Growth Curve for IUGR Babies

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
missgamecock

Re : Growth Curve for IUGR Babies

Postby missgamecock » Wed Sep 14, 637994 10:00 pm

Kirsten was 5lbs when born but quickly dropped off the chart. As long as they are following their curve, it's ok.

Kirsten is now 8 1/2 and 75% for height and 50% for weight.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Tue Jun 16, 637992 5:09 pm

I have a really good update - Holly is now 9 months old, 14 lbs and I'm proud to say, she's now on the growth charts! She just crossed the first percentile. It's a huge milestone to me and for some reason I feel like I'm able to relax a bit now.

That's great! Neither of mine were IUGR but both spent time at less than 3% or below the curve. Both girls were around 15 lbs at 9 months and 17 something at a year. Finally made it to 20 lbs around 18 months.

But my 2 1/2 year old still weighs less than 24 lbs. She was 22 lbs 6 oz at her 2 year appt. And her sister who is almost 4 just hit 30 lbs this summer.

I got so tired of all the "don't you feed them?" comments. UGH!! Thankfully my Ped. was never concerned about their weight since, like you said, they just followed along their own curve. And they eat like little lumberjacks - they just burn it all off with constant motion!!

pld0804

Postby pld0804 » Fri May 01, 637992 1:10 pm

Wow, thank you everyone for your comments. It helps to know there are others that have also worried about this, even though I don't wish that for other mom's and their babies.

I have a really good update - Holly is now 9 months old, 14 lbs and I'm proud to say, she's now on the growth charts! She just crossed the first percentile. It's a huge milestone to me and for some reason I feel like I'm able to relax a bit now.

hannahsmom

Postby hannahsmom » Tue Jan 28, 637992 3:05 pm

Hi, Patti!

My DD was never even on the charts for the first two years of her life. When she turned 3, she was in the 5th percentile. She just turned 6, and is now in the 75th percentile [:D]

I used to cry to the doctor about how underweight she was and he assured me that she would be fine. He was right!

Best of luck to you and keep us posted!

mommyboo

Postby mommyboo » Sat Jan 18, 637992 11:47 am

All but one of my kids is still below the 10%. I get asked all the time if they are in the right grade and if I feed them enough. None of them were IUGR but all were early and have just followed their own growth curve. I think in our case, a lot of it is genetics. I'm only 5'5 and DH is 5'9. My 7yr old is the smallest in her class. I just keep saying that everyone is different and there has to be someone who is the smallest. As long as they aren't dropping on the curve, even if it is 1%, and as long as they are reaching their adjusted milestones, then there is no need to worry. My little 7yr old is only in first grade but reading at a 3rd grade level so it hasn't affected her development. Who knows, maybe she'll grow up to be a gymnast or something.

raetay

Postby raetay » Sat Dec 14, 637991 5:37 pm

Hi,
I am late in responding to this, but it is exactly the question I had on my mind tonight! My son is 5 1/2 and still at -10th percentile (yes, 10% below the growth curve). He had major feeding/oral aversions/reflux for the first two and a half years, so it made sense that he was so small. Now, however, he eats well but still isn't catching up. His pediatrician wasn't worried about it because he was following his own little curve. But after this last visit, his height had fallen off the curve.
So she sent us to a GI doc who ran tons of blood tests (things that had already been run) and, of course, they all came back normal. She sent me on to an endocrinologist. I couldn't get in to see him until October.
But it did start me wondering if the little IUGR ones who don't catch up by age three EVER catch up. Sigh. Poor guy. He's in kindergarten now and all the classmates try to pick him up. (His teacher is telling them not to). Or people laugh because his back pack is as big as he is (admittedly, it is pretty funny looking). Right now, he seems mostly oblivious to it. But the other day he asked me if I knew he was "a little small".
I got into the bad cycle of trying to force him to eat, he resisted, and it became a feeding/oral aversion. Which is SO hard to break! So I'm trying now to take it easy, get the most healthy food into him that I can (always slathered with fat of some sort) and let him just grow at his own rate.
-Rachel

dohertyab

Postby dohertyab » Sun Sep 15, 637985 5:29 am

I was informed that if you try and force your preemie to a curve that there is a higher risk of health issues later in life (such as diabetes). For sure have some things checked out to make sure there isn't a physical or hormonal thing happening, but if she's doing fine developmentally otherwise, then try to not obsess on it (easier said than done I know). We just pretended that they were born 6 months later (only 3 months early) than they were and wow look at that they followed the growth curve fine. They're now 6 and doing fine - one finally at 25% but the other one is 3% still. However, she can swing on the monkey bars no problem since she has so little weight to carry - there you go an upside to it!

It was fun when they were younger and people would say "don't you feed them?" oh that's right I'm supposed to feed them every day aren't I? I knew there was something I forgot to do today... After buying everything full fat, adding oil to everything and gaining extra weight myself with all that yummy food in the house.... Ok. really I'm over that now.

So keep an eye on her, but some kids just have to be the small ones. I also think it's easier for a girl than a boy, so you have that going for you.

Andrea
Tara and Rowan (May 2001, 29 weekers, HELLP)
Maeve (March 2005, 36 weeker, low fluid)

mother bear

Postby mother bear » Fri Aug 23, 637985 12:07 am

Don't forget genetics! I'm 14 inches shorter than DH. Michelle's great-grandma is 4'9", and Michelle's grandpa is 6'6". DH is genetically uber-skinny, as is the rest of his extended family. My side of the family is on the slightly chunkier side. So halfway through the pediatrician's lecture on how she wants Michelle to weigh more, she always glances over at uber-skinny DH, and makes some comment about genetics. Kinda silly, as DH was born at just over 11 pounds. Vaginally. But of course the pediatrician doesn't know that.

At around 12-15 months, they did testing to make sure there wasn't any underlying conditions, and nothing came up.

cindync

Postby cindync » Mon Aug 12, 637985 1:45 pm

My son was IUGR, 3 lbs at 32 weeks. He has never to this day registered for weight on the percentiles, adjusted or actual. He is currently 25 1/2 months old, and weighs not even 21 pounds. His height is only 9th percentile. My daughter at the same age was 95th percentile for height.

But he is healthy, and I suppose he follows his own curve though he is not on it. He has had testing done to make sure there are not any problems causing his small size, and all was fine. Endocrinologist says he has 14 years to worry about his size!

mother bear

Postby mother bear » Sat Aug 10, 637985 9:10 am

Well, mine was born at 3% for corrected age, proceeded to drop below the curve, and has stayed there at the same point relative to the 3% line ever since then. We'll see what the 18 month appointment coming up brings. Probably still not 20 pounds. Ah well. At some point you give up freaking out about your kid's weight and just go on living life. She's got at least 18 more years to catch up with her weight, and if she doesn't, then at least she won't have to worry about childhood obesity, diabetes, and heart disease at a young age.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”