35 weeks and being induced

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
deannainlasvegas

Re : 35 weeks and being induced

Postby deannainlasvegas » Thu May 03, 2007 01:55 am

My son Jayden was born via emergency C-section at 35 weeks. My platelets dropped to 23,000. His platelets were at 20,000 he weighed 5 pnds 11.8 oz and 18.5 inch. he did pretty good with the exception of his platelets he was in the NICU for 9 days. Even though its a bit early they tend to do fairly well at this stage.

hhbeachgurl

Postby hhbeachgurl » Wed Apr 25, 2007 06:06 pm

Ansley was born at 35w3 days... she was 6lbs 13oz and had no breathing problems but we had been given steroids at 29 weeks when I was diagnosed. The only problems we did have was major jaudice the doc said was from being early. She came home at 4 days old but was back in the hospital at 6 days for jaudice, but once we got that taken care of all has been good. She is 6 weeks now. Good luck

caitlynsmama

Postby caitlynsmama » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:27 am

I had the same problem with my second pregnancy as you have with this one (low blood platelets). I am sure I am late in responding to this but Gennavieve was born at 36 weeks weighing 5 lbs 11 ozs and her lungs were fine. She has had no problems with coming before 40 weeks. Her growth has continued to be in the 50% in both weight and height. She will bypass her former 30 weeker sister sometime, I am sure. So, with Ms. Genna even though her c-section was totally planned, it was bumped up a week but two years later both us are fine. Good luck to you!

meg

Postby meg » Mon Apr 23, 2007 05:04 pm

my son was delivered at 35 w 4 days. He was fine! Never needed O2 or anything, roomed in with me from day one and went home on time! Good luck to you!

paige_va

Postby paige_va » Thu Apr 19, 2007 05:42 pm

Isn't it interesting how a bunch of 36 weekers can have such different experiences??? My son was born at 36 weeks on the dot. His lungs were great and he never needed even a puff of oxygen. The first night, he was having trouble keeping his temperature up, so they had him under warmers in the regular newborn nursery for a few hours, but that was all. He went home with me when he was 3 days old. Good luck to you!!!

dohertyab

Postby dohertyab » Thu Apr 19, 2007 03:46 pm

Hello. My third was born 36 weeks and was 6lb 2oz and was breathing on her own, nursed right away, roomed in with me and went home 4 days later. I stayed in the hospital with her that time. She did have jaundice and low glucose but all treatment was done on the regular ward and we spent 0 time in the NICU. This was at ******** in Hamilton. They can be fine at 36 weeks! Good luck to you.

PS although my twins were 29 weekers and just 2lbs and did have NICU time (77 days) they're now happy healthy almost 6 year olds who haven't had any preemie isssues (regular child issues, yes, but nothing I can really blame on the preemie thing) since they were released from the hospital.

Andrea
Tara and Rowan (May 2001, 29 weeks, HELLP)
Maeve (Mar 2005, 36 weeks, low amniotic fluid)

lbdefelice

Postby lbdefelice » Wed Apr 18, 2007 01:03 pm

Alaina was born at 36 weeks and she weighed 5lbs 12oz. After delivery, she had trouble keeping her temperature and blood sugars stable. She went into the special care nursery and was placed under the warmer and also had an IV for 24hrs which stabilized her temperature and blood sugars. Once I got off the magnesium, we were able to room together. We were both discharged by day 3. She did lose more than 10% of her bodyweight by the time of discharge, so I did have to supplement while nursing and take her for daily weight checks for 4 days. Good luck with everything! Keep us posted.

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:27 am

Mason was born at 36 weeks on the nose (I was induced at 35 weeks 6 days, I was going to be induced at 35 weeks 4 days but the hospital was full).

His lungs were mature but still in transition (ie still wet, I think the official name is wet lung disease) and thus he was on O2 for 3 days and came home when he was off for 24 hours. He was awfully stubborn and stayed on less then 2% O2 for almost 48 hours! He was release the day after i was.

Other then that, he was bigger then my 37 week baby by a pound, had no problems with holding his body temp or with blood sugar. He developed a slight case of jaundice on day 4/5. His big bro, on the other hand, almost ended up under bili lights (he was .5 away), had blood sugar problems and couldn't hold his body temp. I also got to see my youngest a lot sooner then my oldest. Being in the special care unit, I could go right down and in, my oldest had been stuck in the nursery where no one could see him (because he wasn't stable to be let out but not quite bad enough to send to the NICU) and wasn't released for almost 15 hours. I also wasn't on mag with my youngest so I could hold him and feed him without passing out!

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:25 am

My daughter was delivered at 31 weeks, but had stopped growing (IUGR) around 28-29 weeks. She was small for her gestational age at 2lbs 7.5 ounces. She spent 27 days in NICU, and did extremely well. We still have some complications from her being a preemie, but rest assured that your 35+ weeker is only a week and a half from being considered full-term. 35 weekers usually do VERY well, and often don't have to go to the NICU at all, or for only a few hours. Some end up in NICU for a few days, for things like jaundice or blood sugar issues, which are pretty common. We wouldn't want you to be unprepared for that. They usually have a pretty good suck reflex at this age as well...though it may take a day or two for baby to get the hang of it. At this stage, with preeclampsia, babies often do better outside, than inside the womb. It's better to have a little bit early baby, than a sick baby (and/or sick mommy). We have a handful of 35 weeker mommies who have great stories to share with you....and I'm sure they will be along shortly! p.s. if you've had a recent U/S they should be able to give you an approximate weight for baby. Sometimes that is reassuring as well! Please keep us posted!!

mommy1st

Postby mommy1st » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:21 am

I am sorry to hear that your platelet count in dropping and that you weren't able to make it to full term. Although almost at 36 week is great! I had my son at 33 weeks and he stayed in the NICU for 16 days but I have heard that most 35 weekers are able to go home with the mother. I am hoping that is the case with you. Sorry this wasn't much help but I am sure some moms of 35weekers will chime in soon!
Good luck and keep us posted with everything!!

Return to “Parents of Preemies”