Late potty training

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
jenn
Forum Moderator

Re : Late potty training

Postby jenn » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:27 am

Rachael,

I understand what your going through. My 6 year old ,Jaidyn, took until she was 4 to make pee-pee in potty and until she just turned 6 to do both "duties" and say goodbye to diapers.
If the kiddo' checks out just fine with your ped... maybe it too will be a case of waiting like we did.
I know it's tough emotionally and physically for you both.
Hang in there.

Just some tricks that encouraged Jai:

1. New potty seat with a favorite cartoon on it. (even though we already have about everyone potty chair ever made)

I encouraged using the little potty that fits onto the real toilet.
Less trouble switching from a separate chair to the toilet.

3. A few new inexpensive books with favorite cartoons awaiting a visit to "the throne". Changing it up with new books aways helps, I always told her they we're potty books that could only be read in the potty.
Never lose a chance to read with your kiddo. [:)]

4. Kandoo wipes and hand soap are also fun do-dads that make the potty room fun. The Kandoo wipes come with visual instructions that my Jai got a kick out of. It showed the lil' frog wiping is own hiney and washing his hands.
Too cute, and she loved it.

So anyhoo, most of these your probably telling yourself you've done.
But I thought I'd throw it out there.

Best potty wishes!!!
Jenn

P.s. sensory issues where a huge problem for us.
Does your lil' guy have any trouble there?
Just thought of that.

caitlynsmama

Postby caitlynsmama » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:31 am

I am at the same issue with Caitlyn. She will be four in August and is still not regular with her potty training. I believe I need to ask her ped about encopresis. She withholds all the time and has terrible constipation from it. She knows "exactly" what to do but will not do it at home, just at Grandmas. I do know that she cannot get into pre school or dancing lessons as she is trying hard to do without being potty trained. So, you are not alone in the least.

annes
Forum Moderator

Postby annes » Thu Apr 19, 2007 09:43 am

Thanks Sabrina! We have talked to the pediatrician about that, but (luckily) he is very "regular", just not that interested in the potty. He has done it, just not consistently. So we are keeping an eye on the situation.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Wed Apr 18, 2007 01:47 pm

Anne at age 4 you may want to have him checked for encopresis.

annes
Forum Moderator

Postby annes » Wed Apr 18, 2007 08:40 am

I don't know the answer to your questions, but wanted to let you know you are not alone! Parker will be 4 in July and is not potty trained. He'll do #1 in the potty, if you ask him to, never on his own, but #2, forget about it! He was a 33 weeker, and speech is not a problem, he just seems uninterested! I am sure you can relate to being really tired of cleaning poopy bottoms! We have tried all the "tricks" and books, no luck!

raetay

Late potty training

Postby raetay » Tue Apr 17, 2007 03:00 pm

Hi,
This post is similar to the previous post about potty training, but a little different so I decided to start a new thread. My son is going to be five next month and is still not potty trained. His issue, however, isn't speech/language related. I actually don't know what the problem is. He'll go for two or three weeks clean, and then two or three weeks with an accident every day. I have four kids (he's my third and the youngest is already potty trained), so I know all the normal tricks - sticker charts, rewards, etc. But it just doesn't work for this kid. I talked to the pediatrician last year at his check-up and she said to just give him time. But now, here we are a year later, and still having the same issues. This will be one of the reasons that he won't be starting kindergarten in the fall. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a normal preemie issue? Did it resolve on it's own?
Thanks,
Rachel

Return to “Parents of Preemies”