Sick full-timers ... UGH!

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
cindync

Re : Sick full-timers ... UGH!

Postby cindync » Thu Sep 24, 637998 7:23 pm

No matter what we do, our kids are going to get colds. It is a part of life. Runny nose? Keep them home? Yeah right. I would never have kids out of the house if that was the case. And I am a mother to a child that if he gets a runny nose he has several times gone into a respiratory distress state and has been hospitalized, and will spend the rest of the fall/winter/spring using a nebulizer. But he still goes to preschool. Unless they are puking/diahrea/coughing to the point that they can't talk/running a fever they go.

mommy1st

Postby mommy1st » Thu Sep 24, 637998 7:27 am

I think it's easier when you just have one to stay home if they have a runny nose or are sick(I just have one for now!). When you have the 2nd one I think it's harder to stay home but I can see how you might be annoyed that the parents are sending their kids to the class being sick because I know if someone mentions there child being sick or still getting over something I freeze up and rush my child out of the room!LOL!!

dohertyab

Postby dohertyab » Thu Sep 24, 637998 1:23 am

ok, sorry - I misinterpreted the original comment. Daycare is a bit of a sore-spot for me right now. As for classes - people don't get it unless they've been through it. I wish to believe that it's ignorance that brings people to classes...

Our sitter said she avoids lots of indoor events in the winter since so many parents and other daycare providers take obviously sick children to these places in the winter. It drives her nuts to see sick kids at these places and has made comments to other adults and has been told to mind her own business and made to feel as though she's the one at fault. Again, she's a nurse and so she says she can't sit quietly and say nothing.

Have you asked about policies at the centre regarding sick kids? Sometimes the person leading the class may think no one is bothered by it or feels uncomfortable about telling a parent their child can't participate, but there's probably a policy about it. This will allow the leader to point out to everyone in the class the rules and allow parents to think twice about coming. If it's not a big class you could let the other parents know why you're concerned about germs - it's done all the time for kids with allergies. This year there's a girl at the twins school (not in their class) who is allergic to sesame seeds - we always send multi-grain bread to school and so this girl has to eat at a separate desk for lunch. As it is there is a no nut policy for the entire school.

Good luck with the classes.

aundapenner

Postby aundapenner » Sun Sep 13, 637998 9:46 am

Heather, that's downright funny.

Yeah, I definately know that what I don't know, doesn't hurt. But shhh!!! don't tell DH!!!

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Sun Sep 13, 637998 5:21 am

Simply put, no. Mine was 'barely' a preemie, and Ella is considered a full-termer, and I still won't take her around people who are hacking and sneezing. We still (even with #2) wipe down every area she touches, keep purell everywhere, and *try* to avoid places where the sick folks are. Just this weekend at Thanksgiving, my mil invited my niece (who just five days prior had a fever of 103) to KISS Ella on the MOUTH. Needless to say, it was a very uncomfortable Thanksgiving [;)]. They still get sick, and that's not a bad thing - but I know I personally wouldn't want someone who's sick touching me or my things, so the same goes for the kiddos.

Like Michelle said, though, sometimes you just have to close your eyes and be glad you don't see half the things they do! Nicolas licked my aunt's floor last Friday because he saw the dog do it - I'm sure he picked up some party bugs from that! My mom got all over him, and I just turned my head. LOL!

aundapenner

Postby aundapenner » Sun Sep 13, 637998 2:45 am

Thanks all for the opinions.

I was indeed speaking of a once a week class and trying to figure out if I am overreacting or not.

Henry was in daycare, fulltime, from 12 weeks until 8 1/2 months of age. It was only for babies (6 weeks to 18 months) and they were very very good about cleanliness / sanitation. But, he was sick ALL the time. He had chronic ear infections, including a burst ear drum, and at 6 months, he had tubes put in his ears. He did not tolerate the surgery well (the anesthesiologist accidentally pumped too much gas and it went into his tummy - every time he passed gas after surgery he'd scream!! Not nice for a kid who already was colicky from day 9 (the day he came home), had reflux that was treated with medicine 2x daily and a dairy allergy to boot!!!).

Sadly, he knows what medicine is and we almost never have a problem giving it to him. There were so many WEEKS during his daycare stay that he was getting 6-8 doses a day of something. We pulled him out of daycare when I quit my job - I was offered a severance package and I took it - am still fighting post partum depression - though at the time, I didn't want him home with me. I didn't want to do anything.

Back to music class - it's once a week. All these moms are SAHMs. I don't get it ... is this really the preemie thing???

mama2twins

Postby mama2twins » Sat Sep 12, 637998 9:17 pm

I agree with all of you! I have accepted that there are going to be sick kids at school and daycare no matter what. I was angry at first because I kept my girls home, but all the other parents sent theirs, who in turn got my girls sick over and over again, but now I realize that is just the way it is. I will now send mine too if they have runny noses, but no fever, and are feeling fine.
BUT like Heather and I think Alice are talking about, I do not think you should be bringing your sick kid to a weekly class that you could reschedule and is obviously not effecting the parents work schedule since they also attend. The first public place that I took my girls was to My Gym classes and it was a given that it was a no-no to bring your sick kid there. You would get serious dirty looks and most likey some comments if you did that!
As far as full term vs preemie parents....I think almost all preemie parents are very considerate when dealing with sick kids...full time parents for the most part do not care too much...at least that is what I find with my friends. When I have warned them about coming over that my girls are sick, they seem confused and say "yeah and..." or they would look at me like I have 2 heads, whereas I would freak out and cancel any plans! I wish I did not care! I still cringe at the fact that they are at school all day without me to clean their hands!!!! I am so glad I am not there to witness anything!

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Sat Sep 12, 637998 6:06 pm

Not to stoke the fire ... but, I think, Alice is *not* talking about daycare and parents who send their kids there. She's talking about a parent/child class that meets once a week (or whatever the frequency) for a short amount of time. Nicolas was involved in a gym class for an hour once a week like this, and we rescheduled at least four classes because he was coming down with something. It really makes it all the more annoying when it's something like this when parents can easily make the decision to skip or reschedule that class if their child isn't well. N is a chronic allergy sufferer who, up until prescribed two meds to control them, had a constantly runny nose. To play the devil's advocate here, it's hard to discern a plain old run of the mill runny nose from the runny nose that accompanies, say, the flu. He caught the flu twice in one year - in February of '06 and December of '06.

My sil refuses to keep her school-age kids away from family functions when they're spiking fevers and cold sweats; rarely do we even get a heads-up before we arrive to the sick-den. Usually this means we do a 180 and load back into the car and leave looking like the germ-freaks we whole-heartedly admit we are. I am *much* less fanatical about this now than I was when N was younger. I realize that exposure to germs, etc builds the immune system, but I don't want to knowingly expose my child to illness. I think Alice's point (and not to mention the kids in the music class are all passing around the baby instruments with possibly infectious snot!) was stemming from the idea that these parents have an easy option of keeping their kids home while sick.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Sat Sep 12, 637998 5:37 pm

I agree that they've likely been exposed prior to symptoms even showing up, and that runny noses seem to be a part of normal childhood, and can occur without sickness. And the cough that disturbs me is the "croupy" cough where you're just sure there is green stuff in his lungs...allergies are totally different. As a preemie mom sending her kid to daycare for the first time, it was horrifying (and she was 18 months old, without ever having been sick, even through 4 cases of her parents getting the flu). But I chilled out after a few colds.

What I'm talking about are the parents who send their kids to school obviously ill. There is one little boy in DD daycare that comes to school no matter what. He often times ends up being sent home within an hour of when he is dropped off. Hmm...he didn't have a 103 fever an hour ago, but he does now. In their situation I think the parents don't have much leway in getting out of work, so they drop him at daycare and then grandma comes and picks him up when she's finished with her morning walk. But, it's enough time to spread the flu, the cold, the strep virus to all other 8 kids in the class (and the teachers). And to boot, this mom is the one I see in the office complaining that her kid is getting sent home, and why do they allow sick kids to come to daycare, and why she shouldn't have to pay for daycare for the day because someone else got her kid sick.

Catherine, I just assumed teachers were asked to get flu shots. There is one little girl in DD classroom that is allergic to eggs and can't get the flu shot, she also has asthma and her mom is holding out hope that all the other kids get their flu shot.

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Sat Sep 12, 637998 3:25 pm

After three kids... I've learned one thing, those green candlesticks of snot that dangled from other kids noses and made you wonder what their parents were thinking.... are apparently a normal physiological response to mild/harmless viruses and simply reflect the regeneration of mucus membrane. Or so I discovered when Lucy and subsequently Chloe went what seemed like an entire year like that. Yeah, right! I know that you are thinking that I am completely full of ****, but this is true. Life with a pediatrician colleague has made me much, much more laid back about stuff like this than I used to be. She won't even prescribe treatment to kids for snot until you can prove to her that they've been "ill" for at least 21 days!!!!!

So, I guess the only answer is that once they're big enough to fend for themselves at daycare, then there's nothing for it but to go for total immersion and hope to prime everyone's immune systems simultaneously. Most day cares are scrupulous about sending home the "infectious" kid.... and fever monitoring is a very effective screen. HOWEVER, my personal beef with daycare centers is that they don't ask their nursery attendants to get a flu shot (or at least ours didn't). That peeved me, you can't immunise a kid younger than 6 months so folks spending their time around children that young should at least attempt to avoid becoming infected and transmitting that to a baby!!!

Return to “Parents of Preemies”