Do I really have to be that careful?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
emersons mom

Re : Do I really have to be that careful?

Postby emersons mom » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:19 pm

I am just amazed sometimes, a coworker had a 35 weeker and was never warned to keep him away from crowds or sick people, she actually went to the dentist after he was home 2 weeks and let the nursing/dental hygenists hold him while she was being seen by the dentist......i try to warn her about germs but she is convinced since the dr never said a thing that all is well......so another person thinks I am the nut...the germaphobe nut!

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Fri Jul 27, 2007 05:13 pm

Wow....that is totally unacceptable. I would have FREAKED OUT! Nurses are exposed to sick kids all day, and even though they wash their hands alot, it doesn't mean they are germ free.

ginahunt

Postby ginahunt » Fri Jul 27, 2007 02:39 pm

quote:Originally posted by annbaby3

I put him in the sling so nobody was touching him. It was nice to be out doing things and I didn't have to worry about people wanting to touch him.

The sling is an excellent idea! I recently took him to my OB for my 6wks follow up. While I was paying the receptionist one of the nurses picked up my baby out of his carrier & took him 2 the back of the office. She bought him right back and before putting him back in his seat she kissed him several times on his forehead. (all without asking me or anything) When I went to the back another nurse informed me that she had already kissed and hugged my baby when the other nurse brought him back.
Can you believe nurses did this!! They knew he was premature!

annbaby3

Postby annbaby3 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 02:31 am

I took Wyatt out pretty soon after he came home. He was just 2 months old and we had to do Christmas shopping. I put him in the sling so nobody was touching him. It was nice to be out doing things and I didn't have to worry about people wanting to touch him. People did ask how old he was though. They probably thought I was crazy to bring such a little one out. When I would say he was 2 months old they couldn't believe it.

Now everyone is different. We went out in the backyard, went for little walks, visits to grandparents house. Some people don't leave there house for a long time. I insisted that people be healthy and wash or use sanatizer before touching the baby, but family was always welcome to hold him.

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Fri Jul 20, 2007 03:51 pm

quote:Originally posted by ginahunt

Yeah I guess I should definitely be careful.
I guess with all the people around me having full term babies I kind of resent the fact that I will have to be different and can't pass my baby around as they do.

My full term baby (37 weeks0 had more restrictions on him then my 36 weeker.

He was restricted from large gatherings for the first 4 months, no day care for 4 months, minimize outings to shops/stores and if we did make sure he was not touched. This was also in the summer too when its not cold/flu season. My 36 weeker was born in October (heart of cold/flu/rsv season here), was not given any restrictions even though he had been on O2 and we suspect is because big bro was going to bring it home anyway.

ginahunt

Postby ginahunt » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:31 am

Oh thank you yes he's home. Actually the Ped didn't mention not taking him anywhere or anything of the sort. Just recommended not using a daycare.
I'm not sure why he didn't say anything but now that I have him home I realize I really don't want everyone all over him anyway lol.

cindyh27

Postby cindyh27 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 09:17 am

I'm sure your little one is home with you now :) I agree with the previous posts...

Just wanted to say Congratulations!!

Cindy

emersons mom

Postby emersons mom » Wed Jul 18, 2007 07:15 pm

Just chiming in with everyone.....we were ultra cautious and were told by our ped that our son was NOT to go to the supermarket or any public places until he was over a year old......and only after RSV season was over.......be extra careful about mosquito bites and sun too, we use mosquito netting on everything because the dr warned us that the last thing we needed was a stinger that was infected.....our son has been healthy no colds at all for over a year and his only issue is he gets super hot from sun and heat in the car and sweats lots.....so we try to keep him cool!

best of luck!

pld0804

Postby pld0804 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 05:56 pm

I agree with all of the previous responses. The best advice given to us was that our baby wasn't supposed to be here so we should treat her as if she was still in a protective environment.

Our baby was healthy, just tiny because of IUGR. She was under 4 lbs when we brought her home and we let only a couple of immediate family members see her under very sanitary conditions. Everyone else had to wait until she was 7 lbs and we wouldn't let children anywhere near her until 8 lbs. We also didn't take her out in public until 8 lbs. And of course if anyone was sick or around someone who was sick, they were off limits.

When they're little, they just don't have the strength to fight illness and they can't afford to lose any weight.

You'll find that your protective instict kicks in and this will seem normal to you. Your friends and family will understand.

We also sanitized everything until she could grab things herself to put in her mouth. There's no point when they're at that stage. Just regular cleaning will be fine then.

Good luck!

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Wed Jul 18, 2007 05:30 pm

I had one almost-full termer and one who was a full termer, and I was/am a complete germ fanatic. If you aren't the mama, dad, or a grandparent, then you don't need to be pawing my baby! Seriously! When DS was a baby, an old lady reached in his baby bjorn while he was strapped in and wiped his mouth with a used kleenex she pulled from her pocket! That was all it took for me!

Return to “Parents of Preemies”