so many memories.

As for the turn to the hospital, we drove past ours this weekend, and it seemed strange (after 2 years!) to go on past!

------------------------
Sharel O'Connell
Local coordinator for Pittsburgh area
'Parents of Preemies' co-moderator
Survivor of Preeclampsia, HELLP Syndome, & preemie parenting
Future adoptive mom

Aaron (28 weeker, 5/2/02) -- my tiny guy is TWO!
Kevin - DH

mom2gigi

Postby mom2gigi » Thu May 26, 637031 7:34 pm

Praise God! That's awesome! I sure hope your next post says "He's coming home!" These little ones sure are warriors and they amaze me.

Praying for you guys!

Adriana

Giselle - born @ 35wks, from severe preeclampsia by emergency c-section.

celticepona

Postby celticepona » Thu May 26, 637031 3:50 pm

Congratulations! That is excellent news! I am glad to hear Parker is doing so well!!!! Keep us updated and let us know when the big day is! I am so happy for you guys![:D]

ps...just saw your new pics...he is getting so big and strong! He looks great! Pretty soon he will be the size of my munchy-kin when she was born...5lbs 15oz...he looks awesome!

DD Emily born 4-01-04 at 37 weeks due to severe PE/Eclampsia. Currently postpartum. preeclampsic/hyperreflexic. On medication.

sarab
Site Admin

Postby sarab » Mon May 16, 637031 5:23 am

Rob--

What wonderful news!! I am so glad that you had such a great weekend! I remember the day that Maggie was moved into an open crib -- I was seriously dancing a jig right there in the NICU (not a pretty sight...). For some reason, that was the most exciting milestone for us (except when she got to come home, of course!). Parker is doing so well -- he will be home before you know it!!

About the pumping thing, I also gave it up. I pumped for about 14 weeks, and it was exhausting. I never got much milk, so I was pumping every two hours for twenty minutes (even at night) trying to increase my supply. That, coupled with actually feeding and tending to Maggie, meant that I only got 1-2 hours of sleep at a time. Looking back I don't know how I did it...

As for formula, we buy ours at Costco, so it is a little less expensive. I think we are lucky in the sense that Maggie eats and can tolerate whatever brand we give her, so we can go as cheaply as possible!

Once again, I'm so excited that Parker is doing so well! You've got yourself quite the little fighter there -- give him a hug from all of us.

Sara, 23
Local Coordinator, Utah

DH, Scott, 26
Maggie Lylas, 6/9/03, 29 weeks, severe pre-e
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/maggielylas/

worriedhubby20

Postby worriedhubby20 » Mon May 16, 637031 3:31 am

What a weekend! I got nearly nothing accomplished, but I did spend alot of time with Mr. Parker at the hospital. He tried the breastmilk again, but didn't seem to like it at all! He lost some weight as a result, but after telling the nurses we would like for him to be back on formula, he quickly put it back on. He is now getting bottle fed at every feed, no tube!![:D] He is doing great with the bottle. The nurses say that when they last tried tube feeding he got really fussy!! I think he knows that taking the bottle means he gets to be held.

And now for the news that everyone has been waiting for. While I was feeding him this morning at 11:00, the doc came up to talk with me about his progress. Sometimes I think they look only at the charts. He said that he was going to write the order for bottle feeding only, not knowing that he has been getting a bottle for the last 2 1/2 days. He also said that he was writing an order to ween him from the isolete, but there to, he has been with the power off for the last 48 hours. But the best news, he is ordering the predischarge tests to be accomplished in hopes of letting Parker come home within a week.[:D] I almost lost it when he said that. As I put Parker back in his bed and tucked him in, the good doc turned to me and said, "he's been here for quite a while?". I was like, "REALLY?". My truck makes the turn towards the hospital on its own, its been sooooo long. Keep your fingers crossed that all goes well and he makes it home before next week starts. I've updated his pics on his web page. They are the last 16 photos. If you look at all of them, there is a dramatic change from begining until now. My wife finally gave up the info about why she was stopping with the pumping, her doc put her back on medication for her type II diabetes and recommended not continuing with feeding Parker. They are now feeding him Similac special care 24. I still hope to use the milk she pumped to mix with his cereal or something. I hope that all had a wonderful and safe Memorial Day. Mine was one that I will never forget. More updates to come.

Rob, father of Parker, 30 weeks, 1 lb. 14 oz.

angelical

Postby angelical » Tue Feb 24, 637029 3:08 am

I too had to give up on pumping. I did pump the whole time aaron was in the NICU and for a while after he came home (10 weeks total), but with my fulltime work schedule and caring for Aaron, there just wasn't enough hours in the day! (Aaron never did learn to nurse.) If she just got a little bit early on, then at least he got the colustrum, which is the most important. But really, the babies do very well on formula too. Aaron was always healthy and strong, even w/o the milk.

One note about the formula... We ended up using Gentle Moments, it is a brand only sold at Walmart. It seemed to really agree w/Aaron (we tried Similac, isomil, etc and Parents Choice). It is about $2 more per can than PC.

Also, if it turns out that Parker develops reflux (common baby & preemie issue), it is easy to mix cereal w/formula. (We added cereal to his bottles from 2 weeks before his due date until he was one.)

Take care!
Sharel

------------------------
Sharel O'Connell
Local coordinator for Pittsburgh area
'Parents of Preemies' co-moderator
Survivor of Preeclampsia, HELLP Syndome, & preemie parenting
Future adoptive mom

Aaron (28 weeker, 5/2/02) -- my tiny guy is TWO!
Kevin - DH

momathelete

Postby momathelete » Fri Feb 13, 637029 3:10 pm

Rob,

I love to hear the updates of Parker. I am sorry that your wife felt like she had to give up pumping. I did it for 6 weeks and it was excrutiating and the result was not much. I feel for her. I bet it was a very hard decision for her to make. It was hard for me to when I decided to stop. Give her lots of hugs as I am sure you have been doing. I hope you have a wonderful Memorial Day and I look forward to hear the latest weight check on that cutie pie is!!!

Michelle
Moderator -On Bedrest
Interim Local Coordinator -Illinois

mom to Cole (HELP pregnancy, 28 wkr) 5 yrs old
Lainey (preE pregnancy, 29 wkr) 2 yrs old
Ella (PIH, 37 wkr) 8 mns

Return to “Parents of Preemies”