Down in the dumps over parent-teacher conference

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
emily kates mom

Re : Down in the dumps over parent-teacher conference

Postby emily kates mom » Sat Jan 13, 2007 09:46 pm

Suzanne,

I'd love to get together sometime. It would be great to meet you and the others.

I hope everything works out for Hannah. I will pray for you guys!

If you are concerned about Hannah not recieving testing or other things that you think are necessary, there are ways around that. I may be able to help you there - I have also taught in the public schools, and my SIL teaches in the Pensacola system. Let me know if I can help!

Allison

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Sat Jan 13, 2007 04:09 pm

Suzanne,

I know just how you feel. We've been through this many times with Jay over the years. We were told many times that he would just catch up. I would caution against relying on that - as we did. It took us until Grade 2 to have Jay fully assessed and diagnosed. The result was that he wasn't reading and was failing everything. Since we have had his learning disabilities identified, he has gone from not meeting grade expectations in anything, to only not meeting them in writing skills. Before Christmas, the school board gave him a laptop and that is how he will now proceed. From flunking spelling every week, he now gets full marks - he was being penalised for his difficulties in printing. From not being able to read, he now (after spending $1000/month on a specialized tutor), reads well.

It has been a huge boost to all our morales to have him go from a clearly bright but failing child, to one who is finally on the road to flourishing and having his needs met.

He also is in the grade above where he would have been if he'd been born on time, but no one wants to keep him back a year because another facet of his genetic condition is his extreme height (he's 8 and wearing age 12). But if we'd had the option at an earlier stage (and he wasn't so darned tall), I wouldn't have worried about it.

And yes, the right teacher can make all the difference.

hannahsmom

Postby hannahsmom » Sat Jan 13, 2007 02:53 pm

Thanks, Allison - you made me feel a lot better [:)]

We are going to request a different teacher next year.

We should get together! There is one other person in my area in the PF and 2 or 3 in the Mobile area, and you and at least one other in Montgomery. We should plan a meeting of the northwest florida/Alabama chapter.

emily kates mom

Postby emily kates mom » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:18 am

Suzanne,
I know how you feel. I teach at a private school in Montgomery, and I may be putting my liitle one in K4 a year early next year. I'm not sure if she is quite ready, but I am going in knowing that she will have do it twice. She was a 3 lb. preemie, which I know is not nearly as small as Hannah was, but Emily Kate has has somewhat of a speech delay herself. This was the only feasible solution to have Emily Kate in a good program that had the same hours I teach- all of the other good places are like 9-1, which doesn't work for teachers! :)

I teach 3rd grade, and I can tell you that having a child that is one of the older ones in the class CAN make a huge difference - even in Hannah's self-confidence. As a teacher, I am THRILLED that my Emily Kate will be one the older ones in her class. (She was due in Nov, but came in Sept.) At the beginning of each year, I can always tell the older ones from the younger ones - without even looking at their birthdays! I have also taught both K4 and Kindergarten, and the kids ay that age really have no concept or repeating. Can Hannah have a diffrent teacher next year? To a child that age, having a different teacher the next year can help them when talking to friends about their "new" teacher, even though they are in 2 different grades.

I know it is easier said than done, but try not to worry too much. We as mommies tend to worry more than we need to. If you ever need anything e-mail me! BTW, I think we are pretty close to each other - right up 65! I also have family in Pensacola.

Allison

hannahsmom

Down in the dumps over parent-teacher conference

Postby hannahsmom » Sat Jan 13, 2007 08:58 am

Well, it looks like Hannah may have to repeat kindergarten. We knew that she was young, but we wanted to try it. The cutoff to get into kindergarten is September 1st, and her birthday is August 24. Had she been born on time, her birthday would have been around November 24, so she would not have started this year. But she did so well in pre-k and aced the kindergarten readiness test, so we enrolled her in K. I told them right off the bat that I wanted her tested for speech and OT, since she had had them in the past. I knew if she went without the services for too long, she would fall back behind. Well, she still has not been tested, but the counselor finally came and observed her. So the teacher called me in for a conference along with the principal. She is not where she should be at this point in the year. She's doing great in math, but her writing and reading scores are really low. She probably won't be promoted to first grade. They said they don't think she has a learning disability. They just think she's young, and with time she will catch up just fine. So in otherwords, she's going to have to re-do kindergarten. I knew this was a possibility, and I told myself that if this happened, I would just be happy that she was able to attend this year and get a whole year of learning. But now I can't help but feel devastated. We did so much - pushed, begged, pleaded to get her the therapies she needed because she was just barely over the line and didn't qualify for therapies, but we found ways to get her in. But these people don't think it's the therapies she needs, but more time. My mom is a teacher and told me it would be best if she's held back now instead of being retained in first or third grade. She also asked if I wanted Hannah to always be at the bottom of the class or at the top of the class. I know they're all right, and I should count my blessings of how far she has come, but I'm just really sad.[:(][:(]
Has anyone else been through this?

Return to “Parents of Preemies”