Having a hard time giving away preemie clothes

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
susan863

Re : Having a hard time giving away preemie clothes

Postby susan863 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 05:20 pm

Don't know if you'll see this, since I'm reading your post a few days late. But, I relate soooo much! Annabella was born in June and was 3 lbs. in the NICU, and initially I couldn't bear to part with any of her things from that time period. I ended up keeping most of her clothes and finding another pre-e mommy with a preemie through this forum to send the others to (which I'm still in the process of finally sending). It's such an emotional experience, all the way around. I'm glad to know that others can relate!

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:11 am

Thanks guys! I just wanted to know that I am not alone in my feelings! I don't have any friends or family around me that can relate to my feelings.

aundapenner

Postby aundapenner » Wed Sep 26, 2007 02:46 pm

I too, took most of them back to the NICU.

My brilliant sister told me to keep his going home outfit. I didn't realize it at the time, but I cherish that outfit!!! To think that he came home in that outfit and it was HUGE!!! Sigh ... memories ...

josiah1112

Postby josiah1112 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:11 am

I am a pre-k teacher so I brought some with me to my classroom.I enjoy seeing the children dress up the dolls with them and every once in a while I'll sigh,pick one up and tell anyone who is there that-
can you believe this was Jeffrey's preemie outfit?!!

You can always hold on to them and wait until someone in your life has a preemie girl.Unfortunatly it's a lot more common than it ever was...

Another idea would be to give them to someone or a church who travels to a third world country.Preemie resources sure are limited over there!

christine lyn

Postby christine lyn » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:34 am

I had a hard time but I saved the ones I loved and just gave away the rest this past Sunday. The hospital is a great idea and also you could save them for your daughter for when she has dolls to dress. That way you won't have to part with them just yet.

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Wed Sep 26, 2007 01:42 am

I have Jay's first tiny onesie and the hat my aunt knitted him with his name on it and one tiny sleepsuit. Just to remind me how small he was. And to show him he was once smaller than his teddy bear. As he's now almost as tall as me, I'm glad I have them.

The rest I donated to the NICU.

ladybug76135

Postby ladybug76135 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 00:19 am

I gave the generic t-shirts to the hospital. I've kept all of the special outfits- 1st onesies, 1st real clothes, trip home clothes, etc. I can't part with them. I have NICU remembrance box that I keep them in. All of his BP cuffs, eye shades, etc are in there. When he gets older, I want him to see all of these things and realize how small he was.

I need to look at them occasionally. Days such as today make me pull out the box and remember how sweet and small he was. The "I'm almost 4 and I have an attitude" syndrome is kicking in big time the last 2 weeks. :)

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Tue Sep 25, 2007 05:18 pm

Some hospitals need them, and some have more than they know what to do with, so call the hospital first. But the other option is to NOT give them away. Or you could pick out a few special outfits to keep and give the rest away. Or talk to the hospital, let them know you have little girl preemie clothes and if they know of someone in need, to give you a call. Knowing who they are going to, might make it easier to give them away. Our hospital has too many clothes, so I don't have to feel guilty about not giving them away. And of course, we may decide to have another child. Take your time, and make sure you are conmfortable with whatever decision you make. :-)

mommyboo

Postby mommyboo » Tue Sep 25, 2007 04:05 pm

I had a really hard time giving away my preemie clothes as well. Of course, as soon as I did we found out we are expecting again. Donating them to the hospital is a good idea. They are always in need of cute clothes. It helps brighten the parents day when they come in and the baby is dressed in a cute outfit.

ajsmom0406

Postby ajsmom0406 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 03:52 pm

I don't know anyone but I know that the hospitals are always looking for premie clothes for parents who have a hard time finding them or can't afford them. I have some but we may or may not need them this time around. Trying to stay positive.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”