Prior preemie inguinal hernia surgery

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
season
Forum Moderator

Re : Prior preemie inguinal hernia surgery

Postby season » Fri Jan 19, 2007 08:40 pm

MY ds was 4 before he was really able to listen to his body's signals, go to the bathroon on his innatiative and cared about whether he had accidnts. It reallys eemed to click all at once. Evena fter that he does not always get the clues from his body well. he's 5 and still races to teh bathroom, someitmes not fully making it. he syas that he went as soona s he felt like he needed to, but to me it looked like he waited. All that to say, each child figures this all out at soem point, when they are ready. My dd started asking to go potty before she turned 2. now at 2.5 she's basically day trained. On the other hand, ds was drya t night by age 3 (So it was never and issue of ebing abel to hold!?!)

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Fri Jan 19, 2007 03:52 pm

If there has been a seed planted by an earlier ped that Caitlyn might experience difficulties, then I would be sure to follow that up. Jay had a testicular hernia op when he was around 3, I think.

Having said that, Jay wasn't potty trained until he was 3.5 and went from being totally diapered to totally dry (inlcuding at night)literally overnight. "Only babies wear bappies" he announced one night and we had to rush out and let him choose lots of underwear. I'm sure it was peer pressure at daycare. Letting them choose their knickers can help, too.

As to not paying attention: we had to watch Jay for a long time after because if he was absorbed in something, he would ignore his needing to go until it became a crisis. (That can still happen at 8!) I don't really blame them - surely there are many more interesting things to be doing than sitting on the loo.

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Fri Jan 19, 2007 03:36 pm

It could be possible. I know with Alex we thought it could be a sensory issue (since he has other sensory issues) and we often wondered with Mason if perhaps the hernia surgery caused him to have less muscle control (because he was not dry at nighttime until he decided to potty train)or for it to take a longer time to develop.

We really talked up the difference between a baby and a big boy. Mason wanted to go to preschool and we told him he couldn't until he was potty trained and we didn't let him do other things because they were big boy activities and he wasn't a big boy yet (like play with his brother's game boy!).

caitlynsmama

Postby caitlynsmama » Fri Jan 19, 2007 02:25 pm

Thanks Erin,

I am guessing that my typing lazy came from my mother and grandmother saying that she should have been trained at 2 and that she and I were "lazy" (thier words) because she is not trained at almost 3.5 years old. She goes regularly for a little while and then she gets caught up in the I want to play instead of stopping mom. I have never had her say that she wants to go on her own. I always have to ask or literally put her on the toilet. The arrival of her sister when Caitlyn was 23 months old really threw her for a loop in some ways. She sees Genna having a bottle and she wants one, or Genna getting a diaper change and she wants one. But I have cotton training pants and pull ups and she has had her victories in staying dry and going to the bathroom when I ask her but never on the impulse on her own. When she had her surgery her surgeon said that her female organs were slipping in one of the hernias and he had to put them back and I know that has nothing to do with her using the bathroom but is it possible that she does not have much for nerves down below?

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Fri Jan 19, 2007 02:05 pm

Mason had the double inguinal hernia surgery and an umbilical hernia (his self repaired after the surgery). He potty trained finally 3 years 8 months and 2 weeks (almost the exact time his older brother potty trained).

While many girls are successful by age 2, its probably closer to 2.5-3 the average for them and 3-3.5 for boys.

Neither of my boys cared about being wet or messy. THey simply didn't have the time to be bothered with using the toliet. With that said, Mason DID use the potty at least once a day since he was 15 months old (this was about the time we were heavily trying to get Alex trained as well). But it was always on his terms and when he wanted to and did not equate to potty training.

With both boys, they simply woke up one day and insisted they were ready for underwear and never looked back.

I am a little concnered that your equating not wanting to use the tolit instead of playing as being lazy. While I suppose it could be, children that age do not understand the word lazy nor are they inclined to be lazy. It can simply be that developmentally she has not yet made the leap required to potty train and nothing you do will speed that up. Further, playing could be the priority because thats the developmental stage curently being focused on. Many children develop asychonously. Thus, one area will get way far ahead and the others have to catch up. In some kids the leap for potty training happens first (my cousin self trained at 14 months) and sometimes that leap happens much much later (as in the case of both my boys).

caitlynsmama

Prior preemie inguinal hernia surgery

Postby caitlynsmama » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:42 am

Caitlyn had a double inguinal hernia surgery as well as the belly button surgery right after she came out of the NICU. Have any of your preemies had this done? Any lasting effects? I have had a TON of problems potty training Caitlyn as she seems to struggle with going to the bathroom and does not care if she is very wet or if she has a bm in her pants. She has had some victories lately but I am wondering if there might be more than just being lazy and wanting to play instead of going to the bathroom going on here. I have to get Genna to the girls ped the first week in Feb so I am wondering if I should schedule an appt for Caitlyn around then as well. I had a ped when she was an infant tell me that there are problems with her opening down there and that she might have problems going to the bathroom when she gets older but the ped she has now has never looked down there.

Thanks- confused mommy here. I feel that I am going to have my 171/2 month old potty trained before my three year old.....

Return to “Parents of Preemies”