walking delays

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
reneesmom

Re : walking delays

Postby reneesmom » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:13 pm

Thanks so much for all the great advice. I posted an update about our recent PT check-up under topic "Reneesmom". You are all so helpful. I appreciate your feedback and ideas.

mama2twins

Postby mama2twins » Tue Jan 30, 2007 01:50 pm

Here I am!..sorry for taking so long to respond...we were at Disney!
I would be concerned if Renee was NOT doing all the things you mentioned like pulling to stand, cruising, and walking with a push toy (or chair in her case!). "Normal" age on most developmental profiles for walking is 12-15 months adjusted, but it is pretty common for preemies to walk later than that. My girls completely gave up crawling and would stand up again after falling at 18 and 19 months real age and I'm a peds PT! It was frustrating because they started standing and cruising at around 10-12 months real age and took that long to finally walk independently...and that is what often happens.
I know that developmental/PT appointments can be a little nerve racking because you are worried they are going to tell you something is wrong, but if she has been doing fine at all the previous appts, I really doubt you have much to worry about all. If they feel there is a reason why she is not walking, the may recommend PT just to get her caught up. It is pretty common for preemies to have a weak trunk and lack the stability to completely let go of something to walk. That is what I see most frequently and we work on strengthening the weaker muscles and on future developmental activities such as standing up from the floor, and squatting from a standing position and getting back up again.
One question, has anyone ever mentioned that she is low or high tone? You mentioned something about getting massage to help with her tone. Either one can be a reason to get a little behind, but she WILL walk when she is ready!
Good luck tomorrow and let us know what happens! Try not to worry, she sounds like she is doing just fine!

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Mon Jan 29, 2007 09:40 am

The fact that she pulls up and cruises is great!! She probably just has to get up that confidence to do it herself. So if they don't do PT for her, you can be assurred that they think she is doing fine for her adjusted age. And if they do reccommend some PT. well, it can't hurt, and will help her build that confidence! If you haven't already, I would try getting her to walk on different surfaces...low pile carpet, smooth sruface, like wood floors, or vinyl, etc. Sometimes fluffy carpet can make them feel unsteady. Hopefully Michelle will be around sound...she's a PT and preemie mom.

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Mon Jan 29, 2007 00:33 am

From what I understand, every kid is different, and the "normal" range for walking is before 18 months. - corrected age. So she still has some time. At the eval they may decide to resume therapy, but if so hopefully it will help her continue to progress. It sounds to me like she has a lot of the pre-walking skills down, so she is on the right track. Does she stand without holding on to anything?

darcynulph

Postby darcynulph » Mon Jan 29, 2007 00:28 am

I went through that with my daughter as well. Once they decide to walk watch out because they are on their way. Madeline walked at 16/mo so I don't think that you are off by that much due to your dd prematurity. I noticed that there times where they are ahead and then stall and fall back before they catch up. You are a normal preemie mom in my opinion, we all worry. One thing I still notice is when Mad gets tired she stumbled and trips a lot more, she had an IVH so I watch her carefully. You are not alone in your concern, but it sounds like Renee is getting great care.

reneesmom

walking delays

Postby reneesmom » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:25 pm

I'm wondering if other preemie parents have been worried about delayed walking. My DD is 19 months old (16.5 corrected age) and is not quite walking yet. She is pulling up on everything, cruising along furniture and will walk when pushing a chair; but will not take any steps independently. She has been getting weekly massage to help muscle tone and we have had a monthly PT check-up with home exercises from April to November. In November, she had made enough gains with crawling and sitting that they felt she didn't need to come back until January. We are going this Wednesday and I guess I'm getting worried that they'll be concerned about her still not walking. I'm curious to know whether other parents had preemies who were this late walking and when/if you would become concerned. Although I'm so glad they are following her closely, I always dread these check-ups for fear they'll tell me something else is wrong.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”