Preemie Check-in

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
kelly1972

Re : Preemie Check-in

Postby kelly1972 » Tue Jul 16, 638289 4:19 am

Love this thread![:D]

Nicole 27 1/2 weeker 2lbs 3ozs 14 1/2 in. Now 18 mths (on Sunday) 15 mths corrected.
Cruises everywhere not walking yet but,took 6 steps on her own yesterday and stands by herself. Nicole is what I call a "busy baby" she is tiring and is constantly on the go. She wants my attention all the time and is very shy and really enjoys watching people and other kids. Nicole has a vocab of 11 words which is great and is doing wonderful according to her IE therapist. Nicole LOVES books and likes dance and enjoys music. She is starting to show signs of independence and wants to try to do everything on her own. Nicole has finally mastered the sippy cup and loves to eat. She's a bottomless pit. lol. But, you would never know because she's skinny as a rake and is still wearing 12 mth pants. lol.Go figure. Now Nicole around 22 or so pounds and we have finally turned her carseat around. Yeahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She's tall at about 31 inches. It's wonderful to see how everyone's preemies are doing!

joannek

Postby joannek » Mon Jul 15, 638289 10:05 pm

Sara was a 31 weeker and a day. Born by c-section due to the fact that my liver enzymes were becoming elevated. That was the deciding factor.

She was 3# 5oz (1502 gms) when born, 15.75 inches. You know how when you read about preemies and it seems that every big scary problem "most usually happens to those born under 1500 grams and 32 weeks". I hated reading all that stuff, it made me scared for the worst about every thing. But thankfully she escaped the NICU without any major problems.

Anyways, after 52 days in the hospital, she finally came home on January 3rd, apnea monitor in tow. Luckily it has never made any noises other than loose lead alarms.

As of today she is almost 4 months birth age, (2 months adjusted). And she weighs a whopping 9lbs 3 oz! I remember when we were in the NICU my husband and I would look around at all the big babies that were in there laying on their backs with thier chubby little legs, wondering if our baby would ever look like that. Well she does! Hooray

sckitzo

Postby sckitzo » Mon Jul 15, 638289 11:57 am

Brianna is now 3 years old and is 23 pounds and 34-35 inches tall. She was a 33 weeker at 3 pounds 3 ounces, and 14 1/2 inches. She is now getting hand me downs from you almost 2 year old friend. She is tiny, and is about a head shorter then most her age. But I was to, I am only 5'2 on a good day. So we think it is genetics. She is a little mommy, and is a girly girl. I was always a tomboy, and never played with doll's so I don't know where she gets it from. Last night, we watched a 1.5 year old, and all night she was picking up after him, and telling him to keep things out of his mouth, making sure he had enough milk to drink. She is very particular and organized. She know her numbers, ABC's, she is learing the states know. She could care less about drawing, or writing, but maybe in time. The only health issues have been tubes in the ears, Tonsils and adnoids out, and some speech theorpy from having to many ear infections. And of course trying to put some weight on her. She actually lost a pound the last 6 months.

bellemama

Postby bellemama » Mon Jul 15, 638289 11:03 am

Jake, my 30w born at 2 lbs 10 oz and 14.5 inches, was about 30 lbs and 36 inches at his three-year check up. He was 25 pounds, 10 ounces and 32 and 3/4 inches tall at his two-year appt., and 19 pounds, 10 ounces, and 28 inches at one year. Not bad for a baby who had a double lung hemmorhage, spent over a week on the highest settings of the jet vent, and was not supposed to make it!

We've been so lucky, he's always hit all of his milestones right on time for his adjusted age, and many for his gestational age. He's very verbal; as Jake's ped says, he talks in paragraphs, not sentences! He loves music; he has two real guitars (acoustic and electric) which he plays along to adult music, favorites being Bruce Springsteen, Goo-Goo Dolls, and The Who. He also likes art and because he's always had excellent fine motor skills, he's ahead of his classmates in what he can physically draw.

His large motor skills are his one weakness; he had some hypertonic muscle tone as a baby, which we worked on. He's not really behind now, but he is a big klutz. But, as I'm a bug klutz, it could just be inherited. :-) He does enjoy being outside and running around.

Every baby is a miracle, but our preemies are extra special, aren't they?

brooklynsmom

Postby brooklynsmom » Mon Jul 15, 638289 8:33 am

Oh Wow, girls are so hysterical! Brooklyn is quite the little "performer" too! My 34 weeker was 3 lbs 10 oz at birth, and 16 inches long, and is now 31 pounds and 36 or so inches...hasn't been measured/weighed in a few months...she is now in a lot of 4T clothes, and she isn't three yet...this is the very first time we have had to buy clothes BIGGER than her age!:) Her daddy is tall...I think she got some of those genes! We had our last swimming lesson last night and we got to play in the waterpark area...Brooklyn wanted to go down all of the big slides by herself...and you have to be 42 inches tall...try explaining that to a strong willed, very independent toddler! UGH!:)

ckthomas05

Postby ckthomas05 » Mon Jul 15, 638289 8:07 am

Carley is 10 months. She's a 33 weeker who weighed in at 2 lbs 15 oz and was 16 inches long. She now weighs 15 1/2 pounds and I can't remember how long she was at her last check up - DH and I are short though so we're not expecting her to be the Center on the Basketball team :)

ozierja

Postby ozierja » Mon Jul 15, 638289 5:36 am

Too funny Kathy, sounds like something Kelly Ann would say! My 2.1 pound, 27 weeker is now 30 pounds and 3 1/2 years old. She has not missed a beat and is taking over her preschool class. Her class took an imaginary trip to China and when I asked why China she replied that Africa was closed because it was too hot.

kathyc

Postby kathyc » Fri Jul 05, 638289 4:58 am

This is a great thread! All these little miracles! My Audrey was a 33 weeker and weighed 5 lbs 2 oz at birth. She is now 4 years old, tall and thin (like her Daddy) and sharp as a tack (again, like her Daddy). She is starting to read now and is amazing. The only lingering effect I see is some minor clumsiness that is apparently due to her low muscle tone. She loves pre-K, and she especailly loves her ballet class.

She's also really, really funny. Most recent example: Audrey was asked, "What's the opposite of the word 'top'?" Her answer: "Skirt!" That's my girl!!

pld0804

Postby pld0804 » Thu Jul 04, 638289 10:05 pm

Holly was born a month early and was small due to IUGR - 3lbs 15oz. She is now 14 months old and 16lbs 4oz. She's very tiny, but more than makes up for it with a very strong personality! She can cruise along furniture and stand without holding on to anything, but has yet to attempt that first free step. She's also saying a few words now which is so exciting for us!

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Thu Jul 04, 638289 8:52 pm

LOL well Similac must be making cream LOL. =) =) He was only PT breastfed for 8 weeks, til I dried up. I kidna hope he slows down on the growing a bit, he doesn't even get to wear his cute clothes LOL. Plus Im afraid he's going to go to college in a month or 2 at the rate he's growing LOLOL.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”