Childhood headaches

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
missgamecock

Re : Childhood headaches

Postby missgamecock » Wed Apr 16, 2008 01:16 pm

My 9 year old daughter gets migraines. I was shocked when the first one occured when she was 7. We ended up in the ER and they said she had an ear infection. We followed up with my pcp and she said she had a migraine and there was no ear infection. The "standard" treatment is a 4 teaspoon dose of motrin followed by regular doses every 6 hours. Kirsten has gotten some since then. Our dr told us a little while ago that I needed to keep an eye on it. If she gets another one, she wanted me to call and was going to send her to a neurologist. Just because she is coming up on puberty soon. She wanted to make sure we ruled everything out.

mayasmom

Postby mayasmom » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:49 am

The headaches lasted about 3 months. It started at the beginning of the school year, which is what made me think it was a problem at a school. They did interfere with daily routines. The headaches were occurring at least once a week and on those days she did not want to do anything. She missed a lot of school during that time and she cried all the time.

The diary sounds like a good plan.

frasiah
Forum Moderator

Postby frasiah » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:12 am

The vision test went well but they did mention migranes. However, they want me to keep a diary of the circumstances surrounding a headache should she continue to have them. E.g. Activity she was engaged in, if she was eating, etc. She said that from my description it sounded like a migraine but it is best to have more info before medicating and I agree. There is also the possibility that it could be induced by allergies. Anyway, should she get any more headaches, I am to keep the diary and let the doctor know. I think it is a good plan.
Thank you all for your answers and concern.

Wendy, how long did the headaches last? i.e from when she first complained to when she stopped having them? Did they interfere with her daily routine?

mayasmom

Postby mayasmom » Tue Apr 15, 2008 02:44 pm

My 8 year old was diagnosed with migraines last year. It started out with headaches in the morning before school. At first I thought she didn't want to go to school, but she was making good grades and her teacher said she was very sociable and got along with everyone. I would get calls from her school at least once a week that she had a headache and when I would pick her up she looked completely worn out. After she slept for at least 2 hours she felt better. We had her vision checked and it was okay. So we went to our pediatrician who gave us a sample of a migraine medication that is also used for allergies, I forget the name of it. She seemed to do better after taking this medication, but the pediatrician wanted her to see a neurologist just to be safe. The neurologist, after talking to her for 5 minutes, said she definitely had migraines and he put her through all kinds of testing including an MRI, which was traumatic for Maya. The tests didn't show anything so I don't know how he was sure it was migraines. Then he put her on Topomax and it made her drowsy and didn't seem to help.

The headaches eventually went away. But I think it may have been allergies since the migraine/allergy medicine helped her. If I had it to do over again I would put her through allergy testing before seeing the neurologist. I wish you luck.

rebeccac

Postby rebeccac » Tue Apr 15, 2008 01:54 pm

Hope the eye exam goes/went well!

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Tue Apr 15, 2008 01:31 pm

Hate to say it, but she could be prone to migranes. I have heard of people having them early in childhood and going all their lives, though usually, woman say the migraines start at puburty, but before that is not unheard of.

What your describing does sound more like a migraine (frequency and length) if you get all the other possibilities ruled out.

dohertyab

Postby dohertyab » Tue Apr 15, 2008 09:37 am

Is there something going on at school? The twins get headaches and stomachaches when they get nervous. Starting school can be very stressful for some kids. As the end of school nears mine have an end of year performance which already has them worried. Rowan is off school today because she's been feeling odd this week - no fever, but not feeling great. I think she just needed a break and some down time. Definitely get things checked out, but it could be stress too.

frasiah
Forum Moderator

Postby frasiah » Fri Apr 11, 2008 04:09 pm

Well, the ped's office just called me and they would like to start by rulling out any vision problems. So we have an appt for next Tuesday afternoon.

frasiah
Forum Moderator

Postby frasiah » Fri Apr 11, 2008 03:36 pm

Thank you ladies... I have put a call to the doctor - waiting on them to call me back.
She is doing okay this afternoon and has not complained about anything. She did have mild ROP which had resolved by one year. I will definetely ask the doctor about her vision.

She picks at her food whenever she has a headache but the last two times the headache (or complaints of the same) have persisted afterwards till bedtime. I would not be surprised if changing weather systems has something to do with it... she does get allergies during spring and it is not uncommon for those to be accompanied by headaches in adults.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Fri Apr 11, 2008 01:55 pm

I'd put in a call to the pedi, but the eye check thing is a good idea too. Poor thing. Let us know how she's doing.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”