New here

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
cindyh27

Re : New here

Postby cindyh27 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 00:25 am

Kathleen,

Wanted to say welcome! Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl Elizabeth! I'm so glad to hear she is doing well, that is wonderful news! Hoping her NICU stay is short and she will be home with you soon :) Hope you are feeling better too!

emersons mom

Postby emersons mom » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:12 pm

Welcome!!! I delivered in Nevada, too, just northern nevada! Glad to hear she is so ready to breathe on her own!!! If you have any NICU questions, this site saved my sanity during our "layaway for a baby" plan.....seemed like we were waiting for the last installment payment of breast milk to take him home!!!

Best of luck in dealing with the milestones needed to get Elizabeth home!

hannahsmom

Postby hannahsmom » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:02 pm

Kathleen -

Welcome! What wonderful news that your daughter is doing so well in the NICU. Please keep us posted on her progress. She sounds like a little fighter [:)]

mama2twins

Postby mama2twins » Mon Sep 24, 2007 09:22 pm

Welcome Kathleen! Congratulations on your new baby girl! I am glad to hear that she is doing so well. I hope your NICU stay is short and uncomplicated. Keep us updated on her progress!

michelle_chandler

Postby michelle_chandler » Mon Sep 24, 2007 03:51 pm

Welcome to the forums Kathleen. I too had a 31 weeker..He is now a healthy, happy 1 year old that weighs a whopping 24lbs. This is a great place to come for support! Sending prayers your way that little Elizabeth is home with you soon. Keep us updated.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:47 am

Kathleen,

Your story sounds a little bit like mine! I'm glad Elizabeth is doing so well in Nicu. That really is the best thing we as preemie moms can ask for. The NICU can certainly be a roller coaster ride of health problems and emotions. Things changing daily. My daughter was also a 31 weeker, and weighed 2lbs 7.5 ounces....so same size as Elizabeth. Our DD did need to be on CPAP for a couple of days and some oxygen thru the nasal cannula, but never on a ventilator. it truly is a miracle how these little tiny ones can sometimes do so well. My daughter came home to us weighing 3 lbs 8 ounces, which was probably as terrifying as her entire nicu stay of 27 days.

Please do post back with updates, and let us know how you are doing as well. Preeclampsia can strike up to six weeks post partum, so I hope to hear that your pressures are doing well now, and that you are feeling well.

I, like you, wanted time with the baby when she came home from the NICU, so after my two week appointment, my doctor hesitantly gave me the ok to go back to work. I went in part-time between nicu visits. It gave me something to do, to pass the time, a little bit of income, and saved some of my maternity and vacation time for later. It worked for me, but it also depends on your health. I returned pretty much to normal within a week after delivery.

Welcome, and we're sending thoughts and prayers for Elizabeth that she continue to eat and grow so she can go home with her mommy!
Kara

kathleen125

Postby kathleen125 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 00:40 am

Hi Sarah,
Thanks for the welcome. I honestly can say that my stay at the Sunrise Marriott (NICU)-hehe, has been absolutely wonderful. The nurses and doctors have been great. I am very fortunate that Elizabeth was born very healthy inspite of her weight and size. However, it has been emotionally draining not having her here at home. Being on "maternity leave" and not having a baby at home is interesting, on top of trying to explain to my fiance that I want to be home when she comes home is another! My mom has been here for the last two weeks, so it's been rewarding to have her here with me. I remain in good spirits, I think it's the only way I am going to get through all this...I am very glad I found this site.
Thanks again and I will keep everyone posted!
Kathleen
quote:Originally posted by SaraB

Kathleen,

I e-mailed you, but wanted to publicly welcome you as well. Congratulations on the arrival of your amazing little Elizabeth! It sounds like you had a rough go of things and probably more than a few scary moments - what a relief that you are both doing well.

It's great to read that Elizabeth is doing so well in spite of her prematurity. As I'm sure you've come to know in the past 2 weeks, the NICU experience can only be described as a roller coaster. Please know that there are many here who know the incredible range of emotions you are going through, and are here if you ever need a listening ear, a shoulder to cry on, or a place to brag about your tiny one's accomplishments.

I pray that Elizabeth continues to grow and progress, and is able to be home with you soon. We love updates around here, so please check in as often as time permits.

How are YOU doing?

sarab
Site Admin

Postby sarab » Mon Sep 24, 2007 00:28 am

Kathleen,

I e-mailed you, but wanted to publicly welcome you as well. Congratulations on the arrival of your amazing little Elizabeth! It sounds like you had a rough go of things and probably more than a few scary moments - what a relief that you are both doing well.

It's great to read that Elizabeth is doing so well in spite of her prematurity. As I'm sure you've come to know in the past 2 weeks, the NICU experience can only be described as a roller coaster. Please know that there are many here who know the incredible range of emotions you are going through, and are here if you ever need a listening ear, a shoulder to cry on, or a place to brag about your tiny one's accomplishments.

I pray that Elizabeth continues to grow and progress, and is able to be home with you soon. We love updates around here, so please check in as often as time permits.

How are YOU doing?

kathleen125

New here

Postby kathleen125 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 00:02 am

I also have a two week old in the NICU due to complications of preeclampsia. I did not know I even had it until I went to the hospital to be monitored for Braxton Hicks contractions on Friday 9/7/07. At that time my blood pressure was way over 180/100. What started out at three weeks of bed rest ended up in my emergency c-section that Sunday 9/9/07. I delivered at 31 weeks, 2 days and I can very happily say that my daughter is very healthy and only on a feeding tube. She has never been on oxygen or any other life saving devices. I thank the Lord above everyday for the "contractions" that saved my and Elizabeth's life.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”